PDA

View Full Version : Fitting HID's

SHADO
02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

Just bought a set of those plug and play HID's for my E1 GTS.

Looking at the handbook and the instructions it makes installation to be a breeze, but upon opening the bonnet and seeing the location of the low beam, and the way their fitted, dont think it will be such a breeze.

The drivers side low beam is directly in front of the fuse, with only cm's of space, which wouldnt be so bad if the bulb itself wasnt screwed into its seat - or rather the prongs that hold the bulb are screwed into the seat.

Has anyone fitted new bulbs to an E1 GTS before? Whats the easiest way to do it and can it be done with the fuse box there.

Cheers.

Strick
02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Ive seem some people take off the front bar to fit them. Seems like it makes it heaps easier

VZ2MALOOR8
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Yer make it is very easy to do.

I done my mates VE1 clubby and didn't have to remove anything from memory

Rrrrrrrr8
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Watching this with interest as Im thinking of doing the same, but if I have to take the front bar off..... forget it :)

SHADO
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Yer make it is very easy to do.

I done my mates VE1 clubby and didn't have to remove anything from memory

I just cant see how you would of gotten behind the headlight and in front of the fuse box there, and it looks like the prongs holding the bulb in have screws on each side, so especially cant see how u would get a screwdriver in there.

I too wont be taking the bar off, there has to be an easier way hehe

ClubbyJay
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
The prongs release by pushing the looped end toward the front of the car. It's an absolute bugger to get your hand down there, you WILL graze knuckles and swear a LOT, but it can be done. Once the prong is released the bulb is released.

SHADO
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Ok got the HID's in today, probly took me just over an hour, the passenger side was simple but the drivers side took a fair bit longer due to almost zero room.

Part that took me the longest was actually trying to get the drivers side dust cap back on, which is actually the ballast with these HID's, its got wires attached to it so need to kind of try and get all the wires under the cap while lining it up correctly and then tightening it.

Surpisingly the rest of it went quite smooth, its day time now so i'll be getting it out tonight to see how they go...

Strick
06-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Good to hear, im going to do mine when i get my car back. hopfully its a bit easier being a VZ. what kit did you get?

AOI
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Howdy,
What is the Benfit of the HID's? If i put them on the Superwagon what difference will they make?

Is it worth doing? How would it effect the warranty if i had The Dealership do the work?

Cheers

MR323
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi Mate, Take a look at this http://www.squidoo.com/hid-bulbs-halogen-bulbs

Just keep in mind they are illegal as your car does not have auto levelling headlights, but I've had them in my monaro since i bought it and never had any issues with the police or with warranty as it's only the headlights.

SV300
06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Fitted a kit to my car and heaps better visibility in terms of light brightness

Mines 6000k colour.

Here I found this:

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/colour-chart.php

Good output with white light colour. The higher the kelvin number the closer to blue purple with less light output.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VZ2MALOOR8
06-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Good to hear, im going to do mine when i get my car back. hopfully its a bit easier being a VZ. what kit did you get?

yer the vz is easy as to do in my opinion.
just need to move the battery a bit and the air box intake pipe. (if you still have it that is)

VZ2MALOOR8
06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
also i would say go hid as they are so much better then normal halogen and look so much better.
just don't do the high beams with HIDs

220isenator
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Why not the high beams?

VZ2MALOOR8
06-05-2012, 07:17 PM
HIDs take time to warm up and get to full brightness. so not good for flashing. lol

and they and not designed to be turned on and off constantly.

so id only go HIDs in the high beam if ya doing long country trips with not many other cars around

but at the end of the day this is my opinion and what you do is up to you :)

220isenator
06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Fair enough. Had them in the 4wd but then again they were mainly used out bush where I didn't have to turn them off constantly.

SV300
06-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Anywhere in Perth that is good anough to fit these properly i like the 8000k as they are slightly blue, the same as the bmw and sl55.
Would the dealer do this under without effecting warranty?

