PDA

View Full Version : E1 Series Common Problems

metester
01-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi. After reading a few threads about the differences between E1, E2 and E3's etc. I found it was difficult to get a good list of known, common faults with the E1 series Clubby R8. I recently purchased one and am very happy with it however, I would love to see a good list of things that perhaps I could correct etc. In hindsight, I wish I knew about this forum and would have asked this question first!!

MR323
01-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi mate, i'm in the process of doing a list of common problems and fixes for E1, E2 and E3 HSV's. Should have it all done in the next week or so and will post it up, it's a big list of things :mad: but all easily fixed

Cheers
Ali

Omarko
01-01-2012, 05:25 PM
MR323, looking forward to see ur list!!!!

My list so far (E1 Senator):

Indicator lights blinking fast (fixed under warranty)
Front bumper sagging (can also be fixed under warranty)

MR323
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
i've now got all the Holden HSV Factory repair manuals from VT to E3, so i'm just typing all the issues in a document and then i'll post it up, I'm almost done with the VT to VZ issues and have posted most of it on the VT to VZ section

metester
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Good one MR323. Look forward to it.

gunsrunner
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
A sticky for faults, great idea!!!
1) Strut bearing collapse. VE's put extra load on the strut bearings.
2) Rear light assembly. L.E.D. Rear lights warp in the heat causeing LED's to stop working.
3) Knock in front suspention. The spring lifts off the strut bracket over small bumps. Rubber is fitted in between.
4) Radio Facia. The S1 has bad solder joints on the circut board causes cutting out. colour changes and battery drain.
5) Sagging front bumper. Brackets are not strong enought to support HSV front bar. Replace with stronger brackets.
6) Indicators Rapid Blinking. Indictor module next to tail light needs to be replaced.
7) MRC Leaking. The seals in the MRC shocks can pop, leaking hydrolic fluid. Very costly replacement.
I know the last one is GTS only, but thought it could be included.

Times up for now, will continue later.:eek:

metester
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks gunsrunner. I am now wondering whether no's 1 or 4 have something to do with the problem I posted here http://http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?9243-Small-knock-in-steering-wheel-when-turning?

Omarko
08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
3) Knock in front suspention. The spring lifts off the strut bracket over small bumps. Rubber is fitted in between.
4) Radio Facia. The S1 has bad solder joints on the circut board causes cutting out. colour changes and battery drain.

thanks for posting these !

now, I have issues with the above two ... do you have a service manual that says how to fix them in more detail ? Saying rubber fixed in between is a good start but what rubber, what part and where exactly? I want to take it to my mechanic so he knows what he is doing.

many thanks in advance!

dgp
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
i've now got all the Holden HSV Factory repair manuals from VT to E3, so i'm just typing all the issues in a document and then i'll post it up, I'm almost done with the VT to VZ issues and have posted most of it on the VT to VZ section

MR323, is the VZ information on a disk produced by infomedia titled Holden service and maintenance information DVD?
I have seen this in a thread on another forum and want to buy it if it covers the MY06 VZ series of HSV's.

Teazer
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
A few more for the Series 1 not mentioned thus far and experienced first hand;

- windshield washer bottle splits almost along its entire length and replaced under warranty
- locking door actuators get lazy requiring pressing the remote key twice rather than once to both open and lock the door(s)

gunsrunner
11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
thanks for posting these !

now, I have issues with the above two ... do you have a service manual that says how to fix them in more detail ? Saying rubber fixed in between is a good start but what rubber, what part and where exactly? I want to take it to my mechanic so he knows what he is doing.

many thanks in advance!

Negative on any service manuals.
I was lucky enough to get it fixed under warranty.
They put a 3-5mm gasket like piece of rubber between the spring and the strut bracket to stop them hitting together. Don't know how long that will last:rolleyes:
They replaced the strut top bearings at the same time.
The radio facia needs to come out and have the circut baord gone over by an electricnics tech to resolder the bad joints.

This would all be so much easier if Holden, HSV just release the techline list of issues to the public, instead of covering them up to save on warranty work. W@nk&^s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Another one,
8) A/C bracket only has one idler pully. Belts are known to wiplash and come off, fix is to replace A/C bracket with one that has 2 idler pullys
9) Harmonic ballancer. Is known to breake the rubber coupleling needing replacement.

1) Strut bearing collapse. VE's put extra load on the strut bearings.
2) Rear light assembly. L.E.D. Rear lights warp in the heat causeing LED's to stop working.
5) Sagging front bumper. Brackets are not strong enought to support HSV front bar. Replace with stronger brackets.
6) Indicators Rapid Blinking. Indictor module next to tail light needs to be replaced.
7) MRC Leaking. The seals in the MRC shocks can pop, leaking hydrolic fluid. Very costly replacement.
8) A/C bracket only has one idler pully. Belts are known to wiplash and come off, fix is to replace A/C bracket with one that has 2 idler pullys
9) Harmonic ballancer. Is known to breake the rubber coupleling needing replacement.

senatorsig02
12-01-2012, 03:36 PM
MR323, looking forward to see ur list!!!!

