HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

VR Senator & GTS Shifter

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if someone can tell me how the factory manual console and shifter boot was arranged on the VR Senator and GTS 6 speed models. Did they use the same rubber boot common to all manual Commodores? Did they have the 6 speed shift pattern decal fitted and if so, where did it go (I seem to remember top right of the shifter trim)? Did they all use the Lion/Helmet embossed shifter knob? Does anyone have any pics of their VR 6 speeds. I imagine VS is the same.

I have some VR 6 speed console parts here and I thought I might grab the rest, just in case I ever did a conversion down the track. I know the shift knob is like hens teeth but I still might be able to pick up the shifter boot. Has anyone ever seen the manual trim that welds into the console overlay on the Senator and GTS models. It seems to be hard to find too.

Chris.

Both the VR and VS had the same console surround although the VS GTS had the carbon fibre look added over the top. VR GTS was plain grey plastic (i owned both models). Senator you'll find was woodgrain. The shape of the plastic surround is the same as the normal auto as opposed to the standard manual, meaning it isnt flat along the bottom. The HSV 6 speed layout was in the top right corner and is still available. The rubber boot is identical to all VN-VS manual cars. Both VR and VS had the HSV logo on the top of the shifter

I have picutres of both but cant access photbucket to uplaod them here
    Last edited by HSVGTS125; 22-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks mate. I have a manual woodgrain surround here and I just laid it over the top of one of my spare HSV auto console covers. It seems the whole console cover is different for the 6 speeds. The 6 speed woodgrain trim is about an inch wider than the auto woodgrain trim, meaning I can't simply pop out the auto part of the console cover and fit a manual version. If that makes sense.

Bit of a bugger actually. I imagine the 6 speed manual console cover in VR grey will be near impossible to find.

Chris.

when I had my VR GTS it was already out of production. The part number of the surround was identical to VS which was still available (doesnt make sense huh). It ended up with the VS surround anyway. My VR one had a slight crack which annoyed the hell out of me.
    What you said about the difference makes sense, and its frustrating when things appear the same but arent. All manual surrounds these days are hard to find

You're right about being frustrating. I took a pic of the different size surrounds. You'd think Holden would have just used the same large console cover and just changed out the smaller piece inside when building the trim for manual cars.

See how the 6 speed woodgrain trim won't fit. Damn them!

Chris.

Think there was some slight differences between the vr and vs i try get some photos up in the next few days of the two, there real hard to get though I saw a new one go on eBay for $1100 and a second hand one for $600.

Pics would be good. There was a second hand VR Senator 6 speed console overlay on eBay a while back that failed to sell the first time for $300 and I think it sold the second time for that much with only one bidder. Seemed a bit rich for me at the time but I guess I was wrong. For $600+ I'll likely abandon the idea and if I ever go 6 speed I'll just use an auto console overlay and modify it to look nice. I'll see what eBay turns up anyway.

Chris.

hi i found this pic on another forum and am pretty sure this is the brand new one that sold on ebay for $1100 all the vr 6speed cars i have seen around and on carsaless site seem to have this one

and this is the type the vs models seem seem to have, like i said only a slight difference just round the ash tray

im heading back to home this weekend so can get you some detailed pics of the one in mine if you like?
    i remember having a good look at mine once when i had it out and it looked pretty cheaply made from what i can remember

Both those look like VS. probably series 1 and 2. VR is the same shape as the top one but plain grey

The pictures here are Both the same, series 1 VS. The series 2 doesn't have the carbon wrapped around the outside of the ashtray. The lighter was also positioned a few mm further left on the series 2.

Thread Information