I would say no as technically illegal without auto leveling

Some car variants come with HID's optional but these are different headlights all together such as our pajero

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR323
06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
the dealer's will not fit them for you. However most places that sell them do offer fitting services, plus there pretty simple to fit so could give them a go yourself. Warranty will not be much of an issue, I've had my car repaired under warranty with no problems

mjd1810
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
HIDs take time to warm up and get to full brightness. so not good for flashing. lol

and they and not designed to be turned on and off constantly.

so id only go HIDs in the high beam if ya doing long country trips with not many other cars around

but at the end of the day this is my opinion and what you do is up to you :)

Hid's only take a while to warm up if they haven't been on for a fair while & have cooled down, if you dip your lights for an oncoming car for example, when you go back to hi-beam they will come back to full strength almost immediately.

SHADO
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
This is the kit i put in my car, someone mentioned them in a previous thread:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120730220193?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The main thing i like about them is that there is no external transformer/wiring, the dust cover is the transformer and just replaces the existing dust cover.

Drove around with them last night and their just amazing, seriously gives the car a completely different look, just waiting on my white led parkers to arrive cos i've still got the standard ones in now which looks quite bad hehe.

Someone mentioned earlier auto levelling headlights, does the E1 GTS have them? Because it seems i need to adjust my drivers side headlight a touch higher...

2010R8E3
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
This is the kit i put in my car, someone mentioned them in a previous thread:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120730220193?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The main thing i like about them is that there is no external transformer/wiring, the dust cover is the transformer and just replaces the existing dust cover.

Drove around with them last night and their just amazing, seriously gives the car a completely different look, just waiting on my white led parkers to arrive cos i've still got the standard ones in now which looks quite bad hehe.

Someone mentioned earlier auto levelling headlights, does the E1 GTS have them? Because it seems i need to adjust my drivers side headlight a touch higher...

The HID's look good based on the ebay ad. What are they like? Not too blue? What is the visability like? The same, worse, better?

They appear more expensive than others I've seen on ebay - that said the installation looks easy and professional.

SHADO
23-05-2012, 01:10 PM
The HID's look good based on the ebay ad. What are they like? Not too blue? What is the visability like? The same, worse, better?

They appear more expensive than others I've seen on ebay - that said the installation looks easy and professional.

Their pure white mate, no blue what so ever. Visibility is great, more than enough, being a white light the visibility is definitely better.

They may be more expensive than others but from what i;ve seen other require wiring, cutting, external transformers etc, i wasnt interested in any of that, just a straight plug and play unit.

Mind you its not exactly plug and play, installation especialy on the drives side was a killer, there's just no room to move, but can be done. Highly recommend these.

ash84
24-05-2012, 10:25 AM
recently bought a set and they arrived today :) wish me luck installing them!

scottcmb
24-05-2012, 10:43 AM
recently bought a set and they arrived today :) wish me luck installing them!

Let me know what they are like Ash :)

Cheers Scotty

roly
25-05-2012, 06:56 PM
fitting HID globes is illegal.

The also must have headlight washers if from the factory.

4300K are the closest to daylight and the best to the eye for visable / usable light

6000K and 8000K actually put out less usable light, it is purely a wank factor to get the white / blue look.

the cops are clamping down BIGTIME in Vic on people who fit HID globes to cars that shouldn't have them,

if you put 6000K and above on your car, not only are you making it worse, you will stand out to the cops as well as blind oncoming traffic.

SHADO
28-05-2012, 09:39 AM
fitting HID globes is illegal.

The also must have headlight washers if from the factory.

4300K are the closest to daylight and the best to the eye for visable / usable light

6000K and 8000K actually put out less usable light, it is purely a wank factor to get the white / blue look.

the cops are clamping down BIGTIME in Vic on people who fit HID globes to cars that shouldn't have them,

if you put 6000K and above on your car, not only are you making it worse, you will stand out to the cops as well as blind oncoming traffic.

Seriously...who cares

Not sure about you mate but since i've put the HID's on my car visibility a whole lot better, there's guys here putting massive cams, superchargers, and all sorts of other possibly illegal mods and your picking on light globes?

I think we'll be right ;)

eggy
05-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Just got the hid kit from ebay as mentioned above.
Good kit, but major PITA to install on the driver's side!! :(
Couldn't get all the wires/plugs back into the headlight recess and fit the cover, so will give it another shot over the weekend.
Have massive scratches all over my hands!