My list so far (E1 Senator):

Indicator lights blinking fast (fixed under warranty)
Front bumper sagging (can also be fixed under warranty)

Gday, I too have the same issure with my 08 senator.... fast blinking right indicator... my car does it and then is Ok for a day or two then starts again. Do you know what the fix was. cheers

Omarko
14-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Gday, I too have the same issure with my 08 senator.... fast blinking right indicator... my car does it and then is Ok for a day or two then starts again. Do you know what the fix was. cheers

hi there. Three things can be wrong.

1. The Light itself is faulty a LEDs might have bad soldering causing issues
2. A patch harness exists that is installed between the LED flasher and the light - this apparently corrects the problem on 99% of cars
3. The LED flasher little black box is faulty and needs replacing.

Contact HSV head office and ask for Andrew Purcell and tell him about it. He sent me the parts and it was simple plug and play job to fix it :)

Fabric350
30-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi Gunsrunner,

I have the sagging front bumper issue.. are the stronger brackets HSV issue or did you have them made?

Cheers,

Fabric.

DmMaloo
31-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Great thread. My pod lights above my stereo flash on and off, 1 works then they all do, then two work. That's on an E1 series maloo. Could that be the bad solder joints. It's distracting driving at night, it's like having my own personal disco going on in the drivers seat

hsvgts08
31-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Very interested in the fix for the head unit #4, I have the Hi-Tv navigator installed & it's forever changing colors & blanking out all together, very annoying, pricks at Holden have my car flagged as no further warranty due to the supercharger!!! WTF!

Don't forget the shit std clutch pedal that sticks to the floor in the manuals!!

These were warranty upgrades, that I got no questions asked ( until I got flagged)
1) harmonic balancer upgrade - factory one had a wobble in it from new
2) also replaces the sprung tensioner for a revised one - something about harmonics & excessive noise!
3) revised air con bracket/tensioner ect - something to do with noise & belts throwing off ( common occurrence at power play)
4) clutch revision - they fit an LS7 clutch & pressure plate - still shit, clutch still sticks to the floor - pressure plate actually goes to far in & goes over centre, usually pedal comes up when revs go down after spirited shift , but sometimes needs to be pulled back off the floor with your toe.

Jman
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting regarding the head unit screen changing colours. I had my screen replaced twice under warranty in my series 1 Clubsport due to the screen changing colours, pink, yellow, blue. My daughter thought it was cool. After the 3rd screen still did it I gave up and just put up with it. I found giving it a quick tap with the back of your hand worked wonders!!! So far no issues with the E3 as yet.

The fast flashing indicator problem used to only happen on a very cold morning here in the ACT. Took a while but HSV advised dealership of some module which needed replacing. Problem fixed.

PJDM1980
06-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Great thread. My pod lights above my stereo flash on and off, 1 works then they all do, then two work.

I was told it had something to do with number plate light being out.

Mzsammi
06-02-2012, 11:53 PM
you know what i think my clubby likes to break my heart haha to be honest. as much as i loveee it. im still trying to figure out WHY holden/hsv just couldnt get common stuff right.

ok the nut behind your wheels are dodgy and need to be replaced ( common problem apparently ), rear wheel bearings... and the sensors...

DmMaloo
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I was told it had something to do with number plate light being out.

Spoke to city Holden today. Said they would replace the units under the warranty. It happens to quite a fee of them.

Omarko
07-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi mate, i'm in the process of doing a list of common problems and fixes for E1, E2 and E3 HSV's. Should have it all done in the next week or so and will post it up, it's a big list of things :mad: but all easily fixed

Cheers
Ali

hey mate

I just sent you a message. If you can post the manual to me I can scan it into digital format and we can all share!

let us know !

Simonk
11-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Very interested in the fix for the head unit #4, I have the Hi-Tv navigator installed & it's forever changing colors & blanking out all together, very annoying, pricks at Holden have my car flagged as no further warranty due to the supercharger!!! WTF!

Don't forget the shit std clutch pedal that sticks to the floor in the manuals!!

These were warranty upgrades, that I got no questions asked ( until I got flagged)
1) harmonic balancer upgrade - factory one had a wobble in it from new
2) also replaces the sprung tensioner for a revised one - something about harmonics & excessive noise!
3) revised air con bracket/tensioner ect - something to do with noise & belts throwing off ( common occurrence at power play)
4) clutch revision - they fit an LS7 clutch & pressure plate - still shit, clutch still sticks to the floor - pressure plate actually goes to far in & goes over centre, usually pedal comes up when revs go down after spirited shift , but sometimes needs to be pulled back off the floor with your toe.

They were supposed to replace the clutch pedal assembly also.

Simonk
14-02-2012, 02:26 PM
The waterfall
The cowling at the bottom of the winscreen warps over time creating a gap between the windscreen and the plastic. When it rains or you wash your car, water flows down the firewall into the engine bay. Water can also find its way into the footwells through places like where the clutch pedal attaches to the firewall. You can check the foam backing on your floor mats for evidence of perishing as these disintegrate fairly quickly if wet for a while.

