HSV Forum

Page 19 of 19 First << ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    How many kms had you done before it was replaced? Any idea how worn the shaft was when they took it apart to swap them?
    Hi there, Its the first commodore/HSV I had owned and I had heard about this issue through a friend, thus I thought I would just get it replaced whilst it was in for the other work. Car had around 35000kms and it wasnt making a noise when it went in. Now that is has the harrop solid isolator coupling its making one hell of a noise! I have no idea on the shaft wear or how snug a fit the isolator coupling was. The car is going back in for them to have a look on Monday. They are saying though that they have contacted harrop and that making the noise is what it is supposed to do. But this is quite loud and you can clearly hear it on idle with the bonnet closed!. Others here are saying that theirs are quiet with the solid coupling?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    It went like this:

2013-Early 2014 Spring isolator
    2014-2016 Solid isolator
    2016-2017 Revised Spring isolator

The early spring was very bad, the new spring is still bad but not as bad, it still needs to be replaced with a solid.
    So, GTSRs had the "revised" spring item.
    Is this item an improvement, and how is it different from the original spring item?
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    So, GTSRs had the "revised" spring item.
    Is this item an improvement, and how is it different from the original spring item?
    Pickles.
    Still crap and still needs replacing.
    Have seen it wearing on the shaft still, doesn't wear as bad but still wears on the shaft.

Those metal particles enter your bearings and fail the bearings over time.
    so 100% it needs to be replaced.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    Still crap and still needs replacing.
    Have seen it wearing on the shaft still, doesn't wear as bad but still wears on the shaft.

Those metal particles enter your bearings and fail the bearings over time.
    so 100% it needs to be replaced.
    Well, was the replacement "solid " item they used not any good?,....pretty strange going back to an original type item again?!
    Pickles.

Well, was the replacement "solid " item they used not any good?,....pretty strange going back to an original type item again?!
    Pickles.
    The time line is like this:

2013-Early 2014 Spring isolator (wears badly on the shaft)
    2014-2016 Solid isolator (works perfect, basically the same as Lingenfelters version)
    2016-2017 Revised Spring isolator (wears on the shaft but not as bad as the 2013 version)

In the US, "ALL" LSA powered cars were recalled and offered brand new replacement supercharger free of charge, as such loads of people jumped on this simply to just get a new blower as theirs had some miles on it.

After that point ebay was flooded with dealerships selling used blowers as low as $500ea
    Even now the market is pretty good over there, a workshop I know recently purchased 75 used blowers, to port them and have them ready for selling.

So GM/Eaton have admitted to the issue, recalled and fixed the issue by going to the solid isolator.
    As to why they went back to a revised spring which still wears on the shaft is beyond me and is still an issue, nobody wants it wearing on their shaft.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Good info, thank you.
    Very strange, have you noticed any difference in the design/construction of the revised item?
    Pickles.

Good info, thank you.
    Very strange, have you noticed any difference in the design/construction of the revised item?
    Pickles.
    Yes it is different but it still wears on the blower shaft, just not as badly. But any wear is bad as the metal goes into the bearings.

It will likely live fine during your warranty period, then the bearings will die sooner than latter and you will wish you changed it out on day 1.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Is there a video on how to do a DIY isolator swap?? Might do it myself one weekend...

Also is this the solid isolator I need, or is there better/different ones?

http://store.yellaterra.com.au/holde...ator-coupling/

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ASD14 View Post
    Is there a video on how to do a DIY isolator swap?? Might do it myself one weekend...

Also is this the solid isolator I need, or is there better/different ones?

http://store.yellaterra.com.au/holde...ator-coupling/

Cheers.
    Lingenfelter have a download on the website for a pulley swap this is the same steps needed to swap it out.
    As for Yella Terra no idea I have trust issues so only use Lingenfelter, not willing to be the guinea pig.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Should the rattle and clunk noise reduce a lot once the car is warmed up.My MY15 was perfect GTSR not good at 4000km.
    My guess is yes and genf gts is spot on with the blower built time-line. Why did they go backwards in isolators. My gts lsa was perfect.
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 1 Week Ago at 11:44 AM.

Thread Information