Page 3 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>
    cool towbar
    "skiing is for little FAT kids"

Some pics of the towbar on the ute:

The new trailer:

And out for a practice run:

Ready for the summer season....

Steve C

Looks great Steve, is it a little on the low side? Looks fine for your purpose but if you were to put the average box trailer on there, would it be too low?

You may be able to over come the height problem. You can get differnent height tow balls .

White_lie...You're right it is reasonably low. The Austrailian standard for towing says the towball centre should have 350 - 460 mm ground clearance when fully loaded. I am flirting with that 350 figure but it is legal. I am constantly looking at other vehicles, and Ive seen some cars with lowered suspension which have towbars, and must be way less than 300mm height without load.

My trailer sits low, so its not a problem for my setup (I discussed it with the company that made the trailer and we even considered fitting wheels/tyres with a smaller rolling radius to suit the ute, but agreed that it wasnt necessary)
    I admit it would possibly tow a bit too nose down with other trailers.

I was hoping I might still be able to open the tailgate with the trailer hooked up, but it wasnt to be. The handle sticks up too far on the trailer hitch

Thanks hotrodtwo.
    I was aware that I might be able to get a different flange mounted towball, but I havent looked into yet. The towball fitted is the one which came as standard with the Witter kit)
    I will probably check it out later as it would be nice to have the flexibility of towing other trailers, but then again I wouldnt want it too much higher as I dont want the kart trailer 'nose up'.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve C; 30-08-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Is the the arm that drops below/under the bar lower than a normal tow bar? I am concerned how low it gets going up/down driveways and whether it would scrape.

It sits a bit lower than the tail pipes yes. I would estimate it has the same potential to scrape as a ute with a 20-30mm suspension drop.

Havent managed to scrape it off anthing when towing yet.

Cant comment about if it scrapes when going in/out of driveways because i've not had it fitted any time other than when towing.

Hi Steve, sorry to resurrect this older thread but I'm about to get my first HSV Clubby sedan (2011 model) and intend to try the same thing in February - since I only get to Eastern Creek about 4 times a year. Great post btw! I wanted to ask you some follow-up questions.... So how has your hidden bar been performing since September?

You mentioned using a Ford Kuga type Witter hitch. Looking at their website, they now have 2 types: Kuga 1 (C394) & Kuga 2 (C520). The Kuga 2 is for a 2013 model, and Kuga 1 for prior models. Can I presume you used a Kuga 1 type on your car?
    (I noticed the Witter site's Kuga pics don't look like yours - so hopefully Witter placed generic pics)

I've been trying to find dimensions of the Witter too - particularly the inside length of the detachable hitch bar. I'm going to take measurements of my bumper to check enough room for the towball from the bumper. Can you confirm the length of your detachable hitch bar?

I also noticed you chose a Detachable Flange Towbar over a Detachable Swan Towbar. Any reason behind that decision?

cheers, Sam.

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by 376ci View Post
    Hi Steve, sorry to resurrect this older thread but I'm about to get my first HSV Clubby sedan (2011 model) and intend to try the same thing in February - since I only get to Eastern Creek about 4 times a year. Great post btw! I wanted to ask you some follow-up questions.... So how has your hidden bar been performing since September?

You mentioned using a Ford Kuga type Witter hitch. Looking at their website, they now have 2 types: Kuga 1 (C394) & Kuga 2 (C520). The Kuga 2 is for a 2013 model, and Kuga 1 for prior models. Can I presume you used a Kuga 1 type on your car?
    (I noticed the Witter site's Kuga pics don't look like yours - so hopefully Witter placed generic pics)

I've been trying to find dimensions of the Witter too - particularly the inside length of the detachable hitch bar. I'm going to take measurements of my bumper to check enough room for the towball from the bumper. Can you confirm the length of your detachable hitch bar?

I also noticed you chose a Detachable Flange Towbar over a Detachable Swan Towbar. Any reason behind that decision?

cheers, Sam.

Hi guys could you post up any information that isn't confidential regarding this set up please as I want to do this to my 07 Senator and would like to have and see as much information as possible.thanks

Thread Information