Leaking doors

Water flows between the window and the rubber seal, down the inside of the door. If the plastic membrane hasn't been sealed properly, it then flows out the bottom of the door and onto the steps (don't know what that bits called) then down under the carpet.

SEN250
18-02-2012, 10:04 PM
E1 MY09 Senator - memory seats malfunction

The memory buttons on the drivers stop working & the keys do not remember the last seating postion/mirror postion/mirror dipping when unlocking the vehicle.

This has happened to me twice so far, and while not a massive issue it is annoying as both the MRS & I regularly drive the car.

Apparently it's some sort of computer issue, so Holden tell me.

The fix is to pull the circuit breaker for the power seats (located in the fuse panel in the LH footwell) which re-sets the system. The only problem is that you need to set up and save all your memory settings again.

0757hil
14-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Cheers
Ali

I too am looking forwards to seeing this port.. Gr8 forethough mr323

mrrjclarke
18-06-2012, 11:36 AM
My friend and I both have 09 GTS's and both of us had our tail lights replaced under warranty as the reflective horizontal section in the middle of the tail light faded.

Atomic maloo 01
18-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Sailpane warps in heat on the Maloos

moray066
16-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi all, had an issue with the Clubby today, did a search and thought this would be the best place to post rather then create a new thread. While out for a drive today decided to turn the air con on only to have warm air blown at me, now Iv'e heard of Ve's throwing belts so thats the first place I looked and low and behold, there is no belt to the air con compressor, dont know when it came off or where the hell it went! My Clubsport is a December 08 build with a LS3, it is fitted with the single idler pully, now on this thread it is mentioned that a duel idler pully system will fix the problem so this wont happen again, my question is, where is the best place to get this? Should I go direct to Holden/HSV or is there an aftermarket solution?
Thanks in advance

GTS-213
17-07-2012, 12:49 AM
My old man owns a vz Calais with the last of the gen 3 fitted to it and for a few weeks had been complaining about when hitting a decent sized bump that the instrument cluster and climate control would drop out. The other day they both dropped out all together and hadn't come back to life. After a couple of hours of thinking and following the wiring diagram with a few bourbons under the belt I had found that nearly all the earth points double up and find their way into a single connector that mounts right next to the battery. Something so simple can cause the biggest of problems. To curb the problem I have since cleaned the earth point and re cheaked all other major earth wire connections, I have also made an earth wiring kit up to stop the voltage drop between certain points in the car.

PJDM1980
27-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi all, had an issue with the Clubby today, did a search and thought this would be the best place to post rather then create a new thread. While out for a drive today decided to turn the air con on only to have warm air blown at me, now Iv'e heard of Ve's throwing belts so thats the first place I looked and low and behold, there is no belt to the air con compressor, dont know when it came off or where the hell it went! My Clubsport is a December 08 build with a LS3, it is fitted with the single idler pully, now on this thread it is mentioned that a duel idler pully system will fix the problem so this wont happen again, my question is, where is the best place to get this? Should I go direct to Holden/HSV or is there an aftermarket solution?
Thanks in advance

I had the very same problem but mine turned out to be a worn air con pump bearing which gave it enough movement to kick the belt off when under heavy throttle.

jay4nax
23-08-2012, 07:12 PM
4152I havent had many problems with my 2008 317 GTS until today
When i went to use my keless entry it didnt work, all it did was flash the lights but not unlock. the boot still opens but the doors only unlock with the key. I also noticed that the button in the center console only makes a slight click sound in the doors but wont lock or unlock.
Has anyone else had this problem or know of a fix?

Cheers

Benazz
26-08-2012, 07:08 PM
The waterfall
The cowling at the bottom of the winscreen warps over time creating a gap between the windscreen and the plastic. When it rains or you wash your car, water flows down the firewall into the engine bay. Water can also find its way into the footwells through places like where the clutch pedal attaches to the firewall. You can check the foam backing on your floor mats for evidence of perishing as these disintegrate fairly quickly if wet for a while.

I've got this issue - anyone know the best way to fix? Replace the cowling or try seal underneath it?

Pretty sure the water is running into the air box then the foot fan is just pushing it through into the passenger footwells :(

senta
15-10-2012, 10:24 PM
the main pully wobles- straight from the factory floor apparently. mine does a bit and it throws the aircon belt.
the next one isnt really a problem but a lot questions have been asked in regard to the way the autos perform so its a bit of an issue with the "hesitation"... you can get it tuned.
water drips on to engine cover in heavy rain from where the rubber seal meets.
mine had a bit of a rough idle but after a tune {and only using bp 98}its ok, i heard of others having that prob too.
in all i havnt really had any probs more fun than anything!!!

