HSV Forum

Page 3 of 17 First << 1234513 ... Last >>
    Hi I have also read all the info you have outlined here , before I made my decision NOT to fit the solid Coupling, as I have said the wear and rattle from the original coupling I believe is caused by incorrect installing from the factory, not enough preloading applied to the spring, allowing it to rattle on the shaft,

You can read all the information you like ,my advice is based on what actual happened when we did the works , before you decide talk to some one how as changed it .

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    From everything I have read about the ZL1 and CTS-V all the guys are changing the standard one with the spring because of blower rattle at low rpm etc.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...12&postcount=1

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...88&postcount=1

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...24&postcount=9

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=30

http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforum...&p=412#post412

This is a how to video to change the isolator the car has only 2000miles on it and it also shows wear on the shaft (also goes on to explain this is the reason for the rattling noise.....also shows how easily the spring can move within the isolator itself)

I totally agree with senator1 that shaft is way to soft (big job but resleeve it).

Cheers
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I totally agree with senator1 that shaft is way to soft (big job but resleeve it).

Cheers
    Rocky
    Yes but from how I am understanding what was released from GM is this was deliberate, if the shaft was harder then the spring then eventually the spring would fail, this would occur much sooner the the shaft failing.
    Audi, the area where the shaft is, is sealed so the metal can not get into and damage the charger or engine...so they say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When enough just isn't enough!

I was of the impression that the isolator that was causing the issue was replaced on all LSA's from 2012 onwards. Is this not the case?
    What you say will be forgotten someday, what you do will be remembered!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    I was of the impression that the isolator that was causing the issue was replaced on all LSA's from 2012 onwards. Is this not the case?
    The original isolator that is in the LSA GTS is the same items as used by GM in the States since they introducded the LSA. The original item is the one causing wear issues, The aftermarket one supplied by Harrop in stage two kit and and used in the US as a aftermarket replacement is the one when it was put in caused major rattle noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Steel View Post
    The original isolator that is in the LSA GTS is the same items as used by GM in the States since they introducded the LSA. The original item is the one causing wear issues, The aftermarket one supplied by Harrop in stage two kit and and used in the US as a aftermarket replacement is the one when it was put in caused major rattle noise.
    OK the only reason I ask is that a fellow member and I have been discussing this noise. First we believed it to be poor air conditioning pipe clamping. Now that I have heard the noise in the above video I think this could be the cause of his concerns. I hope for him its not as I would be thinking it doesn't have too many K's on it.
    I can't recall were I read that there was a replacement for ZL1's at least from 2012, I will try and search around for the article.
    Not very good for GM, unless they honestly think its no problem or its going to cost them a whole heap of bucks.....

Is the noise only at start up and at idle?
    Last edited by Nitrate; 16-02-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    What you say will be forgotten someday, what you do will be remembered!

Quote Originally Posted by moray066 View Post
    Yes but from how I am understanding what was released from GM is this was deliberate, if the shaft was harder then the spring then eventually the spring would fail, this would occur much sooner the the shaft failing.
    Audi, the area where the shaft is, is sealed so the metal can not get into and damage the charger or engine...so they say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a bearing right behind the shaft which will have pressure going through it as such any metal shavings will work their way past the bearing and into the blower....then the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    They never replaced it as seen in the autotech video image captures on page 1 on a new Gen F GTS, have also seen people replacing them for noise issues on 2012/2013 ZL1's.

The noise/rattle is noted by many people with the CTS-V and ZL1 and once changed to the solid unit the rattle is gone, as for Prussian Steel's experience i'd say he was unlucky since EVERYONE in the USA have all said the upgrade to the solid unit fixed the noise issue......also this is the only reason it is in the blower upgrade kits it serves no performance enhancement purpose.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

The whole purpose of the isolator is to connect the front drive to the super charger the holes in the isolator are snug 3 for the supercharger and 3 for the front drive, there should be no rattle with a solid unit as shown on all US forums.

The only possible cause to create a rattle is the spring in the stock unit as it can move, otherwise the solid unit is just that solid acting as a device to connect the front shaft to the rear.

The front drive pins on the shaft will locate as seen in the pic with the arrows once loaded up under rpm, when not under rpm it will not load up as much and the spring will not be wound up as much resulting in wear on the shaft. You can see in the pic the wide area each 3 pins have for movement, which will make the spring compress and contract at different engine loads.

At low rpm.....eg when everyone hears that rattle sound will be when the rods on the shaft are moved backward from the red arrows.

Also @Prussian Steel there is absolutely no way to set spring pre load as it self adjusts as seen in the above pic.

You can also see how much movement the spring has in the pic below

Last edited by GenF-GTS; 16-02-2014 at 06:49 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Run a file over a spring and see how hard it is

Gen F there is no luck involved.

This is based on experience first hand . . I believe Harrop in Melbourne had the same experience, and then they used the original.
    The aftermarket item is not a very sung fit . There would be at least half a mill clearance around each pin .

Thread Information