Also, my park lights are proving stubborn to remove - they should just pull out right?!? They aren't giving way at all, and I'm afraid I'll break something if I put too much force.
Anyone had this issue before?!?
Thanks!

eggy
06-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, managed to get the park lights out with me wriggling and pulling pretty damn hard and fingers crossed at the same time! Warped the palstic tabs a bit, but everything is still intact :)

On the hid kit, the 6000k bulbs are pretty darn white....and I must say maybe a bit of cop bait, so have ordered some 4300k bulbs too to see if they tone it down a notch.

DG0787
07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
OK just wondering if anyone has the same issue with me with the E1 clubby where it seems the low beam only put out light 20 meters in front of you, i need to have the foggies on at the same time to improve visibility. Those who have fitted these kits i do know they do improve the light output but do they increase the distance? If so i will definetly be getting it done and proably use those ones previously mentioned on ebay as I dont like the idea of transformers being placed willy nilly and also the need to be drilling holes in original dust covers.
Thanks

220isenator
07-07-2012, 08:49 PM
If you're not worried about legalities then yes, they will throw the light much further. Huge difference to the standard lights. Almost like comparing high beam visibility to low beam. Go for it, you're breaking the law driving around with fog lights on anyway. :)

DG0787
07-07-2012, 10:17 PM
If its to improve visibility then i dont give a shit really lol.. Ive actually rang HSV and they said they know about it and its one of their let downs in the quality (even the bloke i spoke to said his ve1 clubby lights were shit and he's done the same thing)
and i like being a plug and play item (the set off ebay) if i get defected i can just put the standard ones back in and clear it myself (thank god for being an RTA light vehicle pink slip examiner :-D

220isenator
07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
It has always been a huge problem with all HSV's. My VT Senator lights are shit as well. You'd think they would do something about a problem everyone notices.

eggy
07-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I actually think my E3 standard lights (projector) are pretty good, but I just like the output of HIDs better.
I really think I'll fit the 4300k bulbs though, cos the 6000k ones are quite "noticeable"!

DG0787
08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
i'll either be going with 4300k or 5000k once i hear back to what the warranty period and its T&C's are
and yes im with you eggy, 6000k is too noticeable where as the 4300 or 5000 are similar but the 4300 puts out 200 Lumens more light and are the normal colour temp where they come out in cars from factory

Simonk
18-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey guys

Just make sure you get a decent quality set of HIDs. Referals from other people are a good start. Cheap and nasty units will throw out less light than the standard Halogens as I discovered when I had to replace one of the ballast on my existing HIDs. I went for a cheap ballast replacement and it threw out half the light of the other light. It was also much bluer even though it was the same globe and both 6000k.

On legalities. Plenty of us run the gauntlet every day with exhausts, lowering etc. I drove past a cop car pointing his radar at me while I had my HIDs and LED fog lights on and he wasn't interested. I think if you get busted for your lights, then you've been pulled over by an a-hole who would have busted for you for something else if the lights weren't a problem.

Trance
13-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Just fitted a set of those eBay HID's where the ballast is built into the dust cap. They came with 6000k bulbs and it took me less than 20 minutes to install. It is squeezy but not impossible, just a bit of patience and care.

The improvement in the lighting is 100% better, and the 6000k is not too blue....doesn't look any worse than a new BMW or Audi. Having said that, my car (VE Senator) does have the projector lights so it does kind of look a bit more factory than HID's in the normal headlights.

Overall though, fast ebay service and product is top notch for the $'s you pay (140).

Alex

eggy
13-08-2012, 11:15 PM
20min?!? You must have dextrous fingers!!! Took me an hour with lots of cursing! :) Hardest part was stuffing the wiring and connectors back into the dust cover!
Yeah, the 6k bulbs aren't too bad, but I got some 4300k ones too, and they give out even more light...so much so that I've actually had to dip the headlights a bit, cos they were aimed a bit too high for oncoming traffic.

HeathC
14-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Is changing type/colour of parking lights acceptable?

I have a VY Senator which I think has the Projector Headlights.
Are the projector headlights suitable for HIDS as I have heard people saying the whole headlight module needs to be changed for HIDS to function correctly?

Does anyone have HID Highbeams?