ChrisHSV06
15-06-2013, 07:38 PM
It's either snapped or it's found it's way through the harmonic balancer and the belt then fallen out.. It's verry common on the E1. Simple fix, get a high performance belt kit with teeth on them.. I haven't thrown a belt since I put them on.. Don't buy GM belts it will only happen again..

FollowTheSapper
14-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Since I am looking at getting an E3 R8 when I get home, I have been trying to find the common faults for them so as I can make sure it has been fixed already or at least know what to expect. So far I have:
- Rear Indicator flash
- Tail light fade
- Binnacle light flicker/fail
- Paint

Are there anymore common issues and are these ones above correct or for previous models?

metester
14-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Since I am looking at getting an E3 R8 when I get home, I have been trying to find the common faults for them so as I can make sure it has been fixed already or at least know what to expect. So far I have:
- Rear Indicator flash
- Tail light fade
- Binnacle light flicker/fail
- Paint

Are there anymore common issues and are these ones above correct or for previous models?

There are more than this that you should check out. Many are mentioned at the beginning of this thread. An E3 sounds awesome. Good luck with the search!

FollowTheSapper
14-08-2013, 06:14 PM
There are more than this that you should check out. Many are mentioned at the beginning of this thread. An E3 sounds awesome. Good luck with the search!

Thanks Metester,
Have gone through the entire thread, but most of the issues seem to be directed at the E1 HSV's. This may be na´ve but surely these issues were fixed by the time the E3 was released!

Did MR323 ever upload the common problems list for all the models? If so where is it located

metester
24-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks Metester,
Have gone through the entire thread, but most of the issues seem to be directed at the E1 HSV's. This may be na´ve but surely these issues were fixed by the time the E3 was released!

Did MR323 ever upload the common problems list for all the models? If so where is it located

Yeah. This was for the E1. Not sure about the E3 and you would expect most would have been ironed out by the E3. In fact, thankfully most of the E1 probs I had have been corrected on my car.:-)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

three12
31-08-2013, 01:42 AM
moray, did you ever find where to source the duel idler pulleys?
ive only had my E2 clubby for 2 weeks and hadn't tried the aircon before testing the launch control function. it threw the belt but only off the compressor pulley, it stayed around the main pulley. the dealer sent me to his mechanic to put it back on but 4 hours later it jumped off again!(only gave it a little squirt)...
the mechanic had suggested an easy fix would be replacing the belt with a 10mm shorter one to increase the tension on the belt and pulley. i will try getting one tomorrow but if doesn't fix it ill have to find another solution like the duells...

07GTS
31-08-2013, 02:37 AM
moray, did you ever find where to source the duel idler pulleys?
ive only had my E2 clubby for 2 weeks and hadn't tried the aircon before testing the launch control function. it threw the belt but only off the compressor pulley, it stayed around the main pulley. the dealer sent me to his mechanic to put it back on but 4 hours later it jumped off again!(only gave it a little squirt)...
the mechanic had suggested an easy fix would be replacing the belt with a 10mm shorter one to increase the tension on the belt and pulley. i will try getting one tomorrow but if doesn't fix it ill have to find another solution like the duells... measure the belt to see how much it has streched and if it has just get the standard length, id highly recommend the gilmer blue racing belts they are cheap and dont strech...

moray066
02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi, yes I did source the part, direct from Holden, I'll see if I can find the invoice for the part number. When I called Holden they were aware of the problem and the part required to fix it. Ask for a twin pulley kit for the air con belt. They supply you with the bracket and one pulley, you use your existing pulley for the second pulley. It holds the belt at the top and bottom making it impossible for the belt to 'jump'. It was tricky fitting it but have not had a problem since. I'd recommend changing it

three12
03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
thanks moray and 07gts. i've got my uncle on to it. hes good mates with a bloke at a holden dealers. I appreciate your replies. thanks again...

Samanator
09-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Is it normal for the VE's to have alignment issues?, Mine(MY12 Senator ) seems to pull to a side (even on the freeway I cant go too far with the steering wheel straight as the car will slowly move to one side)and when I brake the steering will always turn to the left. HSV dealership did a free wheel alignment for me after I told them, but I dont see a big change. They said its normal for HSV VE's because the car is low? :/ .. any thoughts?

07GTS
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
i have mine quite low and it steers fine, how are the tyre pressures if one side is low it will pull that way

Samanator
09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
It says tyer pressure normal ... but its not exactly the same on both sides
What would you recommend for the front and rear? Ill change and see if that helps.
Cheers 07GTS

ClubbyJay
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
My Clubsport has been tracking terribly for a while now. I'm constantly fighting to keep it going in a straight line. It hasn't always been like that though, so I put it down to tyre wear.

I did get Holden to give it a wheel alignment a while ago with no change.

It also seems to be more sensitive to tyre pressures with higher pressure around 40 psi all round giving the best outcome.

I guess I'll know for sure when it comes time to replace the front tyres.

07GTS
09-09-2013, 10:09 PM
yea i have cold pressure at 40psi, maby holden have a bit of pull to the left for safety..? i still have the original front tyres too 31k now and still good... maby have an alignment somewhere alse see what they find...

