PDA

View Full Version : Best LS3 Cold Air Intake?

Maloo41
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I have an E series Maloo and want to get a cold air intake for it. Ive seen alot of different brands and that and want
to know what other people have done with the LS3 engine and what they got out of it.

One main thing is the noise inside the car. Between 1000-4000rpm the car is quite grindy and rumbley and then
once it goes over 4000rpm it cracks and sounds real notey and good. Will a cold air intake help the engine noise be more meaty and less grindy inside the car?

Cheers

07GTS
05-03-2012, 10:21 PM
i have only had the ss inductions cold air intake and now i changed to the vcm over the radiator and the otr is way better, colder air and they sound good with the boot into it, even decent throttle at any rev range will have a good induction note in the car and a nice performance improvement over standard aswell... there are a few around so it just depends which style u want...

Maloo41
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
i have only had the ss inductions cold air intake and now i changed to the vcm over the radiator and the otr is way better, colder air and they sound good with the boot into it, even decent throttle at any rev range will have a good induction note in the car and a nice performance improvement over standard aswell... there are a few around so it just depends which style u want...

Oh so the otr was better. What power gain did you get from it? And what price are we looking at? It sounds good on low revs too? I'm very picky about my sound. Main thing is the sound at this point.

07GTS
06-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Oh so the otr was better. What power gain did you get from it? And what price are we looking at? It sounds good on low revs too? I'm very picky about my sound. Main thing is the sound at this point. yea have u done exhaust yet..? before i had my exhaust the main sound was the induction, can only describe it as the throuty sucking sound, and its good under load too like low revs in gear with decent throttle, and yes i would recommend the otr i got the vcm mafless one and the side shrouds for $680, im yet to see gains on the dyno should be going back for a tune next week maby so ill see what it does just installed then after a bit more tuning...

sdtash
06-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Plus 1 for the VCM OTR . Definatley improves induction noise. I reckin you must also have the vehicle tuned to realise any real performance gains.

HSV085
06-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I had the vcm otr on my ssv but now i use the APS cai, both are fairly well built units & both gave very similair power gains & induction noise.

Maloo41
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
yea have u done exhaust yet..? before i had my exhaust the main sound was the induction, can only describe it as the throuty sucking sound, and its good under load too like low revs in gear with decent throttle, and yes i would recommend the otr i got the vcm mafless one and the side shrouds for $680, im yet to see gains on the dyno should be going back for a tune next week maby so ill see what it does just installed then after a bit more tuning...

Yeah I have a stainless 2.5" system on it. So the main gains out of it should be power but also give it a bit more of a throaty sound. Sounds good

Plus 1 for the VCM OTR . Definatley improves induction noise. I reckin you must also have the vehicle tuned to realise any real performance gains.

I'm changing the exhaust to a 3" straight through with headers and cats so once that happens it will be getting tuned. Getting a cold air intake seems very common. Did your sound improve from the engine?

I had the vcm otr on my ssv but now i use the APS cai, both are fairly well built units & both gave very similair power gains & induction noise.

Whats the difference between the two?

damo90
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Ive also got a vcm otr, maf tune though. sounds great across the rev range but like sdtash stated, you wont get much kick without the tune. Ive only noticed a little more response. Its an awesome icon for the engine bay too!

HSV085
06-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Whats the difference between the two?

The vcm one is an otr whereas the APS unit is a pod filter style cai, good thing bout the APS one is that it looks factory but can still perform just as good an otr. The cai/pipework is bout 10cm in width & the K & N filter is bout 10cm in width & bout 20cm in length & sits where the stock airbox is in an enclose cover, at the end of the day it will come down to personal pref but like i said both are just as good as each other.

The APS intake:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/DCV1NU/The%20Clubby/IMAG0097.jpg

Maloo41
06-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Ive also got a vcm otr, maf tune though. sounds great across the rev range but like sdtash stated, you wont get much kick without the tune. Ive only noticed a little more response. Its an awesome icon for the engine bay too!

Thats what i'm after. Whats a tune worth? Depending on what you want i gather?

And HSV085-

Ahhh I understand. I have seen the difference in the two aswell. The otr looks better. A bit more costly perhaps? I have found one called the Growler which looks pretty good. Price is a bit hefty. Would that be the way to go?

d488y2
06-03-2012, 05:06 PM
+1 for the APS Air Box.

HSV085
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
And HSV085-

Ahhh I understand. I have seen the difference in the two aswell. The otr looks better. A bit more costly perhaps? I have found one called the Growler which looks pretty good. Price is a bit hefty. Would that be the way to go?

