PDA

View Full Version : Road tar

neil73
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Not happy. In Perth the freeway is currently under expansion. Washed my car today, only to find on the under panel behin all 4 wheels, road tar is streaks running about a foot long.

Rubbed a few off with the micro fibre, but didn't feel good. Any advice..

Not happy at all,.. It's every where..

Also noticed more small chips on the front of the car, again, must be from the road works,.. Aaaaargh.

Strick
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Try a clay bar, works real well

hsv.286
13-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Use kero and wash the car arfter you have finished.don't use Turps as it could attack the clearcoat.we still use high flashpoint kero in our spray seal division for their cutback bitumen.even baby oil works but takes a bit more to break it down..:)

neil73
13-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Cheers.... What just kero on a rag, and keep rubbing till it comes off?

hsv.286
13-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Cheers.... What just kero on a rag, and keep rubbing till it comes off? yeah that will do it..as I stated,don't use a white spirit as it will attack the clear.. And wear gloves as it's not good for your hands as kero and deisel is esaly absorbed into the skin and have seen some unpleasant outcomes with extended use that's why all our asphalt crews now have to wear gloves/p.p.e when handling cutters etc..hope that helps..

neil73
13-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Really appreciate it, thanks..

zclubby
13-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Go to super cheap or big W and get yourself a can of "bug and tar off" (something like that. Made by 5 star) you spray it on, it foams up, wait a few minutes and wipe it off. The tar comes off with it. It's gold and only about 3 or 4 bucks a can

Rrrrrrrr8
13-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I had the same, well still have the same problem with continual roadworks near us, so I looked up on the net and found that WD40 is highly recommended, so I tried it and it works great. Just spray it on and wipe it off and it doesnt affect the paint either.

neil73
13-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Talking to guy at work and he said the same thing about wd40, apparently it has 2000 uses...

Havent seen it in the shops in ages though,.. They got it in bunnings?

waxcactus
14-02-2012, 03:03 PM
yes the last bloke to detail my car used wd40 works a treat

dgp
14-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't the WD40 leave an oily residue on the paint?
How does it affect your wax layer?

hsv.286
14-02-2012, 04:56 PM
As my previous post kero will be the best cutter for bitumen but c.r.c or WD40 in a can will work well also.. same applies with wearing gloves as all strips the moisture out of your hands..and it will strip the wax also so wash the car again and reapply any areas with ya polish then wax.cheers..:)

Senator01
14-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Get some Prepsol or Prepwash .... soft cloth in a ball and rub gently. Gets it off no probs... no oily residue. Follow with a bit of Paint Cleaner, Polish and or Wax and there you have it ... good as new. Good coat of wax will also limit the problem down the track.

Mzsammi
14-02-2012, 08:29 PM
haha was just about to say that. haha prepsol is great for that kind of stuff!! do not leave it on for too long and make sure you clean your car after it. it can do damage if used incorectly

neil73
16-03-2012, 11:30 PM
So finally got time to clean the car today, and tried the wd40 in the area, and the tar came off, but the road grime is still there..

Is it possible to maintain all painted areas in mint condition,.. The areas I'm having problems with is the small action of panel directly behind the front wheel in the wheel arch area, and the under panel directly behind the font wheel, same with the rear wheels.

You can't see it when ur standing or washing the car, but when u lie down and get close to the wheel arches stands out like dogs b@lls..

Might have to try prepsol, where u get it?

blacknzr1
22-03-2012, 05:43 PM
i use wd40/crc too. i just wash the area with the soapy water i was washing the car with afterwards just in case.

1SIKR8
22-03-2012, 06:15 PM
aparently a little urban myth getting around our little town is that flat XXXX gold gets it off a tread ! im yet to try it ... im also yet to get tar on my clubby

220isenator
22-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Be about the only thing that XXXX is good for. :p

Try some Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover available from carcareproducts.com.au

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/autoglym?page=4

1SIKR8
22-03-2012, 07:31 PM
hey thats why it was flat, sure as hell i know i wouldnt have drank it even if it wasnt flat haha

Bludog
27-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Try Eucalyptus Oil. Cheap & easy and won't harm the paint

ESERI3S
01-08-2012, 01:12 AM
A spot clay barring will get it off just use lots of spray detailer for lube and use light pressure and it'll do the job. Just can't stress enough about the lube. Then a spray wax of the panel after and your sweet!

ESERI3S
01-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Not happy. In Perth the freeway is currently under expansion. Washed my car today, only to find on the under panel behin all 4 wheels, road tar is streaks running about a foot long.

Rubbed a few off with the micro fibre, but didn't feel good. Any advice..

Not happy at all,.. It's every where..

Also noticed more small chips on the front of the car, again, must be from the road works,.. Aaaaargh.

Aaaaggghhh I feel ya bro, road works in perth shits me to tears!!!! I got caught out by the roadworks on roe hwy few months back, fkn must've been 50mm of blue metal on the road, and you can see it on the car now!
But seriously a proper clay barring is the best way to get rid of the damage or at least minimize it!

HSVGTS125
01-08-2012, 10:27 PM
I used WD40 on my white VR GTS after taking it on a holiday through outback Qld. There were road works everywhere and put tar all over the flawless paint. It came off beautifully but then needed to wash it several times to remove the marks from WD40.

I used WD40 on my walkinshaw too, tar lifted off fibreglass much easier than plastic

hsv.286
02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
The bitumen that sticks to your car during road works is from spray sealing not hot mix asphalt,where a layer of normally c170 class bitumen is sprayed and then topped with aggregate! It remains sticky because it has a cutter additive so the agg can penetrate into it before final rolling so to bind with suface.if you have a brownish specks it's usually a crs35 tackcoat wich is sprayed on before a hotmix is layed because asphalt wont stick asphalt without it..! road tar is a generic term but it's bitumen refined from crude oil as tar comes from refined brown coal.. Our crews use a canola base oil to remove bitumen off their pavers as kero and diesel carnt be used anymore due to e.p.a requirements but works better so a little on a cloth will get the specks off just wash ya ride arfter and a touch up with polish will get ya going again..cheers..:smile:

Stewiecasserole
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
My friend told me to try this....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4494123_remove-road-tar-from-car.html

But this seems good too....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/45470-how-remove-tar-paint.html

white_lie
02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Some good info there 286.
I always spray my rear quarters and guards with CRC before racing and the rubber splatter just rinses off