PDA

View Full Version : VE 20" Tyre Advice

HSV700
23-02-2012, 02:10 AM
I am after some advice from fellow forum members on tyres to suit my car with 20" factory wheel that will work better on the track than the std Bridgestons.

So I am running the std Bridgestone 245/35/20 on the front and 275/30 R20 on the rear and they are like running around on ice.

Many thanks

James88
23-02-2012, 11:51 AM
I always thought that the Bridgestones were an excellent tyre for the VE's, how old are the tyres, have they gone a bit hard , do you have them around 40psi to reduce roll.
I had the Falken FK452 and hated them and recently changed to the Kumho KU19 Asymetric tyres and they seem to grip and steer pretty well

Also check that MRC shocks are working or damaged, this can have profound affect on handling.
I also recently changed to the adjustable Bilstein Struts with H & R coilovers and the car handles much better.

Cheers
James

HSV700
23-02-2012, 12:03 PM
James they are the second set of tyres and done about 2,000kms and the tyre pressure was 43 psi hot.

There is nothing wrong with the suspsension and the first set of tyres was much the same, they are ok around town but when pushed hard have nothing.

Its got nothing to do with the set up of the car or the car it self, I was just after feed back on something better grip wise than what the Bridgestone or simlar street brands and if anyone had got track tyres in thes sizes and how they went.

go sick
23-02-2012, 12:54 PM
ok i do a bit of work for phillip island drive events we set the tyres to 45 cold if they are still geting to hot then we would put 50 in them hope this helps mate im runing the yokohamas s drive i got them from the usa man are these's good worth a look at tirerack.com got them half price tho these guys

surfwagon
23-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I had the Falken FK452 and hated them and recently changed to the Kumho KU19 Asymetric tyres and they seem to grip and steer pretty well
Cheers
James.
Can I ask what you didn't like about the Falkens.
I changed from KU19's to Falkens purely because the KU19's in 245/35x19 are a small tyre and the Falken in the same tyre are at least 10mm wider in the tread and carcase and cover the edge of 19 x 8 1/2" rim better.
Performance wise I can't really fault the Falkens and I've had plenty of driving in the wet lately and they have held the road really well.

James88
23-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Can I ask what you didn't like about the Falkens.
I changed from KU19's to Falkens purely because the KU19's in 245/35x19 are a small tyre and the Falken in the same tyre are at least 10mm wider in the tread and carcase and cover the edge of 19 x 8 1/2" rim better.
Performance wise I can't really fault the Falkens and I've had plenty of driving in the wet lately and they have held the road really well.

They had a mind of their own, they would follow the irregularities of the road, dart off to left and right almost had an accident
when they took over at 100kmh under braking , FK452 are directional tyres and the KU19 are asymmetric tyres which the HSV VE's are better suited to, they are more comfortable don't dart off in different directions and cover my
20" Pentagon rims nicely

surfwagon
23-02-2012, 11:08 PM
OK thanks for the answer

220isenator
27-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Take a look at the Pirelli PZero Corsa if you're serious about track work. Not cheap though and won't last long.

gunsrunner
28-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Low profile tyres are not good for racing, you need some flex in the side wall to get better grip.:!:
perhaps you should look at a rim and tyre package for the track.
http://www.tracksidetyres.com.au/potenza_re55s.html
Notice 18" is the biggest they go!

HSV700
28-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Low profile tyres are not good for racing, you need some flex in the side wall to get better grip.:!:
perhaps you should look at a rim and tyre package for the track.
http://www.tracksidetyres.com.au/potenza_re55s.html
Notice 18" is the biggest they go!

Thanks for the advice but we are stuck with 20" or bigger as the brakes on the W427 are 6 spot and the nothing smaller is going on it.