PDA

View Full Version : Pinging type noise on E1 LS2 motor when cold

metester
01-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi. I have noticed a pinging like noise coming from the engine when cold. Once the engine warms up it reduces yet I can faintly hear it and then when the oil begins to warm up it disappears. Is this something I should be worried about?Could it be an oil thing or fuel related?

Thanks

Sarge
01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi what fuel are you using?

My E3 used to do that when i used shell or caltex.

Once i was pointed in the right direction, i now only us BP 98 Ultimate and have had no issues since.

If I am unlucky and have to fill up with something else it pings straight away.

My two cents worth.

LS3 050
01-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Yep make sure you are using Premium 98 octane fuel, The performance place i get my work done say that bp ultimate is best in their experience.

surfwagon
01-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Your pinging problem aside a lot of the fuel quality comes down to shelf life and shell has the shortest, from memory about 6-8 days before it starts to loose octane with Mobil and BP the longest at 14-18 days .
Caltex falls somewhere in between, so from that you can also draw that shell might be ok to use if going to do a long trip with a day between tanks and BP/Mobil for weekend use cars.

metester
01-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. I must admit I have been filling up with whatever comes up when I need to fill up. I switch between 95 and 98 octane. I will try BP 98 from now on and see how I go. Good advice. Cheers.

07GTS
01-01-2012, 03:52 PM
noticed the fuel does make a difference myself had my gts on the dyno to get a base figure and my tuner noticed it a bit sergy in the higher revs and lost a bit of power i hadnt fueled up for close to 3 weeks and i had another run a week later and i fueled up the day before and it was fine... i always use BP 98...

Omarko
03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
so its the fuel is it ? Interesting, I have always been wondering what is that sound in my E1 Senator. Like OP said, it happens for probably first 2-3 minutes when I start the engine.

I normally use Shell 98 as the 8c / L dockets make a difference on the 73 litre tank (yes I drive a HSV but I am a tight ***). Problem is that I don’t drive my car a lot so I often fill up only 1-2 times a month.

I will fill up with BP ultimate next time and see if that makes difference. Thanks!

neil73
03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting reading. I switch between 95 & 98 depending on which station I'm p***ing, and it's normally shell or caltex.

Haven't heard any ping but do go through a tank in about 3 days...

SHADO
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Would the motor really ping while its sitting there at idle? I mean these motors are able to run on e10, why would a premium fuel ping at idle?

That kind of noise while the oil is cold i would say would be more related to the lifters or tappets, although i may be wrong...

metester
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I only notice the pinging went the engine is cold and accelerating mildly all the way through to more agressively although I am avoiding this now until warm. I had a full tank when I posted this and will wait until it lowers a fair bit before I try a higher octane fuel. I don't notice it at all when idling.

Omarko
04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I only hear the noise when the car is started in the morning. For example when I start it and drive it to shops, when I come back from the shops and start the car, I dont hear it.

I will try to record it when I come home and post up a short video tonight.

surfwagon
04-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Are you sure it is pinging and not just piston slap/Knock which was a common problem with the LS1 but can still happen with LS2/3 engines.
From wikipedia:
In the early production run of the LS-series engine, some engines encountered abnormal amounts of 'piston slap' - a problem caused by too much clearance between the cylinder bore and the piston.[11] 'Piston slap' sometimes sounds more like a knock or the sound of a diesel engine running. It is typically worse when the engine is cold and lessens as the engine reaches operating temperature. The noise of 'piston slap' often is louder when listening for it below the oil pan.
Also have a read of the following.
http://www.ls2.com/usa/printthread.php?s=&threadid=5267

metester
04-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks surf wagon. I don't think it is piston slap and more like what is described early in the article as normal for the LS2 until all the metal components heat up and expand etc. I will keep an eye on it though and experiment with the varying octane fuels.

Omarko
05-01-2012, 06:26 PM
ok, here is a short video I took :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqf-cm_CW8E&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, shortly after starting the car, the noise starts.

Strick
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry, but is the noise the high pitched tone?

metester
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
No. It a clicking type noise that gets faster as the engine revs get faster.

Omarko
06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry, but is the noise the high pitched tone?

for me, yes.

Rrrrrrrr8
09-01-2012, 06:07 PM
My Clubsport makes the same noise. Im sure its piston slap, because it goes away when the engine is warm. My V8 100 series Landcruiser made the same noise. It turned out to be a common fault and not serious, just annoying

metester
13-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I have now used BP 98 fuel and it is no different. I now believe it is piston slap as others have suggested. At least it doesn't last long into the drive.

hsv.286
13-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I have an ls2 and as stated in previous posts the clearances arnt too flash and my tuner changed the oil to better suit the ls2 when they did the cam swap etc..,no knocks or noises etc..!:)

surfwagon
14-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I have an ls2 and as stated in previous posts the clearances arnt too flash and my tuner changed the oil to better suit the ls2 when they did the cam swap etc..,no knocks or noises etc..!:)

Come on don't make us guess, what brand and weight oil did he use.

hsv.286
14-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Come on don't make us guess, what brand and weight oil did he use.From memory it was mobil semi-synthetic 15/40..! Another option would be to try the xado oil treatment aswell as they use it in their blown ve and test cars.I mite give that a crack when I'm due for the next oil change.

PJDM1980
18-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I had a issue with pinging for quite a while and the tuner couldn't figure it out the about six months later it drop oil pressure and turned out it had snapped the timing chain tensioner then broken up into small pieces and blocked the picked luckily I got to it in time and no serious damage was done.

GEEDEE
25-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi all I am new to the forum so imay have posted this wrong. I was wondering if metester had found what the ping was in his car? I have the same problem with my E1 Clubby. It is terrible cold sounds like a sewing machine but usually at only 1500 RPM. Sounds exactly like the video post in that shed. It did have the lifters replaced under warranty 6 months ago but since it's last service the sound has become more pronounced. It sounds exactly the same noise as the piston slap I had in my LS1 SS but that went completely out when warm. I can hear it even when hot but it is very faint and always at 1500 RPM.

Rrrrrrrr8
25-06-2012, 10:59 PM
From what I have seen in other posts this is a common problem and is piston slap when the engine is cold due to the pistons small skirt . Once the engine warms the piston expands and the noise goes away. My 100 series Landcruiser V8 did the exact same thing and Toyota said it was normal. My Clubsport does it also. Just need to warm it up a little in the morning.

Perpetual Jam
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Sarge
I tried to have a good look at your rims,
I have a red R8 and thinking of getting my rims painted black, I am also looking at lowering, spoke with Pedders the other day and was told I only need to change springs and not to bother changing shocks as mine are fine.
How did you lower yours? What rims does your R8 have?

Keith
11-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Sure it's not piston slap mate ( piston rattling around in the bore until they warm up and expand ) . These things were bad for it in the early days.

hotrodtwo
11-07-2013, 04:06 PM
It sounds like lifter .If it only makes a noise for about a minute it is ok .Sometimes they take time to pump oil into them.