PDA

View Full Version : Radio turns off at high revs !!

Rrrrrrrr8
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Howdy boys and ****s, yep its me again with another intriguing question.

My radio turns off inmy VE1 R8 at high revs. Its done it twice now, and returns to normal when the revs drop back don.

Is this normal, or am I just lucky. My radio has another problem also. The cd's wont eject sometimes.hmmmm

1SIKR8
13-12-2011, 02:17 PM
maybe your clubby wants you to hear it when it's revving so it politely turns off the radio for you and when it's done let's you have your music back

as for the CDs ... maybe it's a case of your car likes it more then you lol

ok time to be serious, I have herd the first of the VE's had problems with the computar that controls the radio/CD player and walk the aircon

another thing that comes to mind is your alternator, the VE have a system where when the voltage is too low it cuts out things that don't need to be on, I know this happens when the car is off but there is a chance it does it when the car is running, just throwing ideas out there

grange250
13-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi revs could mean the alternator (diode or rectifier plate too) may not be putting out enough juice and you are starting to run off the battery. A load test would determine that very quickly.

Rrrrrrrr8
13-12-2011, 03:55 PM
It's an odd thing because the radio power is still on but there is no sound when the motor is at high revs, but when you slow down the sound comes back. The air con is still working. My car has gremlins. It changes radio stations also. It used to display 24 hr time on my key and 12 hr on the wife's but I found out how to fix that.
Bloody cars!!

07GTS
13-12-2011, 08:01 PM
if u find the volt gauge at 15 volts all the time after been running for a few mins it might be ur battery on the way out, like 1sikr8 said if the battery is bad the computor will self regulate by increasing the volts out of the altenator also if ur battery is good and it has enough power it will stop the altenator from charging aswell, also have u just tryed un hooking the battery for a while the hook it back up sometimes these new cars get spikes and that can fix em, but as said by others id get the battery tested too...

Rrrrrrrr8
13-12-2011, 08:24 PM
my volt gauge sits on 14.5 when the car is cold then backs off after awhile. During the day it usually sits on 13, but when there is a load on like the headlights it sits on 14.
The battery tests ok, (Im a battery rep) and all the tests done seem ok. Its not the radio turning off as such, it turns off the vol , but still has power. It resumes normality when you ease up. Im talking about revving it over 6 grand when it does it. I dont drive like that all the time, only twice since owning it . :)

Luckily the new Commodores with the computer controlled charging system hasnt caused us too many headaches, but the new Fords with their Smart Charge is a nightmare.

My boss was down at Holden HO a few months back and one of the techs said that because everyone is so concerned about fuel economy,they have had to create smarter charging systems that draw less power from the engine, but also the cars have higher electrical drains. Basically if you have a flat battery in any of these new cars, you cant just jump start them and drive around the block a few times. The batteries need to be put on a battery charger, because the car isnt designed to charge a flat battery.

Im getting off topic here I know, but the latest news is that all the countries around the globe have made a decision to cut down on pollution and they have decided that stop start cars have to come into production . And by 2016 they must have 1/3 of the market share and by 2020 they must have 90% of the market share. Stop start cars turn off the engine when you stop at the lights and restart when you press the throttle. Just like a golf buggy.
Some European cars have this technology already, but soon all car manufacturers must build this style of car. This is going to cause a new set of headaches for us in the automotive industry.

Well thats enough from me , I now have brain strain.

cya

MalooMan
13-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Mate is your sound system completely stock? as iv gotta E1 maloo and in the middle of speaker n sub upgrade and i dont wanna have this goin 0n after spending a fortune on speakers amps n processor.

Rrrrrrrr8
13-12-2011, 08:45 PM
stock as a rock :)

IanR8
13-12-2011, 09:05 PM
In regards to the CD player this is a known issue on E1 HSV's, if your car is still under warranty Holden will replace the Head Unit, as long as the system is stock, as yours is. I had the same issue and because I had upgraded the speakers and added the Amps they would not touch it.

I then took it to a place on the Gold Coast and they replace the guts of the head unit, been going strong now for three years, give these guys a call http://www.electronicrepairs.com.au/index.html

07GTS
13-12-2011, 09:30 PM
hmm stop start driving may stop the drag racing off from the lights, the new cars are getting pretty good anyway my mum got a new focus diesel and sitting at the lights its only useing .6 lt/hr on the instant fuel, like my gts is at 2.4-2.7 lt/hr sorry off topic:)

Rrrrrrrr8
14-12-2011, 01:14 AM
In regards to the CD player this is a known issue on E1 HSV's, if your car is still under warranty Holden will replace the Head Unit, as long as the system is stock, as yours is. I had the same issue and because I had upgraded the speakers and added the Amps they would not touch it.

I then took it to a place on the Gold Coast and they replace the guts of the head unit, been going strong now for three years, give these guys a call http://www.electronicrepairs.com.au/index.html
Thanks will check them out :)

MalooMan
15-12-2011, 09:53 PM
hmm stop start driving may stop the drag racing off from the lights, the new cars are getting pretty good anyway my mum got a new focus diesel and sitting at the lights its only useing .6 lt/hr on the instant fuel, like my gts is at 2.4-2.7 lt/hr sorry off topic:)

We dont own these beasts to worry about fuel consumption, keep it up lol

07GTS
15-12-2011, 10:13 PM
We dont own these beasts to worry about fuel consumption, keep it up lol haha true that