PDA

View Full Version : stereo upgrade need help please

MalooMan
22-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi all, need to upgrade the stereo in the Maloo, just want some input from anyone thats done this. Ill be puttin in Focal 6.5" component speakers in doors and iv got a kicker 12" sub wanna no wat side people been putin sub in there ute driver or p***enger, also make sure 6.5" will fit in the door? and i wanna stick with the factory head unit also, wonderin how people taped into it to run an amp im thinkn high input to the amp? E1 maloo
any help will be much apprecated.
I chose the VE section coz i dont want people with say VZ sayin ahhh i did this with my vz or vt ........ dont care

Kam.e3
25-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Hey mate,

I have done exactly what you are talking about, The speakers behind in the parcel area of the E3 were terrible, what started off as just trying to fix them up a bit ended with the following-
Alpine Type R 6.5 splits in the front,
Two Alpine amps ( can get you the specs if you need them )
Type R 12" behind the drivers seat. ( The sub was a bit tricky ) went with a custom fibregl*** box, had to lose the jack though to a section i made in the tray. Also lost the map pocket above the jack housing area. Finished with the face of the sub sitting flush with the rear wall of the ute and carpeted so it actually look factory.
Still got the standard head unit with all the functions working. Sounds unreal, Had to get a b*** and treble control installed in the centre console as this system absolutely pumps and I listen to all types of music.
Let me know if you want any other details or pics on the finished product.
Highly recomend this setup if you enjoy good music.

MalooMan
26-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Ahhh m***ive help mate, i went to a local shop actualy one bloke tried tellin me would need a "processor" $1000 coz the factory headunit bad quality n runin splits i will get a high pitched noise? auto bahn reckon theyv done em without processor just need a "line level converter" $40 before the amps. iv ordered Focal 165KR splits, got a kicker 12" sub sittin around and a clarion mono block so ill use them for now prob go 12" shallow type R down the track and i just gotta buy a 2 channel amp whered you put ur amps mate ? I wont say no to some pics of your finshed product

neil73
27-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Post some pics dude if ya can,.. I'm intertested although I have the e3gts, but gotta agree, the sound is weak..

Kam.e3
27-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Gonna try some pics tonight,

I know stewie has gone over it numerous times but I cant seem to get photo bucket to work, will give it another go.

Kam.e3
27-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Also remembered , mine does have a processor, it cost $480 + install can get you the specs on it if you need them, Dunno if you have to, the bloke told me I would need it so I just did it.

1 amp under each seat as well as cross over units for the splits mounted under the p***enger seat.

Any other details you want let me know