HSV Forum

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last >>

GUIDE - HSV VF R8 - Brakes, Wheels & Tyres (GTS applies to tyres)

Ok so time to give a bit back

As some of you would've seen, I've been trying to get information on the above and there is no real solid source of info... So trying to sort it out as per below based on what I've found.

Feel free to contribute if I'm wrong or you know further informations!!!
    Lets start with the easy one...

Brakes - HSV R8 only (at this stage)
    Below is some basic information that will help you all out. DBA released a rotor this month as well (Jan 2015)

Front Rotor: 367mm x 32mm (Min thickness 30mm)
    Front Caliper: AP Racing
    Caliper Code for brake pads: CP7040

Rear Rotor: 367mm x 28mm (Min thickness 26mm)
    Rear Caliper: AP Racing
    Caliper Code for pads: CP7040 (still confirming this)

DBA Part number for Rotors: I dont have this yet, will advise
    Pads: Plethora on the market to choose from depending on budget/performance.

I've confirmed with Matt from Racebrakes in Sydney (forum sponsor) he has the new DBA rotors ready to go. Pads are easy - give them a call, they looked after me on pad pricing last week & Forum Sponsors keep places like this alive afterall!

Tyres for Street only duties - HSV R8 and GTS Models
    Now this is where it starts to get complicated. The issue with the VF HSVs and tyre options is the load rating. The load rating is so high that the tyre options currently are very slim as some of us have found out. The standard tyres are a Continental ContiSport Contact 5P.

I'll explain the important numbers and why VF HSV tyres are a PIA for those playing at home that don't know why they mean

Fronts: 255 / 35 / 20 97Y UTQG: 300
    Rears: 275 / 35 / 20 102Y UTQG: 300

"97" being the load rating of - 1609lb / 730kg
    "102" being the load rating of - 1874lb / 850kg

The "Y" is the speed rating is 186mph / 300km/h

The load rating is critical for insurance purposes. You must have the same of greater.
    The speed rating is usually not a major sticking point for insurance purposes. However check with your insurer if you are unsure on the speed rating side of it.

If you'd like to read far more detail about what things like UTQG and Load Ratings mean, check these exceptional articles located here:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35 - Load/Speed Rating in detail
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48 - UTQG in detail

For the sanity of the following bit I will assume HSV owners want at least "as good" performance as the factory tyre with the list I'll put below. So there might be other options with worse grip (more KMs out of them) than factory but they are not listed.

TYRE options as @ Jan 2015 are below
    In UTQG order (lowest to highest). All tyres listed below come in front/rear compatibility.

LEGEND:
    - ** denotes options/sizes are not exactly as factory (ie, the profile or width differ to standard, but may fit depending on what you want)
    - UTQG Number as the last item

Nitto NT05 - 200 (note, only W speed rated, load rating OK).
    Pirelli P Zero Run Flat - ** 220
    Pirelli P Zero - 220
    Dunlop SP Sport Max - 240
    Nitto Invo - 260 (note, only W speed rated, load rating OK).
    Bridgestone Potenza S-001 - 280
    Bridgestone S-04 - 280
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 300
    Yokohama S-Drive - 300
    Continental ContiSport Contact 5P - 300

Comparing UTQG cross brands often brings conjecture, however in my 12 years of playing around - if 3 tyres carry a UTQG of 200 - then in the dry - most of them will provide reasonably similar level of grip (all other things being equal like tyre pressure, track temp, both sets new etc etc).

There are other factors like how a street tyre performs at the track - will it go "off" after 2-3 track days/heat cylces etc. That is a totally different discussion however.

The Nitto Tyres are only rated to 270km/h, still totally acceptable for 99% won't even get to 270km/h in their lifetime

That's all for me currently. I hope this is of help to people. If you have feedback - post away. Or a new tyre comes on the market post up, I'll go back and update and if I missed a tyre option

I'll post up some more information on wheel and tyre options (more track focused) in 2-3 weeks as I'm still in the middle on working a few things out still information wise (and costing viability) and lemme tell you - some of it is pretty bloody TASTY what I'm looking at! I will also try to cover off some options for GTS owners as well as a mate has one and I'll help him with the homework.

Till next time!
    Last edited by VFR8; 19-01-2015 at 08:00 PM.

***Holding post for Rims and other points of interest to come

Also if someone has the GTS Brake information, post up and I'll add it to the one post to make it a true guide for all HSV VF

Mate, thanks for this. To get a good picture for all HSV owners I think you need to start with an earlier series, let me suggest, oh I don't know, how about the VZ series?! :P

haha that's a bit too much work, and I wouldn't know where to start.

If people want to add more on or whatever (a bit of a wiki style of information gathering) then can do - would be another thread though. VF HSVs and the Load Rating just make everything a misery for those that don't understand what it all means. This thread seeks to alleviate it.

VZ you can pretty much use anything on the market!

On other forums I've seen them put part number threads together and all sorts of cool stuff to make lives easier. Although that is more difficult cars (grey imports), not a Holden where to get a part number - most parts guys are pretty johhny on the spot with it.

thankyou so much for making this thread . if you get time can you post links to buy the aftermarket front and rear brake pads too ?

Links to buy them?
    sales@racebrakessydney.com.au is all you need to know!

^ yep, just contact Racebrakes.

Quote Originally Posted by hsv-cigars View Post
    thankyou so much for making this thread . if you get time can you post links to buy the aftermarket front and rear brake pads too ?
    You've got the caliper code, that's all you need to find your own stuff if you want to do it - I'm not going to do that leg work for you.

The pad choice is endless and another LONG thread about which pads suit which applications and so on.

But by the time you've spend 1-2 hours researching every pad under the sun you could've just spoken to Matt @ RB Sydney on the phone and had an answer in 5mins about what is suitable and the products on their way. Time is money

keen to read what wheel offset's work best for a mild to wild stance on HSV VE's (incl when the need to roll guards etc)

Was: E3 S/C Maloo
    Now: Audi RS3 (11.00 & 136MPH)

Haha won't be going the "wild stance" - more a function option for people doing track work etc. Main issue with most people making 20" rims is they are stupidly heavy.

I've worked out that selected 18" rims will fit over the front brakes and lots of 19" options... 18" makes track work bloody cheap! Measurements etc to come.

Also secondly been pricing tyres etc - Nitto NT05s currently in HSV VF spec, $1100-$1200 for a full set. Won't see better priced 20" full set IMO. Crazy value.

Thread Information