HSV Forum

Thread: Painting

Painting

This seemed like the only 'appropriate' location.

It's a noob question for those painters out there.

I know how to paint acrylic clear, block back and then highly polish for a nice glassy finish.

My question is what about enamel. If I sprayed something with a plain colour, gloss enamel out of a rattle can, and find a couple of blemishes, do I block them out and light rub the whole thing and then cut and polish? What if I wanted extra protection with a coat of clear gloss enamel? Do I rub back colour, then paint clear?

Just a bit confused what I can do with gloss enamel

Quote Originally Posted by bonners View Post
    This seemed like the only 'appropriate' location.

It's a noob question for those painters out there.

I know how to paint acrylic clear, block back and then highly polish for a nice..

Just a bit confused what I can do with gloss enamel
    Hi Bonners, to be honest the paint out a can is far too thin to polish, you will either flatten through,polish through or leave slight flattening scratches, plus aerosols wont have hardener added (called 1pack and with the hardener 2pack). 1k paints will wash off or mark if any kind of solvent touches it. Plus will fade in the sun after a period of time. Rather than polishing you would b better just flattening the imperfection with some 2000 rubbing paper ( usually wet) then recoating it again. Just try and keep it dust free! Keep it raised,of the ground ( mind always wear a mask, even with aerosols). Can I ask what ur painting??
    Good luck!

P.s if you want to give it a clear coat ( again using aerosol, you don't need to flatten between colour and clear. Just don't leave it too long in-between coats). Also if the colour has blemishes you can flatten with 2000 then clear over the 2000 scratches, just make sure when u flatten you don't go through the colour or you will need to reapply it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Redhotone; 15-08-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks heaps for the advice. This is something I have done

Very nice, youve got a few decent business ideas mate i hope they pan out for you.

Out of interest how much are you looking to sell for, including the extinguisher? Also will you be doing custom designs and colours?

Real name Brady

SV6000 #0024

Very nice , is that with a can or gun? If its can, youve done a good job getting it on evenly, I'd recommend giving them a good wax & microfibre to protect the paint either way!
    Also agree , could b a good money earner for you!

Thanks guys. Yeah out of a can. I've just learnt to take my time and get decent even coats on.

These three ones are different painting methods I did.

Green one is actually the vht high temp enamel. It's the one I was actually asking about as far as sanding out blemish. The paint itself was smooth. But I made it glass smooth with a cut and polish after about 5 days

White one is traditional heron white base coat, clear, rubbed back and cut and polish

Black one is actually phantom base coat but actually has an enamel clear. Not perfectly smooth but still good.

If you're interested can you please send me a message.

Best job I've seen from a can m8, I think your green one with the high temp paint should last a lot longer than the other two, at least you can compare them over time!
    Ah well, I've been proven wrong, I thought it wouldn't b thick enough to flatten and polish, and its solvent resistant!( In my defence I have only been using 2k paint for the last 20 + years lol!) .

Thanks. I'm really happy. Not being a professional I'm stoked with the results

Thread Information