PDA

View Full Version : E3 Clubby - Speaker replacement

jimkera
26-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Later this week I'm replacing the stock front splits with Polk db6501 and rear coaxials with Polk db651. Hopefully that makes an improvement. :-)

HSV085
26-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Will certainly make a big difference bud ive done Rockford speakers in mine, are you fitting a bigger amp for the speakers aswell?

220isenator
26-03-2012, 06:13 PM
If I keep my car I'll be upgrading the speakers too. Anyone got any suggestions for a good brand that will fit in the standard VT spots? And a good amp and sub that won't take up too much room?

neil73
27-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Gotta agree the e3 system is pretty crappy,... I haven't done much research,.. But I take it that's it's due to the amp and speakers...

jimkera
27-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Will certainly make a big difference bud ive done Rockford speakers in mine, are you fitting a bigger amp for the speakers aswell?

Only fitting the speakers for now. I'll see how that goes and maybe add an amp if I'm still not happy.

jimkera
27-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Gotta agree the e3 system is pretty crappy,... I haven't done much research,.. But I take it that's it's due to the amp and speakers...

My research says that the E3 system is crappy primarily because the speakers are rubbish. Really cheap paper cone drivers. The front splits and rear door coaxials are run off the main IQ system deck. The rear parcel shelf subs are amplified by a separate amplifier.

LS3 050
27-03-2012, 10:20 AM
My research says that the E3 system is crappy primarily because the speakers are rubbish. Really cheap paper cone drivers. The front splits and rear door coaxials are run off the main IQ system deck. The rear parcel shelf subs are amplified by a separate amplifier.

And what you will find is the amp gain will be set to zero from factory, what you need to do is get to the amp, - in the boot near the battery, and adjust the amp gain to about 3/4. This will make a difference to the sound. Still not the same as a good quality system, but it helps.

HSV085
27-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Only fitting the speakers for now. I'll see how that goes and maybe add an amp if I'm still not happy.

Just doing speakers will see a noticable difference, but for best results get an aftermarket amp + sound deadning.

Stewiecasserole
27-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Speakers bang for buck and high quality sound go Morrel, Arc Audio or Polk. Small, affordable and wicked amp ya wouldn't be wasting your money on a Polk. Sound mat: better than Dyna mat at half the price go Solavis Supershield. In Melbourne. Google Solavis and check their specs compared to Dyna Mat. 9 sheets for $149 pick up. Dyna Mat around $300.

07GTS
27-03-2012, 07:18 PM
if u get speakers for a ve i would recommend an amp because the standard speakers are 2ohm and most aftermarkets are 4ohms so when putting a more powerful speaker in there its instantly down on power so an amp will help heaps...

PJDM1980
28-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Just checked on eBay and those Polk speakers go for about $120 and $170 delivered.

gunsrunner
28-03-2012, 09:23 AM
My suggestion would be to get an amp fitted first. You will want to get one after replacing the speakers so you may as well do it first.
There is not enough power to run any speakers properly, and to make things worse most aftermarket speakers have a lower sensitivity (ie:90db 1w/1meter) than the factory ones.
So buy the amp(4 channel) and have it fitted to the factory speakers, use the active x-over built into the amp to take the bass (80hz down) out of the door speakers, and get both amps level set properly.
This will make it as good as it can be for the least money.
Yes, sound deadening works well, but get that done if/when you change the speakers.

P.S. the gain on an amp is to set the amp input to the amount of signal it is receiving ie:500mv you can not just turn it up and expect good results, it needs to be level set properly.

cheers!!!:D

jimkera
29-03-2012, 03:03 PM
The Polk Audio db6501 and db651 speakers went in yesterday afternoon. No separate amplifier, just driving them off the standard IQ head-unit. The speakers that came out were all 2 Ohm 30 Watt and had quite cheap looking paper cone drivers. The Polks are 4 Ohm and have a sensitivity of 92dB.

So far I really like what I'm hearing, even with the stock head unit. Whereas before the sound would become harsh at even moderate volume levels (anything over 20 on the volume 'gauge'), the sound now is much better, clearer, smoother, and punchier in the mid-bass tones. I'm quite happy to drive them up around the 30+ mark on the volume 'gauge' and they sound great! They should get even better with a bit of running-in time.

The guys that installed them also sorted out a small rattle I previously had coming from the rear parcel shelf.

So far so good! :)

At this stage I won't be adding a separate amplifier to drive the new speakers, however if I did I reckon it'll take the sound to a different level again.

Stewiecasserole
29-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Good to hear you are getting pleasing results. The amp I got was this one.....
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pa/index.php#pad5000_5
smallish in stature but packs a mean punch. Around the $600 mark locally but I'm sure you could get one online for less. Can't get better quality than a D class amp....D=digital.

Evil bay will get you one for less than half price shipped from the states.....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-POLK-AUDIO-PAD50005-500W-5-CH-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-500-WATT-5-CHANNEL-/270940492539?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3f154fd2fb#ht_3141wt_1189

Addog01
29-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi there mate can you confirm that the 2013 E3 clubsport has the amp in the boot and you can chnage the gain on it please?

cdaveyb
29-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi there mate can you confirm that the 2013 E3 clubsport has the amp in the boot and you can chnage the gain on it please?

Yes, the amp is in the boot in front of the battery. The gain can be adjusted and sound much better when setting it at around 3/4. With the gain adjusted suddenly you can actually hear the factory subs in the parcel shelf. Once I found out about this I was much happier with the factory system.

Addog01
29-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi there mate can you please give me the exact specs of the polk amp you used?
Wattage and son on please im going to give one a crack after reading your threads.

Cheers.

Addog01
29-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Great thanks , mate ill give it a crack im gathering i have to take the boot carpet out?

cdaveyb
29-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Great thanks , mate ill give it a crack im gathering i have to take the boot carpet out?

I managed to get my hand underneath the bottom of the liner and just used my finder tips to be able to make the adjustment. Did not pull the carpet out.

Addog01
29-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Wow turned it up sounds much better, thanks for the tip. I might just change the front and rear speakers like you did and leave it at that. Thanks again!