PDA

View Full Version : How much power is too much!!

Senator01
18-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Interesting article in the Carsales website. Talks about the LA Motor show and some suprising power outouts from Chev, Ford and Chrysler. Here is a snippet: -

Where horsepower overtook hybrid power

The 2011 Los Angeles Motor Show will likely go down in history for the cars that weren’t there – and for giving the world’s motoring press a break from the barrage of hybrid and electric cars. Amen................

................good old fashioned horsepower is back: GM, Ford and Chrysler unveiled limited edition V8 models right under the noses of the toughest fuel economy regulators in North America.

After years of hybrid this and electric that it was good to see Ford swapping the vegan diet for a burger and a shake.

The new Shelby Mustang is a doozy: the most powerful V8 in the world, a 5.8-litre supercharged engine with 485kW and 813Nm – and a top speed of 202mph (or 320km/h). And it looks awesome.

The Camaro ZL1 is now diminished somewhat after a phenomenal build-up. Its supercharged 6.2-litre V8 with 432kW and 754Nm was hailed a hero, but has now been overtaken by Ford’s muscle car in the power stakes.

The Yanks were also complaining about the price of the Camaro ZL1: $56,000. That’s cheaper than a HSV Clubsport. If only we were so lucky…

The good news for performance car fans in Australia is that BOTH the uber Mustang and Camaro engines CAN fit in the Falcon and Commodore respectively. Here’s hoping the power struggle spills over the Pacific Ocean and that Barrack Obama isn’t the only high profile US visitor to Australia in the near future.

Holy 485kws Batman .... and off the shelf.
If you can believe the last paragraph then things are looking good for the continuing power war between our big two .... let the games begin.

220isenator
18-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Makes me wonder if this is why Ford have failed to include an XR8 in the new model lineup.

HSVGTS125
19-11-2011, 12:08 AM
In the lead up to Ford dropping the XR8 (and V8 all together), FPV released the GS as a limited model which was slightly better than XR8 but less than GT, basically an HSV Manta. Then during the FG upgrade Ford dropped XR8 all together along with FPV's GS becoming part of the perminant line up, hoping no one would notice so they could shift away from the V8 all together and FPV could be their sole V8 performance arm.
But in fact the opposite has happened, there has been a lot of quieries from dealers and customers awaiting arrival of it but it wasn't in the plan. Ford have blamed the old quad cam V8 wasn't compliant (which it wasn't) but FPV still spent money and went it alone so why didn't Ford? Well apparently Ford say the XR8 will be back in 2012 with the non supercharged version of the FPV 5 litre. So here's hoping, because believe it or not it keeps competition healthy

Sniper
19-11-2011, 08:56 AM
In the lead up to Ford dropping the XR8 (and V8 all together), FPV released the GS as a limited model which was slightly better than XR8 but less than GT
But in fact the opposite has happened, there has been a lot of quieries from dealers and customers . . . Well apparently Ford say the XR8 will be back in 2012 with the non supercharged version of the FPV 5 litre. So here's hoping, because believe it or not it keeps competition healthy

I will be curious to see what happens. . . as the GS is priced reasonably well. . . .my tip is that the XR8 may flop. . . . unless its priced in the very early 40's . . . !!!!

richo7502000
19-11-2011, 09:31 AM
True, but alternatively, Maybe the GS will flounder a bit like the GXP HSV did and the XR will be alright too...like you say Sniper will be a cost thing.

HSVGTS125
19-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I will be curious to see what happens. . . as the GS is priced reasonably well. . . .my tip is that the XR8 may flop. . . . unless its priced in the very early 40's . . . !!!!

I'd say (just guessing here) the XR8 would have to sit where it left off in the early FG which was exactly the same as XR6 Turbo at around $47k (cheaper than an AU XR8 with optional 17's and tickford bodykit in 1999). This would leave it roughly $10k below GS which is a good buffer zone