HeathC
14-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh, does anyone know if the suggested kit here will fit a VY model headlight?
I am also interested in if anyone has changed their Fog lights in a VY / VZ to HID and have noticed a difference?

220isenator
14-08-2012, 10:39 PM
1. Park lights are just as illegal to change as any other light. Most people use LED's for brighter park lights.
2. Projectors are better than reflective for HID fitment as they give a clearer light beam. Only the bulbs and ballast need to be attached
3. HID highbeams are the way to go but once you turn them off and only have halogen low beams it will be like having no lights at all.
4.The kit shown here will not fit the VY model as the headlamp config is different. You will need to find one that has seperate ballasts as I don't think they make a fit in type for the VY.
5. Fogs lights should only be used in fog and in that case a brighter light would not necessarily be better as the light reflects back off the fog.
6. There is a huge difference in light output between halogen and HID. You can't even compare the two as HID produces a clear as daylight output. The only downside is they are classed as illegal.

220isenator
14-08-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore-VY-Calais-HSV-Low-Beams-HID-Xenon-Kit-projector-BEST-PRICE-/260945280857?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc18cff59
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore-VY-Calais-HSV-High-Beams-HID-Xenon-Kit-projector-BEST-PRICE-/260931900720?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc0c0d530
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore-VY-Calais-HSV-Fog-lights-HID-Xenon-Kit-projector-BEST-PRICE-/260938245993?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc121a769
http://www.point-blank.com.au/T10-LED-Parker-Bulbs--White_p_184.html

If you want quality and reliability then go a set of Philips globes...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H11-6000K-HID-Philips-PL-Kit-MALOO-MONARO-VY-VZ-HSV-/200444597687?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eab6dd5b7

VZ2MALOOR8
15-08-2012, 07:56 AM
That last one you posted about the Phillips pack

That is the same kit I bought. Same seller too.

I highly recommend it. Have had it over a year and still 100%

Trance
16-08-2012, 10:54 AM
20min?!? You must have dextrous fingers!!! Took me an hour with lots of cursing! :) Hardest part was stuffing the wiring and connectors back into the dust cover!

Not sure if its different with the non-projector head lights, but there is actually a cavity below the bulb assembly (with the dust cover removed) where the extra wiring, plugs and what-nots slot in quite nicely. This means the dust cover just slots back on without having to house all those bits in a very specific way within the dust cover itself.

On a side note (there is already a separate post about this) but does anyone know the globe size of the E1 Senator projector fog lights? I want to change them out.

Trance
16-08-2012, 10:56 AM
PARK LIGHTS: I just installed a set of these into the headlights to replace the original's...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140726108706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1173wt_952

Matches the HID's perfectly. Will try grab a pic tonite. Stay tuned for updates on Canaries...should be ok though, they don't look too loud.

Andrew_02
29-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Ref the HID globes, i read a post that stated the self leveling is not an extra add on feature, its a must have only put on because HIDs that is xenon globes must stay level or they may blow, the heat is many times hotter than standard globe and the way the gas and probes work, the info stated the globe may blow if it in on whilst parked on an angle up or down for too long. that is what self levelling is for!?
my self levelling system is on the blink and now ive looked i can see the globes seems to be covered in marks very odd. i note another post on this site mentions a loose wire into the rear self levelling unit and cleaning the globes with i think metho. cheers andrew

220isenator
29-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Not sure what you're asking Andrew but the self leveling feature is to stop the brightness of the lights blinding other drivers. It has nothing to do with the globes staying level so they don't blow.

I don't think any HSV ever came with HID's either.

Andrew_02
29-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Yer maybe the post on anther site was out of wack,or me reading it. it stated xenons over a certain power must have an auto levelling system yes one reason was for the brightness for on coming cars but another reason was something about the globe or ball of gas (xenon) needed to have the spark prongs level something about the heat on start up. to throw some more crap into my post i read some countries have laws that state due to the brightness of xenon the lights must be fitted with a washer system, as crap in the lights throws the light out in all directions.

anyway my only issue is mine are not working most of the time, just had a look and no bloody way i can get the back of the low bean panel off. why so many changes from the 11 to 12 model its the same car!! its full of different parts i guess more made in japan and china. even some of the dash is different.
still a bloody great car though

220isenator
29-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Fair enough mate. Having had HID high beams and 8 HID spotlights on the 4WD they don't need the self leveling to work. The head light washers are required in Europe and other countries mainly due to the snow. When the light reflects off the snow it sparkles into all directions potentially blinding oncoming drivers.

