PDA

View Full Version : tpms

blacknzr1
22-03-2012, 10:21 AM
hi all, once again im having problems with my tpms and i was wondering if someone could answer a few questions as my dealer seems to be cluless.

1st, a little history... i was having problems and the dealer replaced a sensor under warranty. and since iv done a few long trips and had no worries.

then the other day it came up system fault, like before. over night it went away. but anyway i went through a re-learn with all the sensors and iv been for a drive everything seems ok.

i have read on the internet that you cant mix the older metal valve stems with the newer rubber ones (a special valve stem used with the tpms) and i have noticed that the new one the dealer put on is rubber and the rest are metal. so im wondering if there is any truth to this... if so what happens and when, as in straight away or later??

do the sensors have batterys in them that go flat? as in after awhile will all of the sensors need replacing because of the batterys?

and lastly, if i get sick and tired of this system failing can i turn the tpms off, and if so is there a way to do it myself instead of going to a dealer? (using the key a similar way you get the car to re-learn the sensors)

im hoping someone can help, i expected my dealer to be able to answer these questions but they really have no idea.
thanks in advance, all help or ideas will be greatfully recieved.

REDHOTLS3
22-03-2012, 11:50 AM
This is the ones that come with HSV E2's and pontiac G8's.When you screw off the black cap it's a brass stem underneath, I think earlier statesman's may have come with a different stem.
I read somewhere they are expected to last 6 to 7 years battery life, that's that round bit .
They come apart with that phillips screw between the blue part and the stem and the tyres are removed from the back of the rim not the front ( that's what the sign on the back of the rim says anyway).

blacknzr1
22-03-2012, 12:11 PM
ok, im guessing thats the same as my new one,that they replaced.the outside is the same, but i havnt seen inside the tyre. (what i called rubber)
my other three are metal, like these... well once again from what iv seen on the outside.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-WM-HOLDEN-HSV-TYPRE-PRESSURE-MONITOR-SENSORS-TPMS-/320703845942?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aab705636

they have been working together. but now i have a system fault. or did, but expect it will come back as i didnt really do anything to fix it.

thanks for your information. if you or anyone else has any answers/clues to my previous questions id love to have some more input.

blacknzr1
22-03-2012, 12:15 PM
This is the ones that come with HSV E2's and pontiac G8's.When you screw off the black cap it's a brass stem underneath, I think earlier statesman's may have come with a different stem.
I read somewhere they are expected to last 6 to 7 years battery life, that's that round bit .
They come apart with that phillips screw between the blue part and the stem and the tyres are removed from the back of the rim not the front ( that's what the sign on the back of the rim says anyway).

so my batterys should be ok. so you can replace the batterys instead of the whole sensor?

REDHOTLS3
22-03-2012, 12:50 PM
The battery is encased in the plastic , you can't get it out. On the blue tmps's the screw just separates the stem from the blue body part just in case you have to replace the stem ,which you can buy separately sometimes , cause i bought 4 stems in case I damaged one.

I think you first have to make sure those 2 different type of sensors you have in your wheels are compatable,I didn't think they were, but I could be wrong.

As a footnote I didn't realise HSV E series Clubsports/ GTS in Aus. came with tpms , I know some VZ's did.

blacknzr1
22-03-2012, 04:35 PM
thanks for all your help!
so once the battery is flat you have to buy a sensor... damb there $350 each here from the dealer.

well i rang other dealers today, there all clueless and nobody was willing to contact the tecnical department which sucks! (after phoning holden they tell me the public cant contact the tech department and only service departments can).

the thing is that i dont get... if there not compatable, how come it works for alot of the time. then just fails out of the blue.
another thing i learnt is there is two part numbers for the sensors metal and rubber valve stem items. and new zealand only stock the rubber ones.

typical dealers they dont seem to know anything. i asked if the tpms can be turned off. they didnt even know that.
they tell me just the senators have the tpms. and my r8 because its a murph edition.
the problem has gone. but i expect it to come back, as this is how the car acted before. i thought when it does, i might take the sensor (metal) from the spear wheel and try that in place of the rubber one.

im really quite lost and feel my best bet is to solve the problem myself. i dont really want to turn the feature off as its part of the car.

zigaus001
14-08-2013, 10:55 PM

I have sourced 30 from the usa and got a bulk buy deal also stems. I am going put some up soon on eBay soon if I don't sell them all through the hsv club. not to sure if this is common knowledge or not. As all VE HSV'S built from April 2008 has the capabilities to have the TPMS activated through the factory BCM unit. this requires a Holden dealer to activate and reprogram both keys. all that is needed then is the correct frequency sensor and 20" tyre sensor with manual learning option code any your away. potentially saving one of those expensive tyres
Its not fiction its a fact and it works exactly the same system as used in the HSV 40th Anniversary GTS released Oct 2008

AR8317
14-08-2013, 11:42 PM
dose anyone know if the factory tpms out of a 2011 clubby will go in simmons rims as I've ordered
a set of fr20 simmons and they should be ready any day now and i really want to keep this feature.
p.s sorry for hijacking the thread

zigaus001
15-08-2013, 12:07 AM
short answer yes will fit but will not work correctly as orientation is the wrong way you will need a 90 degree valve stem to suit the sensor in your wheel the model number is on the bottom (25789964) CRITICAL don't mix them up make sure each sensor goes back on each corner it came off oF