HSV Forum

Page 2 of 16 First << 123412 ... Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVGTS125 View Post
    It will be interesting to see where this thread goes, I entered the car era with the early HSV cars and never really appreciated some of the Brock ones until the early 2000's.
    Watching the HDT DVD in 2006/7 was probably when I enjoyed the journey of HDT rather than knowig about the demise as HDT always seems to be remembered for that more than the great era of car building.
    Funnily enough it wasn't Brock who made me enjoy the history but the 2 mechanics who told their version of events. It gave the story "Personality".
    For me though, I am a fan on the post Brock cars (VN Aero and VG Magnum). To me the Aero package gave the VN a great modern look that enhanced the car rather than make it look like a horrible VN/ VG hence the reason I built my own VG Magnum replica years ago.
    for me the VN Aero gave HDT a great start to a new era but unfortunately lacked "Sole" that only Brock could deliver!
    G'Day Mate.
    Well, the VN Aero,..... not one of my favouries I'm afraid, but I can tell you a few things about it. It was the first model built by the Collorafis after they bought HDT from Brock. It was designed & built in their Springvale premises, where there was a separate office for Brock, who was "supposed" to be a consultant. Anyway, when the Aero was still in the design stage, the prototype was on the factory floor, & Brock was invited over to see what he thought. Well Brock didn't like the integrated rear spoiler so he started to attack the prototype, much to the horror of the Collorafis, who showed their displeasure, because Brock was never seen there again!
    I actually wrote the wording for the VN Aero brochure. In return I was given an ultra ultra rare HDT VK brochure, detailing a black Director (which I had at the time) & a white Group 111,...beautiful artwork, pages separated by tissue paper etc....never seen another one like it.
    The Collorafis actually tried very hard to make things work, ex HDT members Chris Sewell & Jeff Thisgaard were valuable members of their team. However, without factory support, even Brock couldn't make it work, so they were behind the eight ball from the start.
    Pickles.

Great inside story mate but I still love that VN Aero. That wing to me sets that car off.
    Anyway back to the real HDT era

I missed a critical item in the VKGPA A9L road going combo . . . to get the emissions and ADR thru at the time with the Crane Cam HDT & Holden had to build the Group A with a stock VK 6Cyl EFI exhaust system . . . but Brock new that this would not appease GPA owners so HDT had the "Big Bore" (HDT Speak) fitted by dealers should the buyers want . . . and in many cases HDT actually fitted it at Bertie Street - unofficially . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    In return I was given an ultra ultra rare HDT VK brochure, detailing a black Director (which I had at the time) & a white Group 111,...beautiful artwork, pages separated by tissue paper etc....never seen another one like it.
    I have seen one of these and hope you still have your brochure. Along with those two cars it also included the VK Calais making it even more unusual in that it featured both Holden and HDT models together in the one brochure. I have also seen another VK Director brochure in black and white that looks to have the Black Director parked alongside a White Group 3.
    Corsa

It would be good if you could post up some of these older brochures . . .

No, most of my HDT stuff was sold years ago.
    Pickles.

Another great thread, thank you Graeme. Now I was just a kid in the days of HDT, didn't get m enthusiasm for cars till just after the birth of what is now HSV, but I knew enough to know these things had street cred! Although I have a passion for HSV, I don't consider myself a HSV man, I'm a Holden man, so it does not have to be HSV to gain my interest. When the car bug bit me, it bit hard and I wanted to know as much as I could learn about the Holden product. (for me this started in 1988/9) I was 10 years old. The old man was a Holden nut, so naturally thats the direction I followed. The old man bought me a book, titled "HOLDEN, The official racing history" written by Stewart Wilson and published by Chevron Publishing group. Great book, which I have read many times and still have today. So I have taken some photos of the adds and publications in the book and hope you guys don't mind me adding them to this thread. I have tried to keep all photos/add's relevant to the HDT era.
    Again, Thank you
    When enough just isn't enough!

caption read, 1st release from HDT stable, which is obviously incorrect. Stated that 513 units were built

This was taken in 1980 in the HDT workshop

obviously out the front of the HDT shop

Thread Information