Get your self leveling checked by the dealer as they are temperamental ****ers and can be pricey to repair.

Andrew_02
30-08-2012, 07:37 PM
cheers booked in already. I did check a small sensor arm on the rear diff LHS one of three small arms this is what feeds the auto levelling system. i though it would have been a simple ballance gauge inside the light casing. the wires or arm can cause the auto leveller to fail.
I see my old grange with a new exhaust for sale at shacks holden for 78k.

Trav740
13-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Purchased the Plug n Play kit and installed it today...Wow! The difference in output and quality of light is amazing...highly recommend

Noodle
11-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I am interested in changing my VE E3 GTS low beam into one of these HID lights, but I have no experience in taking apart car parts. So anyone know where about in Sydney do they provide service replacing headlights if I bought one of the mentioned HID kit from that Melbourne eBay seller? Cheers.

Nitrate
11-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I am interested in changing my VE E3 GTS low beam into one of these HID lights, but I have no experience in taking apart car parts. So anyone know where about in Sydney do they provide service replacing headlights if I bought one of the mentioned HID kit from that Melbourne eBay seller? Cheers.

Noodle any auto electrician should be just fine....

Noodle
11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Noodle any auto electrician should be just fine....

Thanks Nitrate. Now I just have to find one around Sydney who I can trust to do the job properly...

Nitrate
11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry I can't recommend one Noodles, maybe someone else on the forum can recommend one in Sydney that they have used.

Cbegnell
12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks Nitrate. Now I just have to find one around Sydney who I can trust to do the job properly...

Try Jag Car Security, Fantastic work and great aftersales care. He does everything from alarms, navigation units and HID supply and installs.

Noodle
12-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Try Jag Car Security, Fantastic work and great aftersales care. He does everything from alarms, navigation units and HID supply and installs.

Thanks Cbegnell, I have sent them an email. I see they work in the same place as your Suttons Holden eastern suburb branch.

Cbegnell
12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks Cbegnell, I have sent them an email. I see they work in the same place as your Suttons Holden eastern suburb branch.

Interesting I wasn't aware they were based there. I know they do a lot of work for us, which is why I know the quality of their work, but I didn't realise that there main oporation was based out of a Sutton's site. As they are mobile as well.

Noodle
14-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Try Jag Car Security.

Called them this morning but was told they no longer provide the service of installing HID anymore :(

Noodle
14-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I contacted Sydney Hi-Tech Auto Electrical at Croydon. Anyone has any experience with them? Mentioned about bringing in that $149 HID kit from Melbourne eBay seller and they suggest not to purchase cheap Chinese-made kit. They recommend Osram (German-made) kit which sells for about $290 instead.

Nitrate
14-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Were you buying them from here noodles?

http://www.point-blank.com.au/H4-Single-Beam-35W-Philips-PL-Slimline-CANBUS-HID-Kit_p_254.html

I would have thought Philips would have been as good or comparable...

Noodle
14-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, no I was looking at this eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120730220193?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That Philips kit also looks good value too, but I don't know of any auto electrician in Sydney that I can trust to install for me :/

Nitrate
14-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Oh, no I was looking at this eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120730220193?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That Philips kit also looks good value too, but I don't know of any auto electrician in Sydney that I can trust to install for me :/

I guess you could call these guys and ask who or if they can recommend someone in Sydney. I think the guys name is Brad....

lmoengnr
14-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Haven't you a 'mechanically minded mate'? I have the same HID's, and they were dead easy to fit.

Nath
14-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Haven't you a 'mechanically minded mate'? I have the same HID's, and they were dead easy to fit.

