PDA

View Full Version : Lost Key

SHADO
13-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey all, this isnt HSV related so thought i would ask the question here.

I've lost the only key to my run around lancer, i think its a 99 model or there abouts. No clue where the keys have gone, had them with me the other morning then got home and couldnt find them for the life of me.

Does anyone know what the best/cheapest option to getting a new key made is? I called a locksmith and they said they could come out and get a new key made for around $300, seems a bit steep to me.

Its an older car without central locking or fancy alarms or anything, just a key to open the door and start the car, any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

IEVLV8
13-02-2012, 05:10 PM
call a mitsy dealership and ask them if they can get you the code to get one cut, they should be able to from the VIN of the car

akanives
13-02-2012, 05:54 PM
do you know hot to hotwire a car, and use a coathanger to undo door? i hear thats the cheapest way :p

blown vy gts
13-02-2012, 10:30 PM
do you know hot to hotwire a car, and use a coathanger to undo door? i hear thats the cheapest way :p

Nah yr behind the times coat hangers can get expensive rocks are free lol

SHADO
14-02-2012, 08:45 AM
call a mitsy dealership and ask them if they can get you the code to get one cut, they should be able to from the VIN of the car

Called them and they said i need to purchase a key for $80, get it coded for $50, then take it to their locksmith to cut the key for $35. And im pretty sure they want the car there to do it all, so i'll have to get it towed there.
Looks like the only option at the moment...

Audi
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Count yourself luck, my mate has a merc and they want $500 for a key and $80 to code it.