Senator01
15-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Quick answer guys .... the E series issues talked about - Sagging Front Bar, Noise (clunk) in Front suspension and fast indicator. Are these easy simple fixes? Can any be done through a HSV/Holden warranty recall type fix? Or are they do yourself big money fixes? Need answers asap please...

Looking seriously at very very clean and tidy E1 Senator .. low k's and very good money. Only issues are what I believe to be as above. Knocked it back on info from this thread ... but if an easy and cheap fix then may reconsider.

07GTS
15-09-2013, 08:14 PM
i have a thread on how i fixed the sagging front bar somewhere rather cheap too, fast indicator is either more resistance needed in the circuit or a new module or rear tail lights need re-soldiering if u call hsv they might just send u out a patch loom first free of charge and it might fix it or the other two u will have to pay for but many people do the change over now too, front suspension clunk might just need the rubber insert in the spring...

scottcmb
15-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Quick answer guys .... the E series issues talked about - Sagging Front Bar, Noise (clunk) in Front suspension and fast indicator. Are these easy simple fixes? Can any be done through a HSV/Holden warranty recall type fix? Or are they do yourself big money fixes? Need answers asap please...

Looking seriously at very very clean and tidy E1 Senator .. low k's and very good money. Only issues are what I believe to be as above. Knocked it back on info from this thread ... but if an easy and cheap fix then may reconsider.

As far as your front suspension clunk is concerned, check the strut tower bearings......series 1 had a known problem for them collapsing and there was a revised bearing released to combat the problem.

Scotty :)

Senator01
15-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys

Scotty ... is the strut bearing a HSV free fix? Do they supply and fit or is this something done by the owner?

scottcmb
15-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys

Scotty ... is the strut bearing a HSV free fix? Do they supply and fit or is this something done by the owner?

Mine was fixed when under warranty in 2011 by HSV when the car was 2 1/2 years old.......they only replaced them if needed at no cost.

Im not sure what they would say or do with a car that's out of warranty where the bearings are concerned. And it is an HSV revised part. They already had them in stock in the parts department when they did mine.

The cost of them im not sure of, but if you go to have them done warranty or not get them to check the sacrificial plastic coil covers that are top and bottom of the springs for being worn through.

Hope this helps

Scotty :)

James88
27-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Does any one have fix to this problem

"4) Radio Facia. The S1 has bad solder joints on the circut board causes cutting out. colour changes."

Mine has been cutting out quite regularly, with tap on the side used to bring it back on but
it seems to be getting much worse now and harder to get it going again.

This affects radio and air con/heater.

Has anyone had any success in having this fixed.

I dont want to go to Holden as they gave a rough quote of in excess of 1k to change facia.

I'm in the inner eastern Melbourne suburbs.

Roger
20-10-2013, 10:49 PM
The AC belt tensioner with dual idlers is part no 92252927. The belt suggested for it is 92244381 / 4PK1108.
It's an aluminium bracket to replace the existing, a fixed idler & the tensioner idler.

Audi
21-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Mr323 did you ever get around to posting the VE list ?

Mr48Volts
10-11-2013, 05:37 AM
I'm having this problem too, sadly the shorts in the radio also trip my ABS and ESC, they are constantly turning off.

I've already had one facia replaced so this is the 2nd one now

Does any one have fix to this problem

"4) Radio Facia. The S1 has bad solder joints on the circut board causes cutting out. colour changes."

Mine has been cutting out quite regularly, with tap on the side used to bring it back on but
it seems to be getting much worse now and harder to get it going again.

This affects radio and air con/heater.

Has anyone had any success in having this fixed.

I dont want to go to Holden as they gave a rough quote of in excess of 1k to change facia.

I'm in the inner eastern Melbourne suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

James88
10-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Mr48Volts

Mine was getting pretty bad so l tried pulling faceplate out by watching a you tube video, l was unable to unhook it
but now everything seems to work Ok.
I am guessing l must have moved connection around while doing it and now making better contact.

RCBVFGTS
11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi guys

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, however it's in regards to the VF. On the HSV Facebook page a GTS owner (I think it was the VF GTS) mentioned she is having terrible trouble with HSV batteries. She has been caught out now twice where the batteries have died on whilst driving, actually was driving then stopped for fuel etc. She had been told by her HSV dealership that unlike the older models that now the battery doesn't charge whilst driving and that it was her problem.

Is this right? if the battery doesn't charge, or should I say the alternator doesn't charge the battery whilst driving when does it charge it then?

Audi
11-11-2013, 04:08 PM
lol battery doesnt charge while driving! That cant be true..

Surfnturf
11-11-2013, 05:36 PM
VF means the Fairies charge the battery at night when everybody is asleep !!!!!!!!

moray066
11-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Don't they now have regulators which only charge the battery when required and not continually. Does not mean they never charge and if the information is correct and the dealer is telling her its her problem then that sales person needs to be put in place, another case of poor customer service or a misunderstanding?

