PDA

View Full Version : how to polish

Mrdavid
30-03-2012, 03:43 PM
i had another go at doing a polish and wax on the my car and didnt turn out good was all smeary in most spots. anyone know why this is i used a buffer for the roof boot and bonnet there the spots i get smears on. should i use the pre polish stuff then polish and wax? iv used towles polishing towles and before seem to do same thing i use mcgleaghers speeling is wrong paided 26.00 a bottel for wax and polish.

Strick
30-03-2012, 05:20 PM
hey mate,

check this out

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/

very good info there. in regards to a machine buffer. i used to have a cheap on from supercheap, after using it there were swirl marks everywhere. however i recently brought a das pro 6 from car care products and the car turned out fantastic.

the way i detailed it:

wash

clay-bar

wash

dry

medium polish

lime prime polish

wax

wax

She came up alright after that

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa318/Brady2806/SV6000%20Number%200024/P1020406.jpg

Senator01
30-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Try and use microfibre cloths at the end to get all residue off, then follow with Quick Detailer. This gets all left over residue off and gives a streak free finish. Works for me anyway ....

220isenator
30-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Looks like you missed a spot there Strick.

Sorry, just drool on my screen.:)

Mrdavid
30-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Might have to try clay bar, have a feeling might be somthing in the paint in certain spots I always have trouble eith the bonnet and roof the most with polish marks. Bumpers doors side skirts all come up new

Strick
30-03-2012, 07:19 PM
If you paint feels rough when you are washing it or like there is sand on the mit (oh dont use sponges use a lambs wool or microfibre mit), it has contaminates on the paint that the clay bar will remove.

navman75
30-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Did you use a cutting compound first before applying the wax? To get great results is a process. Clay bar and hand polish works well for cars with pristine paint, but for older cars is a lot more involved. Being a Spray Painter by trade I like to use a moderate cutting compound first, followed by a fine cutting compound, then I use a Glaze, finally hand waxing. Make sure all the residue is removed at every step. You say the problem could be in the paint? Being red it might be oxidizing, which is when the paint will fade and become chalky. If this is the case then repainting is your only option.

Mrdavid
30-03-2012, 10:26 PM
One Panel is oxidized but last time I polished it came up, one time I washed it and these white marks came up and when I waxed could see red stains on the rag and the marks where gone. I normal use a car wash with wax in it. Then a polish then wax. But case is werid rest of the pAint doesn't look oxidized Maybe might have to try clay bar what do they do iv never used one?

Strick
30-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I used a medium to light cutting/polishing from mint. Not at home and cant remember the exact specs. I then used Lime Prime polish.

Did you have a look at the how too mate, its all there. heres the clay bar one, theres even a video

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/06/29/how_to_clay_your_car

Strick
30-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks like you missed a spot there Strick.

Sorry, just drool on my screen.:)

Thanks mate, she comes up alright with a bit of a clean. Dont mind spending many hours cleaning it up, its worth it when its done

AOI
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Howdy,
Try Waterless Wash with microfibre clothes. It works fantastic for me on all my vehicles.

Goodluck

Mrdavid
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
cant say iv used that. the paint wasnt completly smooth the spots that came up good where smooth ones that didnt wernt so think might get a clay bar and hit it with that next time.