If you want an otr then i would steer well clear of the Growler as its not a "true otr", Both the APS & VCM units are within $100 of each other but if your after an otr then VCM has my vote.

macca33
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Thats what i'm after. Whats a tune worth? Depending on what you want i gather?

And HSV085-

Please stay away from SS Inductions Growlers and the like - I mean, who would call a product a Growler???????

You have two choices - they've already been spelled out for you:-

1. VCM OTR (or a DUS-Speed OTR also works well)

2. APS Pod Filter CAI.

They will both work as well as each other - it has been tested, so the only thing you'd be choosing would be the stealth look (Pod Filter CAI) vs the overt look (VCM OTR). Both can use the MAF (ie, stock tune) and both can also be MAF-less tuned, or tuned to retain the MAF - customer's choice.

A PCM tune will cost b/w $1000-1500 and some mobs do packages that include tune / CAI, so shop around and do some research - BEFORE parting with your coin.

Cheap is NOT good with these cars (you have to pay to play, otherwise leave it stock), so don't skimp, lest you'll be disappointed in the result...

cheers

TheRealShifter
06-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I have a VCM CAI (not otr). It was on the car when I cought it though so I can't compare before and after. Car has a nice subtle burble to it though that growls a bit when you open up the throttle. But from what I understand most of your rumble grumble will come from your cam and exhaust, not your intake.

Maloo41
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
If you want an otr then i would steer well clear of the Growler as its not a "true otr", Both the APS & VCM units are within $100 of each other but if your after an otr then VCM has my vote.

Ahh exactly what I was after. I'd rather here it from people who have tried it out then make the mistake straight away.

Please stay away from SS Inductions Growlers and the like - I mean, who would call a product a Growler???????

You have two choices - they've already been spelled out for you:-

1. VCM OTR (or a DUS-Speed OTR also works well)

2. APS Pod Filter CAI.

They will both work as well as each other - it has been tested, so the only thing you'd be choosing would be the stealth look (Pod Filter CAI) vs the overt look (VCM OTR). Both can use the MAF (ie, stock tune) and both can also be MAF-less tuned, or tuned to retain the MAF - customer's choice.

A PCM tune will cost b/w $1000-1500 and some mobs do packages that include tune / CAI, so shop around and do some research - BEFORE parting with your coin.

Cheap is NOT good with these cars (you have to pay to play, otherwise leave it stock), so don't skimp, lest you'll be disappointed in the result...

cheers

Cheers mate. Your info is perfect. I'm thinking i'll head with the VCM OTR and get it tuned. What gains are we talking for kw?

I have a VCM CAI (not otr). It was on the car when I cought it though so I can't compare before and after. Car has a nice subtle burble to it though that growls a bit when you open up the throttle. But from what I understand most of your rumble grumble will come from your cam and exhaust, not your intake.

Your happy with it? cam will be the next thing after the CAI and possible upgrade of exhaust. Do it all in one I think.

gts 105
06-03-2012, 10:04 PM
If you want the most factory looking CAI On the market have a look at the Harrop stealth CAI

Maloo41
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
If you want the most factory looking CAI On the market have a look at the Harrop stealth CAI

Yeah not too fussed on how stock it looks. Happy for it to look at little after market. That one does look nice and tidy but.
Cheers

sdtash
06-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I reckin the VCM OTR contributed approx 10 to 15 kw on my E3 maloo. Sorry I cant give you a definative kw number as I had a full exhaust and tune done at the same time.

HEO2HOG
07-03-2012, 12:36 AM
i had the vcm otr installed on my blower which originally had a pod filter and i got an extra 30rwhp but also found the throttle to be more responsive. as to the sound sorry all i get is the blissful noise of a supercharger lol

Maloo41
07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I reckin the VCM OTR contributed approx 10 to 15 kw on my E3 maloo. Sorry I cant give you a definative kw number as I had a full exhaust and tune done at the same time.

That's not bad. I'd be happy with that. Maybe an obvious question but what does VCM stand for?

i had the vcm otr installed on my blower which originally had a pod filter and i got an extra 30rwhp but also found the throttle to be more responsive. as to the sound sorry all i get is the blissful noise of a supercharger lol

Thats what i'm looking for. Would love that nice sound of a blower aswell. ha

Stezzy27
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
VCM is a brand

Rx08re
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
+1 for vcm Otr. Love it!

