HSV Forum

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last >>

Exclamation Gen F GTS Failing Part MUST CHANGE!

This thread is to detail a critical part on the LSA blower that many ZL1 owners have had problems with.
    It is vital to long term engine life that you change this part on the car asap.

I will be doing mine before any driving takes place....literally off the truck into the garage and then 1hr later I can go for a drive.

The failing part:
    Isolator Coupling on the Super Charger.

This car only had 60,000 miles on it. You can see how bad the spring isolator ate into the shaft.
    60,000 miles use:

The wear marks on this are not normal at all....compare it to the car 2 pics below this one which also has marks but it only 1900miles old....still bad but not as bad as this one.

60,000 miles use:

How to fix:
    Either remove the top of the blow as seen in the picture or unbolt the supercharger and lift it up a little to slid the front snout off.

Thinking this wont happen to you?
    This Isolator has only 1900miles/3057km's on it

1900miles/3057km's:

Even only 3000km's on the car and this one looks pretty bad so get on to it asap. If concerned about driving with it until you get the part needed, do not flog it keep it out of boost, but get it changed asap, short and long term this will be bad if not fixed.

The part you should buy is here:
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE

$54.95 - This will directly replace the factory spring loaded isolator coupling that can sometimes cause a rattle at idle or partial throttle. This solid isolator coupling is made from PEEK engineered plastic resin material that has a melting point of around 650 degrees F & a maximum continuous operating temperature of around 450-500 degrees F. The solid isolator coupling is a direct replacement to the original isolator. Antaeus Labs
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 06-09-2014 at 06:18 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Thanks Gen-F GTS as the information is most useful, however can one person ascertain whether this was picked up by HSV before the engine was built and installed into our vehicles?

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

And void your warranty.....

Quote Originally Posted by jkhsv View Post
    Yes, I'd be checking how this would effect warranty? Logically you would assume it would only effect warranty on that part, it's not like you are changing boost or modifying for different performance, just replacing a known faulty part. If the diff breaks, I can't see them knocking it back because you changed a part on the blower (which is not altering boost) obviously???
    Although if you had an issue with the blower, they may try to say its due to that part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When enough just isn't enough!

I've heard of one GTS and an import LT1 that had the pulley upgrade and were already showing wear at 1,000km or so but the replacement is noisy or causes a vibration? To be honest I forgot about this. Not sure now whether to worry or not. Premature wear is a warranty item.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBVFGTS View Post
    Thanks Gen-F GTS as the information is most useful, however can one person ascertain whether this was picked up by HSV before the engine was built and installed into our vehicles?
    It is a stock GM part it is used on all LSA engines, it was not changed by HSV as I have seen the same spring loaded version in the autotech video when they do the pulley upgrade. The problem is the spring is wearing on the shaft and grinding it down, the faster it spins (higher rpm) the more it grinds down the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by moray066 View Post
    Yes, I'd be checking how this would effect warranty? Logically you would assume it would only effect warranty on that part, it's not like you are changing boost or modifying for different performance, just replacing a known faulty part. If the diff breaks, I can't see them knocking it back because you changed a part on the blower (which is not altering boost) obviously???
    Although if you had an issue with the blower, they may try to say its due to that part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you were to have any issue with the car particularly the blower i would advise re-installing the original and they will then not be aware.

It is very simply to remove the original and replace with the part that wont cause any issues like this.

If anyone changes their one soon they will be able to confirm they too have a spring loaded version, I will also confirm once i take delivery and change mine, however as said you can see the "bad part" in the autotech pulley upgrade video.....or simply call some shops who have completed pulley upgrades they will all tell you it has a spring loaded version. This is also the reason why it is changed out when upgrading as it is a POS and once the blower rpm is increased via pulley upgrade the wear on the shaft will be even faster.

Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    I've heard of one GTS and an import LT1 that had the pulley upgrade and were already showing wear at 1,000km or so but the replacement is noisy or causes a vibration? To be honest I forgot about this. Not sure now whether to worry or not. Premature wear is a warranty item.
    The original spring loaded version is noisy at idle and vibrates this was 1 of the reasons guys with ZL1's wanted it changed since it rattles around in there not being the best fitting part hence why it grinds down the shaft.

It's up to you but I would be changing it asap it's really not hard. If concerned or not mechanically minded any local mechanic can do it in under 1hr.

Here are some screen shots from the autotech video on a new Gen F GTS you can see it is the spring loaded version.

Here is the comparison shot again from the ZL1 as you can see the part is the same as the GTS

Quote Originally Posted by jkhsv View Post

G'day John was thinking the same thing mate. Can't be to careful these days

GenF-GTS:- Hopefully HSV will pick up on this issue quickly if they haven't already and do a recall for this issue. Is GM doing this for the LSA's in the USA or is it up to the owner to perform this mod themselves?

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

We'll as bad as the 60,000mile shaft looks it hasn't failed. With that being near 100,000km I can't see them recalling them. The Callaway cb4 was never recalled was it?
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4
    Water Proof Arrma Kraton on 6S: https://youtu.be/ZZMs7dDCCAY

#21 2001 VX R8 series II
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport
    #771 2010 E2 GTS

Thread Information