RCBVFGTS
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Don't they now have regulators which only charge the battery when required and not continually. Does not mean they never charge and if the information is correct and the dealer is telling her its her problem then that sales person needs to be put in place, another case of poor customer service or a misunderstanding?

You know what mate, I had the same feeling about that too. I think the current Toyota Landcruiser utes now use the same technology too. My dad has one and I'm sure he mentioned something like that about it when he was looking for a dual battery set-up.

07GTS
11-11-2013, 06:47 PM
yep started with the ve the charging is controlled by the ecu and if it dosnt need to charge it wont and when it does it will, if u look at ur volt gauge on a long trip it can be anywhere from 12.8 to 15v depending on what its doing, so it does charge when driving just not all the time which also helps emissions aparently...

Audi
12-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Guys did we ever get around to getting a digital list of common VE faults and fixes?

Nitrate
15-11-2013, 10:22 PM
lol battery doesnt charge while driving! That cant be true..
My BMW X5M only charged the battery when breaking and idle, true that, not sure about the VF. For those who don't drive often or drive mostly freeway to and from work this will be an issue. Would be good to find out if the VF works on the same principle. I had heaps of issues and battery replacements :( Especially in Winter...

Audi
16-11-2013, 01:52 AM
My BMW X5M only charged the battery when breaking and idle

Last time I checked that was called driving a car.

But any way.. it would have a capacitor that stores energy from the "drive" then transfers to the bat when it's idle..
The dealers claim of it not charging while driving is a moot point because the thing gets charged. Otherwise 5 minutes after Turing the aircon on we'd all need a new battery..

Y2Clubby
07-12-2013, 03:17 AM
I dropped my 08 Clubby at the dealership today to fix the facia, going pink and black, then sometimes goes blank and I can't adjust the climate control or anything. The harmonic balancer has a definite wobble, as does the pulley on the power steering pump. I bought my car from a Mazda dealership and I doubt they're aware that these issues are common amongst E1's.
I understand that the facia is just bad solder joins, and this can be rectified by having the joins re soldered, but what about the harmonic balancer? What is the cause of the wobble, and does it cause any other issues to the engine?
I only got a 3 month warranty, and it's nearly up so I want everything fixed now before I have to fork out more for my car.

Srrzs
18-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering with edi system can we reset the fuel graph within edi..not the trip system ?

And can we turn off the screen while car and still running ? E3 and vf systems

WIKED
19-12-2013, 09:26 AM
This thread is for E1 common problems. EDI came out in E3

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Srrzs
19-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I get it buddy, my apologies.. I just didn't think my questions validated a new thread for it..

FollowTheSapper
19-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering with edi system can we reset the fuel graph within edi..not the trip system ?

And can we turn off the screen while car and still running ? E3 and vf systems

Not sure about the fuel but if you press the vol button on the fascia in the E3 it turns it off.

Srrzs
19-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Really, do you have to hold the button down ?

Because I know it's the on and off button, but I wanted more than that, to turn screen off ?

FollowTheSapper
19-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Really, do you have to hold the button down ?

Because I know it's the on and off button, but I wanted more than that, to turn screen off ?

My bad! It only turns the programs off not the screen.

Srrzs
21-12-2013, 08:15 PM
hey guys I think this will work for all ve+ vehicles... i tried it on an e3 works like a charm its pretty cool actually.. turns off all in cabin lights... you turn it back on using the same method..

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006-2013/182966-blacking-out-iq-screen.html

MikeVeSenator
11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I've just replaced my existing rear 275/35/19 with the same size tyre just different brand.

Now my ESC is kicking in when I go around corners at a relatively normal speed.

Any idea why it's now happening.

This is a great thread as I only recently purchased the Senator and I've already got the front shock knocking, rapid indicator and harmonic balancer wobbling.

Still awesome car though.

Mike

James88
11-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Cant help you with an answer but I have found the same and am interested to hear from others that may have an answer.

Hi everyone,

I've just replaced my existing rear 275/35/19 with the same size tyre just different brand.

Now my ESC is kicking in when I go around corners at a relatively normal speed.

Any idea why it's now happening.

This is a great thread as I only recently purchased the Senator and I've already got the front shock knocking, rapid indicator and harmonic balancer wobbling.

Still awesome car though.

Mike

Audi
11-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Hrmm. Very interessed to here more on this one.

07GTS
11-01-2014, 08:49 PM
very odd that it made a difference because the ve has different profile tyres front to rear so in the calibration there has to be a margin of error and i dont the different brand tyres would put it out, sure something wasn't bumped or the sensors on the swing arm got damaged maby..? if it was damaged the ecu won't be getting load information from that sensor when turning ect. will be interested to know what the fault ends up being...

surfwagon
12-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Are your new tyres a good sticky brand or cheapies, they may be spinning slightly on turns making the ECS think the car is sliding.

Audi
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Surely a new tyre albeit a cheap couldn't be that slippery!?