+1 i have these and very easy to install if you a) have small hands b) have patience

They come with clear instructions, I had my wife actually install the drivers side due to space restrictions

(one of mine recently stopped working, contacted seller and he posted another one out before receiving my returned one, sharp customer service)

Its the same process as if you are changing a bulb, 20 minute job, you should give it a crack, otherwise any workshop would be able to do it, dont have to get a auto elec

Noodle
14-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Hmm you guys make it sounds so easy to install. I just never disassembled any car parts before, so I am unsure. Do you need any special tools for the task? Do you need to disconnect the car battery beforehand? I assume not as I browsed through the car manual, it never mention about disconnecting the car battery when changing the light bulb.

lmoengnr
14-10-2013, 10:02 PM
No tools required, apart from nimble fingers!

cdaveyb
15-10-2013, 07:30 AM
I also have these globes and they are great. Out with the old and in with the new, no tools needed and no need to disconnect the battery, just don't touch the glass bit!
I would love to say that it took me 20 minutes but it took me 2 hours as I do not have nimble little fingers but large hands and the drivers side needs little hands.

Nath
15-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Hmm you guys make it sounds so easy to install. I just never disassembled any car parts before, so I am unsure. Do you need any special tools for the task? Do you need to disconnect the car battery beforehand? I assume not as I browsed through the car manual, it never mention about disconnecting the car battery when changing the light bulb.

The only tools required are your fingers

If you can open a jar of jam whilst its horizontal and have the force to flick a couple of clips with your fingers you're over qualified :)

The most difficult part is putting the lid back on the jam, I mean headlight!

cdaveyb
15-10-2013, 02:19 PM
The only tools required are your fingers

If you can open a jar of jam whilst its horizontal and have the force to flick a couple of clips with your fingers you're over qualified :)

The most difficult part is putting the lid back on the jam, I mean headlight!

Very accurate analogy!

Noodle
15-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks, you guys are very encouraging.

I might try checking and disassembling the headlight unit later this week and see how I feel. If I feel confident, then I will go ahead and order the kit and try the installation myself. Cheers.

grange250
15-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Get a decent hit that will have ballasts etc, locally supported or it will be a complete replacement because they are sealed units and the wires are not common. Had a Chinese/Japanese kit and of course, even with the same part number, the ballast had been changed (lasted 3 years max) and would not connect in.

Noodle
15-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Hmm after further reading in Just Commodores forum on other people's experience, I am now having second thought about changing to HID :D Don't want to invite legal trouble with police and blinding other oncoming drivers. I just want a brighter driving light than the stock HSV light. Now thinking about may be just changing the low beam light bulbs into one of these Philips X-treme Vision +100 H7 bulbs. A pair can be bought from eBay for around $55. Any suggestion?

Strick
16-10-2013, 03:38 PM
I installed HIDS on my VZ and have no problems with the cops or people flashing me at all. its all about what type you choose. if you choose a HID that throws out too much blue you will get pulled over, however if its just white light, with the amount of cars that have HIDS standard these days its not worth it for them.

Mine are 6000 (cant remember the unit of measurement) and there is a little blue but only when looking form a certain angle, i believe 5000 or 6000 is the way to go

Noodle
17-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Sorry I have a noob's question here. Went to check out the engine bay just now, I noted the front part is covered with a long piece of black plastic cover, held down by several screws. I attemped to remove the screws with a philip head screwdriver but none of them come out. In fact I may have worn out of the screws :( Without this long black plastic cover removed there is no way I can even access the back of headlight unit. Any help?

cdaveyb
17-10-2013, 05:01 PM
They are not actually screws but are expanding plugs. When the screw is all the way in the plug is expanded. Undo the screw and then the plugs should come out as you lift up the radiator shroud.

Noodle
17-10-2013, 05:50 PM
I trie to undo the screw by using a philip heads screwdriver, turning in anticlockwise direction like normal screw, but they won't come out, worn out one of the screw head in the process :(

Noodle
17-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Just to clarify the black plastic cover I was talking about, held in place by 5 screws that I don't know how to loosen (red arrows).

