Restoration of black vc brock hdt manual build # 089 after 10 years of slumber
Early in November 2013 I was fortunate to hear of another black manual VC travelled 55,900 kms, that had been owned by its second owner since 1987 but it had been resting in its place of slumber for around 10 years.
I was sent a couple of photo's and told there was some surface rust on the paint work and shouldn't need much to fix it up, inside it was very good and the kms genuine.
I got the contact details for the owners and made a phone call, which went on for an hour or so. They where thinking of restoring it themselves and also selling it.
I said I would love to come and have a look at it and if it was for sale I would love to be able to buy it, a ball park price wise was spoken about and there was some difference in what we where both thinking. They said they would need a day or so to thinking about it.
A week or so went by and no phone call, well I couldn't help myself but make the call.
They said that they where open to selling it and gave me a price and said they would be happy to sell it for that, I asked when can I come down, which was the next morning and after a near sleepless night I was off with a couple of mates to uncover a sleeping beauty (or so I was hoping).
Greeting us was a car that hadn't turned a wheel for about 10 years that had been in a garage un covered, that was near the beach on the Gold Coast. It was purchased by the owner in 1987 and due to health problems hadn't been used or started for around 10 years.
Here are some photo's of how it was.
After having a good look at it and seeing how big the job was we made a deal and the car left with us to under go a full resto a new home and to graze with some old friends.
After getting back to Brisbane I dropped it off to my mechanic late in the afternoon and I returned the next morning to check the under side of the car and see what other surprises where to come.
Under enough the car it was pretty good considering, there was no structural rust but plenty of surface rust on the chrome work, exhaust and just about every other part.
The next thing I wanted to check was the engine, so out came the plugs and they looked really good so without plugs we where able to turn the motor over so we contacted a battery and turned it over on the starter motor and she sounded great and we got oil pressure on the gauze.
So the plugs when back in and we fired it up on carby cleaner and she sounded sweet but it became clear the exhaust was not going to make it.
Nice that's the only way to do it ...did you sandblast underneath also ????
My new favourite thread . . . I don't know you but based on the equipment you have had over your journey I can imagine this VC will end up perfect . . . I would luv to see it in the flesh some day!
Underneath wasn't that bad, we didn't need to sand blast it, we just degreased it, pressure cleaned the hell out of it, cleaned it and painted it. There are more photo's to come.
Originally Posted by poorman
Thanks Sniper. I am down to re zincing every nut, screw, bolt and nut at this point.
Originally Posted by Sniper
I would love to see some of your lovelies myself.
brilliant thread, good to see another oldy brought back to life.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)