Srrzs
12-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Mate.. If your driving around in a Ve senator with mis match tyres.. That's looking for trouble that car is big, powerful, heavy and expensive.. Just be patient and drive around on it at nana speeds till you can get a brand new set..

Second hand tyres have expiry dates, plus you don't know what sort exposure that tyre has had.. Just because a tyre shows good tread.. Doesn't mean sh..t !

Audi
12-01-2014, 11:57 AM
lol, who said anything about second hand tyres? He put a new rear set on, there should be no issue.
Having a different brand on the front should mean anything.

Srrzs
12-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Sorry buddy.. I just assumed.. Because he didnt say it was new tyre (singular) he just replaced with a different brand ...Usually second hand tyres cause that sort of problem..

MikeVeSenator
12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Both rear tyres are brand new. They're nothing flash brand wise Kumho $220 a tyre. I do about 800+ km's a week so chose to go something cheaper for costs.

Not sure how slippery they are new and whether they slide enough to set off the ESC but if I knew the answer I guess I wouldn't be in here lol

Where is the swing arm sensor located?

Mike.

07GTS
12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
if u look underneath there should be one on each lower swing arm
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/07GTS/20140112_163550_zpsee119539.jpg

Srrzs
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
What tyre pressures are you running ?

MikeVeSenator
12-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Ok I'll go have a look and check for damage. My mrs damaged the front bar about a week and a half ago, would that affect anything sensor wise?

Psi I'm not sure but I'll check this too. Previously in the other tyres was 38psi.

Mike

07GTS
12-01-2014, 10:44 PM
should be ok with the front I've ripped the corner of mine once when it got caught when reversing once and have no issues

ClubbyJay
13-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Have you put some kms on the tyres and are they ok now?

Apparently when tyres are brand new they can still have a wax coating on them from the moulding process.

I remember getting new tyres once and was spinning the rears with light throttle driving away.

MikeVeSenator
13-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Have you put some kms on the tyres and are they ok now?

Apparently when tyres are brand new they can still have a wax coating on them from the moulding process.

I remember getting new tyres once and was spinning the rears with light throttle driving away.

I've put about 600-700 km's on them and it still happened this morning at 55km/h.

I will take it back to the tyre place I think and get them to check it.

Mike

Brutus
17-01-2014, 07:20 PM
There is always a quick way to remove the 'shipping' wax that is on the outside of the tyres you know... :twisted:

MikeVeSenator
20-01-2014, 10:09 PM
There is always a quick way to remove the 'shipping' wax that is on the outside of the tyres you know... :twisted:

Haha yeah it is very tempting to just 'light em up' but with the way my harmonic balancer is I'm worried I'll break something. And considering the amount of things that have gone wrong in the 6 months I've had it, it would be the straw that breaks the camels back.

It is feeling a bit more like the front left shock might be the issue as it feels/sounds like it makes a knock just before the ESC kicks in.

What after market harmonic balancers would people recommend as a replacement? I've looked at the Powerbond and Romac's so far.

Mike

MikeVeSenator
28-02-2014, 08:16 PM
So little update

Just put the Senator in for its 100K service and had a few of the issues fixed.

ESC engaging was apparently due to brake dust build up fouling the sensor.
Harmonic balancer and belt replaced, required a machinist to remove the bolt
Snapped engine mount
All new leads

It's driving perfectly now

Mike

Runge gts
24-03-2014, 08:19 PM
GDay,

I have replaced rear lights (blinking dast, fading and night light stop working). I have replaced the clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel. Replaced the diff (rebuilt 4.11 ratio). I have also rebulit entire motor including the pully system.

Pumps out 360rwkw

benyoman_27
25-03-2014, 09:04 PM
I've got this issue - anyone know the best way to fix? Replace the cowling or try seal underneath it?

Pretty sure the water is running into the air box then the foot fan is just pushing it through into the passenger footwells :(

Has any one fixed this problem them selves? Or where would the best place to take the car to get it fixed? A panel beater or a windscreen place? Cheers

RCBVFGTS
05-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I just took my VF GTS for a quick spin, first time in a few months. It came up with a message saying

"Service front camera" with a little picture of a car going over a lane. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

myBerlina
06-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Have not seen that message.
But, is your windscreen clean?

Heady86
24-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Hi, this thread is quite old but i've noticed this happening on my senator. The plastic where the wipers are located is pulling up from the windscreen, water is going down through the gaps, my lights also have condensation on the inside of them, not sure how water can make it in their. Will they fix my first issue under warranty? does anyone know how much it costs to fix if not under warranty and where is the best place to take it?

Cheers

Audi
26-06-2014, 02:20 PM
That should all be covered if you bought the top tier warranty. It's as good as a new car warranty.

Y2Clubby
29-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Anyone had any alternator issues with their E1? The message on the centre screen indicated something happened to the alternator just after I gave it a blast.

http://i57.tinypic.com/30kdiu0.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2m5dnhh.jpg

Anyone ever had this before?

WIKED
29-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I have never seen that on mine

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

poorman
12-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Hi all I have a slight vibrateing from the front right side on my E1 // I had the front tyres balanced and its still there do u think it could be the strut bearing causeing this @ 110 klms as alighment is spot on .it has the e1 clunk in the suspension on bumps but otherwise im thinking strut bearing ?? only vibrates on up and down movement

FollowTheSapper
12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi all I have a slight vibrateing from the front right side on my E1 // I had the front tyres balanced and its still there do u think it could be the strut bearing causeing this @ 110 klms as alighment is spot on .it has the e1 clunk in the suspension on bumps but otherwise im thinking strut bearing ?? only vibrates on up and down movement

Wheel bearing?

poorman
12-06-2015, 09:10 PM
nuh not wheel bearing all tight and no movement..might just put a strut bearing kit in next week and see...thanx sap

WIKED
14-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Tekno replaced one of my right rear wheel bearings late last year on my E1 GTS as it was making some slight noise when turning left all the time.

poorman
24-06-2015, 06:26 PM
//// new boots all round and front strut bearings .//.Problem found front RH strut......

NU13
22-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Anyone had any alternator issues with their E1? The message on the centre screen indicated something happened to the alternator just after I gave it a blast.

http://i57.tinypic.com/30kdiu0.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2m5dnhh.jpg

Anyone ever had this before?

Bit of a thread dig i know but you get to the bottom of what was the cause of the alternator light on the dash? I replaced my battery recently and get this warning come up on my dash as well but there are no codes loged and the battery is being charged properly.

benyoman_27
10-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Hey guys an girls, I've been trying to find info on this for ahwhile now but just can't manage too, but my issues is now my power steering. First of all I don't have a clue what the coil thing is called that the VE series ones have where the power steering resivoir goes into like a cooler infront of the radiator. Every time I look it up it comes up with power steering cooler but that's not it. It's has 2 lines coming from the resivoir an one line goes to this thingy, any way that's leaked fluid now, an I've left it to long. Now the power steering is now making some noise once it heats up. It's like a really small knocking noise so not to sure what going on there. I like trying to fix the issues myself if I can. Any help is much appreciated! Cheers guys

Y2Clubby
11-04-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure if this has been solved, but if anyone has any issues with their head unit display in E1's, where the colour changes, of it goes blank, leaving you without hvac controls, the fix is pretty easy.

1: Remove the facia from the head unit/display screen

2: Take out the screws that are on the back of the facia and separate the cover from the facia

3: once you remove the backing plate, you'll see some metal tabs that extend up and out from the facia.

4: slightly bend ( max 3mm) those tabs up and away from the facia.
These tabs are essentially grounding wires that must make solid contact with the big metal square earth plate, which is on the back cover that you unscrewed earlier.

5: put the cover back on and screw it down right.

6: re-install the facia back onto the head units main body, and you're good to go.

QIKMIK
15-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Bit of a thread dig i know but you get to the bottom of what was the cause of the alternator light on the dash? I replaced my battery recently and get this warning come up on my dash as well but there are no codes loged and the battery is being charged properly.Had the same thing happening in my MY09 Sen Sig intermittently over the past 6 months or so. Escalated from this alternator warning to voltage spikes (up to 17v on the gauge) and associated dash dropouts, ABS and park brake warnings, BCM codes for both low and out-of-range voltage, the "Service Charging System" warning, all the while my battery stayed properly charged. All this nonsense culminated with a drive from Cooma to Jindabyne in "Battery Saver Mode" and a quick(and lucky) jump start to kick the thing back into life.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~qikmik/Senator/Alternator1.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~qikmik/Senator/Alternator2.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~qikmik/Senator/Alternator3.jpg

Local dealer replaced the alternator yesterday. Yay for Extended Warranty. Everything back to normal with the exception of a random centre gauge issue that was present before to the repair. Lighting is fine however all three take about 15-20 seconds to respond when I first start up. Chatting to 07GTS last night, I might have a dodgy capacitor to chase. Will see how it goes.

Cheers,

Mick

munga
30-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Pigs arse

white_lie
30-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Weird thread bump....care to elaborate?

Gts0907
18-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the E1 LS2 engine turning off when changing down gears?

HEDSUP
18-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the E1 LS2 engine turning off when changing down gears?

NO, never had that one.
I have had the "shift to another gear" message though

Gts0907
19-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Just driving around normally, slowing down. Dropping down from 3rd to 2nd, once I clutch in the revs drop down to idle than just shuts down, only happened two or three times

simo
05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
the red bar in the tail light fading has to be one of the biggest ones. So many have it, most on the right side. Mine have faded on the right side but not the left which is really weird.

NU13
02-02-2018, 07:04 PM
the red bar in the tail light fading has to be one of the biggest ones. So many have it, most on the right side. Mine have faded on the right side but not the left which is really weird.

Mine too. Right hand side has faded too clear but the left side is ok.

ilusiv1
24-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Strut top bushes, mine were poked