HSV Forum

Page 2 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>
    Same here, I'm keeping a close eye on this one, I race karts, I'm using my ute to tow at the moment, never considered fitting a tow bar on the clubby because of what was required, but this has my attention.
    When enough just isn't enough!

Good stuff..I'll keep the updates coming then.

I found a video on youtube of Witter testing one of their detachable towbars on a bmw X5. They bomb round a test track with 2.8 ton in the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0Wfp5ZW84

That should be ok for me then considering I'll be hauling a few hundred kilos.
    To be honest the video does drag on a bit, but you get the jist by skipping through it.

Steve C

Thought I'd better just post a bit of an update..in case anyone thought my idea had just tailed off...

Quite the opposite though!

Its been all systems go, but Ive been covering a lot of shifts for guys on annual leave..and have so far this year only spent 4 weeks at home in my own bed!

On the plus side the bank account is fit to burst..so Ive put down a deposit on one of these kart trailers, built to my own spec*. Complete with Holden wheel stud pattern & mp3 stereo + sidchrome toolboxes.

* The wheels fitted in the picture are 20's and for promational purposes only. I have requested that the builder tries to fit a 17 or 18" wheel as similar as possible to the 5 spoke VY2 maloo/clubsport wheels on my ute. Obviously, I can then fit a pair of clubsport wheels at a later date as the trailer will accept holden rims

Trailer2.jpg
    Trailer3.jpg

Getting the trailer wrapped sting red may have to wait til later in the year, as I've promised to take my girlfriend on holiday before I blow anymore $ on things with wheels! haha

So I have in my possesion:
    -Standard HSV towbar, which I have stripped and prepared for welding.
    -Donor towbar: A Witter invisable/ detachable, which I had sent to my old man in the UK first. He then took some measurments for me and confirmed that with a bit of work it should fit the HSV bar and clear the rear bumper, and hopefully (if my calculations are correct) be totally invisable when not clipped into place).
    -I have also sourced a wiring harness with a 7 pin flat plug (obviously I have specced the trailer to have a 7 pin flat too), which piggybacks straight into the right rear tail light.

I will be home in just over a week so hopefully things will start to come together, and I'll put some pictures up of the finished article.

Cheers
    Steve C

Note:In case anyone is wondering, the donor towbar Ive bought is a Brand new Witter detachable, specifically for a Ford Kuga. It is rated to tow 2100kg, with a maximum towball weight of 110kg. Basically it is more than up to the task! The HSV Hayman reese type towbar I butchered was only rated to tow 1600kg. The trailer I will be towing is unbraked and rated to a maximum weight of 750kg. Happy days.

It cost me a LOT of personal time to research this, as all i had available to me were online pictures/google images, with no dimensions. I then made a shortlist of towbars that LOOKED like they might be suitable, and because no manufacturer would play along with the idea of me fitting the towbar to a vehicle it wasnt specifically intended, they werent exactly forthcoming with information.
    In the end I was reduced to contacting private sellers on ebay/ gumtree. I felt a little bit guilty as I had to string a few of them along that I was interested in buying their second hand bmw/audi/land rover/whatever towbar, and asked them kindly to give me some information about part numbers & dimensions.

In the end the winner looked like the model above. I then bought the new item direct from Witter.

Am I mental? Possibly.
    Hopefully it will all be worth it.........
    Last edited by Steve C; 29-04-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Great Work Steve,very interested in this.
    I have a HSV VE Senator but I noticed you setting up for a VY Maloo which I assume is totally different unfortunately.
    Anyway will keep an eye out for the outcome.

was only thinking of this the other day actally, great too see your putting alot of time and effort into it. Will be a fantastic final product.

Trailer will look the goods once done too, congrats mate

Real name Brady

SV6000 #0024

Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I have a invisible towbar on my VZ clubsport, it's mounted behind rear bar and tongue bolts up from underneath coming around bar when needed, actually had the same setup up on my VS clubsport, I don't like the idea of it coming thru bar either, ruins the car! On my VY 2 maloo I had to get a towbar fitted, which they cut a nice square thru bar, then the tongue actually sat right up against bar concealing cut out quite a bit. Had the towbar fitted at a local place, did a great job considering I was so fussy with it, and cheaper by far than holden too
    Her car -05 VZ Clubsport R8 manual, Impulse Blue:
    Lots of mods , lots of power!
    My car - 02 Gu 4.8 patrol. 35's front locker. sliders, 4'' lift etc. Turbo to come!

A long awaited update!

I have finished the project and have some pictures.

I dont have a full blown photo reel of the build as I'm not really into that sort of thing..So you'll have to use your imaginations a bit.

This is the towbar I had sent over from the uk

Note the neat little feature that needs a key for the quick release mechanism.

I also got my father to cut a section of the towbar and sent it so I could check out the exact way the mounting point was welded to the cross bar. I was actually quite surprised at how little weld there was (The picture is crap, and ive already chopeed a bit off it, but there is only a seam of weld along the outsides, none on the inside!) Although if you work to the rule of thumb that 1 inch of decent weld is good to hang 1 ton of static weight then i guess its not really that surprising)

Next I mounted up the holden towbar which I had stripped back to a bare bar, including paint removed. No pics.

After a bit of head scratching I came up with a couple of templates:

Now imagine an A-team style montage of me cutting, grinding, drilling, welding and painting......

Note I have erred on the side of caution with the old welding. Dont want the thing falling off now! I have also added some webbs to give some additional rigidity.
    Also I have added a hole for the chain shackle to bolt through. I am very confident the removable part will never fail, but if it were to, the trailer would be connected directly to the cross bar section and not the tow ball part, if that makes sense.

Sorry I havent got any photos of it on the ute but I will definately add them later (This is a bit embarassing but I dont own a camera, these pics were taken with the girlfriends camera) My flashy new trailer will also be ready in the next week or two.

My only grumble with the entire project was that I couldnt manage to set up the towbar so it would clear the rear plastic valance. Well, thats not strictly true, I couldnt get it set up up so that the ball would be at a legal height (it would have been below the 360mm minimum) and would have meant trailers would be a bit too nose down.

So unfortunately I had to chop out a small section:

I was really dissapointed to have to do this, however I can live with it because the part I removed is only noticable from anything lower than a dogs eye view, as demonstrated:

So overall I am pleased with the result.
    I have a euro style towbar, which can be fitted or removed in a matter of seconds, and is completely invisible when not in use. (Just that damn cut in the lower plastic haha)

Thanks for loooking,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve C; 25-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Good stuff Steve, props to you for fabricating something that should be easily available but isn't. Looks like a top notch job and doesn't appear to have taken much out of the rear bar at all. Certainly nothing noticeable

very nice mate, and done very well. any thoughts of getting it legalized and out to the public?

Real name Brady

SV6000 #0024

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Good stuff Steve, props to you for fabricating something that should be easily available but isn't. Looks like a top notch job and doesn't appear to have taken much out of the rear bar at all. Certainly nothing noticeable
    Thanks for the comments gents.

You are right. The 'tube in tube' type towbar is a 30 year old design now. The fact that australian made cars have no alternative options to bring towing into this millenium is appalling & embarrassing.

Imagine spending $50,000+ on a new car and ticking the option box for a towbar. "Yep mate, just let me go and grab my hacksaw blade."

Quote Originally Posted by Strick View Post
    very nice mate, and done very well. any thoughts of getting it legalized and out to the public?
    None what-so-ever.
    For me it was just an exercise to see if I could build the towbar I wanted.

Steve C
    Last edited by Steve C; 29-08-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Thread Information