PDA

View Full Version : parcel tray speakers

moray066
28-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Whats a good speaker that will fit directly into the rear parcel tray of VE Clubsport, its an MY08, its had the WPP JBL stereo but the subs they fitted are destroyed! I now have a good sub in the boot, just fitted a new amp and want to run speakers in these spots. Also at night when Im driving with the stereo on the lights dim slightly every time the bass hits, is this an issue with the initial installation? I was thinking of running a new power wire directly from the battery as Im not sure where the current one is draining power from, but its playing with my lights and I dont like it, either this or I may need a more powerful alternator? has anyone else had these issues?

07GTS
29-03-2012, 12:29 AM
the ve has the altenator output regulated by the computor so changing prob wont help, i would say check where the power is from and make suer there is a good earth aswell same thickness as the power lead, power should be straight from the battery, if it isnt id say run power from the battery and see if it helps first also run a better earth if it needs aswell, make sure the power and earth are thick cables aswell, or u can get the big capacitors inline on the power that help on big stereos so under a big load when the bass kicks in if it needs more it will take it out of the capacitor and not affect the rest of the cars system, as for speakers in the shelf i think stewie has a list of what he put in his whale in another recent post...

zclubby
29-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Good points 07GTS I agree 100%. Stews weren't a bolt straight in unfortunately. If you have a sub, the easiest option would be a set of 6.5" 3 ways or similar, as you don't need bass from them

moray066
29-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, yes I think I will try the main power supply first, bought a thick power lead today and all the connections, I will run it straight from the battery to the amp see if it makes a difference, (thank god the battery is in the boot) if it still doesnt work, Ill do the same with the earth. The stereo was installed by WPP! So yeah, great job by them I guess! Im not sure where they dragged the power from, but it obviously is not working properly, I have been told by a car audio shop to put 6x9 in the rear parcel, they say they can fit them but will need to modify/cut the metal, not sure Im ready to let someone take to my car with a saw yet! lol I'll let you know how I go, will hopefully have it done in the next day or two, when get a spare min!

zclubby
29-03-2012, 10:21 PM
But the main reason for 6x9s is bass and high frequencies mixture. If you have a sub you won't hear the bass from these anyway so what's the point?

Stewiecasserole
29-03-2012, 11:07 PM
But the main reason for 6x9s is bass and high frequencies mixture. If you have a sub you won't hear the bass from these anyway so what's the point?
The point is that you can NEVER EVER EVER EVER have too much bass.

moray066
29-03-2012, 11:23 PM
The point is that you can NEVER EVER EVER EVER have too much bass.
hahahahah, true, and the 6x9 will give a punchy bass, where as the sub gives a deeper bass, therefore giving you a better mix of bass with the two combined! Right?

Stewiecasserole
30-03-2012, 12:01 AM
hahahahah, true, and the 6x9 will give a punchy bass, where as the sub gives a deeper bass, therefore giving you a better mix of bass with the two combined! Right?
HUH????? Speak up....can't hear you!!!!!!!

Yeah but the sub does tend to take over. Drop the gain down so it just adds a mellow thump you can appreciate the parcel shelf subs. Crank it and oblivion kicks in. One installer wanted to simply remove the parcel shelf subs in the Whale to let the bass in and 'coz what Zman was saying.....pointless. I opted to get as much bass happening as I could and have the option of dropping the centre of the rear seat if I feel like I need more.

07GTS
30-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys, yes I think I will try the main power supply first, bought a thick power lead today and all the connections, I will run it straight from the battery to the amp see if it makes a difference, (thank god the battery is in the boot) if it still doesnt work, Ill do the same with the earth. The stereo was installed by WPP! So yeah, great job by them I guess! Im not sure where they dragged the power from, but it obviously is not working properly, I have been told by a car audio shop to put 6x9 in the rear parcel, they say they can fit them but will need to modify/cut the metal, not sure Im ready to let someone take to my car with a saw yet! lol I'll let you know how I go, will hopefully have it done in the next day or two, when get a spare min! i would say if u do the power lead do the earth aswell its just as important as the power think of it as an engine and u put a massive blower on it u need to do exhaust aswell what goes in must come out :D and yes these are so much better having the battery in the boot, if u made up some bits of mdf u could probably get some 6.5" splits to fit in where the subs were and it'll save cutting the metal...

Stewiecasserole
30-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Maybe it is just my 6x9s but there was not wat we. Pyle have fitted them in without cutting the metal to from em down. If anyone has a pic of how they achieved this it would be nice to see.....just so I can see what could have been. :lol:
Not that I'm unhappy with having to cut the shelf up. Can't see it anyway.

zclubby
30-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Maybe it is just my 6x9s but there was not wat we. Pyle have fitted them in without cutting the metal to from em down. If anyone has a pic of how they achieved this it would be nice to see.....just so I can see what could have been. :lol:
Not that I'm unhappy with having to cut the shelf up. Can't see it anyway.

Pissed again?

moray066
30-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, my problem is I bought an amp to run the subs that were there, was going to leave it as is but when I connected it all I realised that one of the subs in the rear parcel tray is kaput and now making all sorts of aweful sounds so now I have an amp that is beautifully installed but nothing to run off it! Murphys law huh, dont want to remove it so later down the track will put some decent speakers in the parcel tray and hook them to the amp. And yes, I will do both positive and negative directly to the battery, hopefully this will sort the issue out, Ill get it dont this weekend and let you know the result, just for future reference. Thanks again

gunsrunner
15-04-2012, 02:57 PM
My 2 bob sorry guys!!!

I agree with the installer that said take the speakers out.

But it all comes down to personel preference.

Here is my reasoning, the more speakers you have in a car, all at different distance from your ears, means the sound from each speaker will arrive at a different time (ie muddy sound).

Less speakers with more power equalls same output but more equal arrival times. (ie cleaner sound)
Some of the best systems i have created, only used front splits, front midbass and subs. With a lot of power, double power equals 3db more output.

But if you just want it loud it is easier to just add more speakers. And this doesn't take time alignment into account.

The other reason i would suggest to remove the speakers is sound waves.
A subwoofer cone weighing say 500gms and 12 inches in diameter playing against a 6x9 producing the same frequencies or similar will cancell each other out at certain frequencies and boost each other at others, because the cones of the speakers will travel at different speeds.
This is why we don't mix subs of different sizes. It will give you less bass and a very bad RTA score and will also be very hard to tune properly.

I know these excuses are both for sound quality, but thats why i said it's personnel preference!!!
Big plus less cost in speakers, well not realy because you need to spend more so they will handle the power. And bigger better amps!

P.S. Don't cut your car, there is no need for that.:eek: