HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Best helmet to buy

To all those that do track days and strip. I started looking for helmets and realised there are many to chose from brands and prices. Any Ideas considering it won't be used that much and I'm pretty sure I don't need a fan in my helmet.

If you're not planning to ride a bike, half face for the win in my own opinion - I have a Bell and its quite comfortable especially on hot days..

You're best to try any helmet on before you buy as my other 2 motorbike helmets are different brands and sizes..!

Was: E3 S/C Maloo
    Now: Audi RS3 (11.00 & 136MPH)

Most of the cheaper ones are fine for in car use IMO. If I was riding a bike, i'd invest in a more expensive one but for something that only gets used maybe a week out of the year and is surrounded by plenty of metal and airbags, I don't rate it quite as vital.

Personally, i've got a HJC full face with a clear visor, the missus has a M2R. Both are comfortable but as said, if you can get away with a half face, you may find it better as it can get quite warm sitting there waiting to get on the track. Just make sure they meet whatever requirements you need to, some of the older ones won't have the appropriate ADR approval but if you're buying new, it shouldn't be an issue.

Having a look at Phillip island track day website and the requirement is a full faced helmet. Nah I won't be riding a bike.

I got mine off FleeBay, very cheap........

I bought one from frasers for 90 bucks, full face in Matt black and complies to AS

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current rides:
    VF HSV Clubsport R8

Quote Originally Posted by SV300 View Post
    I bought one from frasers for 90 bucks, full face in Matt black and complies to AS

same for me, $89 in mat black, I went about half a size up and made sure I would still have enough head room,
    just, its nice to be able to get it off easy once your on the return road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cheers andrew

I used to ride bikes, and think of helmets a bit different, I always used the line a $2 dollar helmet for a $2 dollar head....
    I believe you dont have to spend the earth but buying a good brand is vital, and anything with a Snell Memorial rating is very good too. The Snell memorial rates helmets a bit like an ANCAP rating on cars and its accepted for race use etc as well. So for me anything with a Snell rating and semi reasonable brand is worthwhile.

Regarding a comment about second hand helmets, you DO need to be careful because once any helmet hits about 7 years old or has been dropped a few times, the polysteyrene shell isnt worth a cracker it goes solid like cement and offers no protection at that point.
    Like I said, Im looking at this from a motorbike rider point of view, but I do track days in the car and figure why wear it if it isnt offering me protection...

Back to one HSV in the shed... But its a Gen F GTS so I arent complaining!!

Firstly when buying a helmet for bike/car price doesn't matter so long as the helmet your purchasing meets AS standards. But what does matter is the fit, one brand of helmet doesn't fit everybody head, you simply need to try on helmets & what fits best is the one for you. I ride bikes & my head shape only tends to fit Shoei helmets so I have to spend more but they are a safety investment & if they fit badly your going to have pressure points.

I'm going to try a few on in store and maybe shop around online for the same size/brand that fits me in store. Can't believe the price of some of them.

Thread Information