TheRealShifter
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Your happy with it? cam will be the next thing after the CAI and possible upgrade of exhaust. Do it all in one I think.
Meh I've got nothing to compare it to. It sounds like a V8 and goes well so I'm not complaining. One day I'll get around to doing an exhaust and cam and tune as well. I'd say do them at the same time; only 1 tune for all components. A CAI isn't really going to deliver much, especially on an HSV where they come stock with reasonable CAI's anyway. Even if you get a CAI and a tune most of your power gains will come from the tune, not the CAI: it just helps the engine breathe a little better.

Maloo41
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Meh I've got nothing to compare it to. It sounds like a V8 and goes well so I'm not complaining. One day I'll get around to doing an exhaust and cam and tune as well. I'd say do them at the same time; only 1 tune for all components. A CAI isn't really going to deliver much, especially on an HSV where they come stock with reasonable CAI's anyway. Even if you get a CAI and a tune most of your power gains will come from the tune, not the CAI: it just helps the engine breathe a little better.

Thanks heaps for that mate. Definitely has helped alot. I think I will go ahead and get the OTR and look at the VCM brand haha. Cheers all for your input.

VTi_b0i
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm also keen to get a vcm otr for my e3 Maloo, my question: is it ok to get the intake, put it on without tuning? I've heard it'll run like a dog.
I'm thinking of leaving the maf for warranty purposes for the sake of a few kw

HSV085
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm also keen to get a vcm otr for my e3 Maloo, my question: is it ok to get the intake, put it on without tuning? I've heard it'll run like a dog.
I'm thinking of leaving the maf for warranty purposes for the sake of a few kw

Putting on the intake before tuning will be fine & wont make the car "run like a dog", You will be suprised how little difference there is with maf or maffless in the ve's(in bolton form).

sdtash
08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I retained the Maf on my LS3, mainly due to warrenty/legal issue's.

jkhsv
08-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I have the VCM OTR...I would suggest that or a DUS OTR or Orrsomm OTR..

DuSpeed OTR
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o274/gcovo/SSV%20Ute/newDUS3.jpg

Orssom OTR - Carbon Fibre Version
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/orssom/Gen4CarbonFibre2.jpg

http://http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/orssom/Gen4CarbonFibre.jpg

VTi_b0i
08-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Putting on the intake before tuning will be fine & wont make the car "run like a dog", You will be suprised how little difference there is with maf or maffless in the ve's(in bolton form).
Thanks for that mate. Do you notice any performance increase or sound?

Sdtash, have u had yours tuned? Any power figures and other mods?

07GTS
08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
this is my vcm intake i also made up a bit that fits in the front of the intake and funnels all the air from the two top ****s into the intake...
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/07GTS/vcmintake.jpg

LS3 050
08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that mate. Do you notice any performance increase or sound?

Sdtash, have u had yours tuned? Any power figures and other mods?

You wont "notice" any performance gains with OTR alone, tune will help, but you will notice a deeper more throaty rumble from the air intake

Andrew_02
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l639/andrew6306/Image0594.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l639/andrew6306/P7200097.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l639/andrew6306/P7200098.jpg
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l639/andrew6306/P7200096.jpg

I gained about 25kws sounds great the tune was on the conservative side for a new Grange
done by autotechnics melbourne.

reason for the first photo, to show the air temp diff prior to the OTR CAI that alone will give
a few extra HP, without all the hot plastic. you do need to clean the filter more often.:mrgreen:

sdtash
08-03-2012, 11:54 PM
+1 for OTR and tune.. Yes mine has been tuned with Maf still in place . Great results.

Maloo41
09-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Cheers everyone for all your comments and pics. More than enough info. I took a liking to the look of that carbon fibre one. I will do a little more research before I go ahead with it.
Thanks

Helicopter7
09-03-2012, 03:11 PM
If I could prolong this discussion by asking this question:

What is the purpose of that ugly convoluted plastic thing on the intake to the throttle body
with those strange chambers that looks like it was bitten by a foot long mosquito?

Is it to prevent backfiring reaching and damaging the MAF sensor?

I noticed a similar looking intake on my wife's V6 and was gobsmacked.

It takes up so much room in the front part of the engine bay, why can't it be removed and replaced by a nicer looking
single tube between the throttle body and MAF?
The E3 GTS engine bay looks quite nice, and would be even better if this ugly thing was replaced.

Also there is what looks like an air temp sensor located on it just front of the throttle body, which could be easily relocated.

Cheers