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3723/10324338216_0dfaa5dc23_o.jpg

Strick
17-10-2013, 06:54 PM
you should only need to turn them half or a full turn then they will just pop out. they arnt a screw so much as a holding device that expands/contracts when turned

dgp
17-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Mate, they are called scrivets and you put a smallish flat blade screwdriver under the edge, you will see where as on two sides there is a raised bit. Just work them upwards and pull them out. When replacing them, pull the centre part out most of the way, locate them and push them in.
Once you have done one you will say, oh that is easy :)

Noodle
17-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I just tried plying a small flathead screwdriver between the plastic cover and the plastic washer, goddammit tried as hard without being too hard to lift the scrivets up, they only lifted like 2mm that's it. Won't budge any further. Causing scratches to the plastic cover. Sigh I must be the worse auto mechanic ever.

Strick
17-10-2013, 08:59 PM
turn the screw so its loosened i think they are usually half or 3/4 of a turn, which will allow you to get the screwdriver under the shroud to get it off

Noodle
17-10-2013, 09:03 PM
turn the screw so its loosened i think they are usually half or 3/4 of a turn, which will allow you to get the screwdriver under the shroud to get it off

I tried turning the scrivet with a philip head screwdriver and shoved a small flathead screwdriver under the plastic washer to lift the scrivet out, it only lifted like 2mm and won't budge any further.

eggy
17-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Slightly lift up scrivet as you're doing with flathead, then with other hand unscrew it with Phillips driver...it'll then bind and start to wind out.
The trick with them is not to push too hard downwards when unscrewing...otherwise they won't unwind.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cdaveyb
18-10-2013, 08:28 AM
If you google scrivet and look at the images it will become apparent how they work and then what you need to do to remove them.
Worst case scenario if you damage them you can always buy some more scrivet so from Holden....

FollowTheSapper
19-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I just brought 5 the other day $16.30. overpriced slightly.
I found if you can get your hand underneath, place a finger either side squeeze and then unscrew from above. Makes it a lot easier and does less damage.

Noodle
19-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Just a final note for people who is wondering what have I done with those freaking scrivets. Received my Philips X-treme Vision +100 H7 globes from a Melbourne eBay seller for $55 yesterday. Brought my car to a local auto electrician earlier this morning, he had to use the special screw/nail remover tool to remove those damn scrivets because all of them just won't come out with flathead and philip-head screwdrivers. Damn you HSV. You guys were right the tiny amount of space to work with on the driver side headlight unit, so damn small and the auto electrician was cutting his hand on the panels. Nice guy still remained calm and chatting to me. Charged me $30 for his work (and cuts on his hand, haha), I can't complain. Will see how much brighter these Philips globes are later this evening :)

cdaveyb
19-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Glad you got it resolved.......

Nitrate
19-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Just a final note for people who is wondering what have I done with those freaking scrivets. Received my Philips X-treme Vision +100 H7 globes from a Melbourne eBay seller for $55 yesterday. Brought my car to a local auto electrician earlier this morning, he had to use the special screw/nail remover tool to remove those damn scrivets because all of them just won't come out with flathead and philip-head screwdrivers. Damn you HSV. You guys were right the tiny amount of space to work with on the driver side headlight unit, so damn small and the auto electrician was cutting his hand on the panels. Nice guy still remained calm and chatting to me. Charged me $30 for his work (and cuts on his hand, haha), I can't complain. Will see how much brighter these Philips globes are later this evening :)

Well done Noodles, glad you got em in....

Nitrate
20-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey Noddles, how did the lights look last night?

Noodle
20-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey Noddles, how did the lights look last night?

Definitely brighter and projects further than my stock bulbs. On some roads where I was going over a crescent, I was afraid it may blind the oncoming traffic, but all is cool no one flashed me. There is a slight yellow tint to the colour, similar to the stock bulbs. Definitely not as bright and white/blue as HID on a few of the cars I saw on the road last night, but I am very happy now. I don't think I will want to attempt changing bulbs or installing HID in the near future after seeing the auto electrician struggling yesterday :D

Nitrate
20-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Definitely brighter and projects further than my stock bulbs. On some roads where I was going over a crescent, I was afraid it may blind the oncoming traffic, but all is cool no one flashed me. There is a slight yellow tint to the colour, similar to the stock bulbs. Definitely not as bright and white/blue as HID on a few of the cars I saw on the road last night, but I am very happy now. I don't think I will want to attempt changing bulbs or installing HID in the near future after seeing the auto electrician struggling yesterday :D

Great news noodle, being happy is the main thing :)