PDA

View Full Version : Mining

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey boys and girls

a while ago we had a thread about what we do for a living. and i did notice a few of the guys on here work on the mines around aus.

just curous who those people are.... i have some questions.:D

richo7502000
23-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Hello....HSV Forum!!!!!!! We dont drive big Yella trucks here :D :D :D

Senator01
23-09-2011, 07:05 PM
You could look in the previous fore mentioned thread ... see who works in the mines..... and pm them a question?? I'm just sayin'....;)

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 08:15 PM
im too lazy for that.

richo... be nice of ur shiney ranga clubby will be driven over by one :)

neil73
23-09-2011, 08:49 PM
What are the questions?

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 08:58 PM
just the usual. but ill chat to them privatley. as to not annoy richo too much lol. he might land a plane on my house or something :P

white_lie
23-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Sounds to me like you're fishing for a job... But you're "too lazy" to do some homework? Not really the attitude to come out with if that's the case :confused:

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 09:08 PM
excuse me?.

lets see i have done my homework, i know whats involved and how freakin painstaking it is to actually get a job in the mines when u have no hands on experience.
if i was so lazy and had the wrong attitude i wouldnt potentially be throwing away my spot in the air force.

i spend everyday applying, and reading. i also have a job which is hard work and mentally draining. not to mention the fact i goto gym everyday....

my apologies if u think that i was infact seriously lazy, but i dont find it to be fun sifting thru 30 odd posts in a thread.

but hey. the internet and forums are good for networking so if i am indeed offending you, feel free to pm me and waste my time in there.

HSVGTS125
23-09-2011, 09:42 PM
If you are lookiing to work in mining there is numerous ways to get in. What may work in one Mine may not necessarily get you a job in another. Also where your prepared to live factors into the process.

Being "Green" is not the barrier it once was when trying to gain employment into Mining as a lot of Companies now recruit a larger quoter of "unskilled" personnel. If your prepared to work in isolated areas in the Pilbara region you could possibly increase your chances of employment.

Another thing is the kind of Mining you want to work in. There is Admin, Process, Production, Maintenance, Services, Charge crews (explosives), and the list goes on. But again these may all be separate companies working at the one Mine or could be owner operator.

Another thing to consider is the Mining product type. Most people throw them all into one basket but there are different categories. For instance Coal and Metalliferous (base metal) have different Acts and Regulations so the requirements can be different (although very much the same).

All in all its either luck (right place/ right time like me 17 years ago), someone you know, skill base or someone actually read your application/ resume.

If your looking for yourself or someone else I would definately target SEEK and go from there. But always remember to follow up with questions if your at an interview stage no matter how minor it seems. Things like accomodation and food may be supplied but not free, is transport provided, what is supplied on site if its in a remote location and can I buy it there and what phone provider is in your area and what is the roster and hours worked? Plus DO I HAVE TO RELOCATE or can I commute. If I have to reloacte does the company pay?. Reason I put that there is some have fatigue policies that require minimal travel which may mean your current location may be too far.
They cant dictate where you live now but if you agree to their policy and sign the dotted line you COULD be breaching it by not relocating.

Every mine is different even if its the same company. So although you've done your homework it never hurts to research where you want to work as it will save you time in the long run by narrowing down your search.

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 09:50 PM
thanx HSVGTS125. pretty much the interstate move is most definetly on the cards and once a job is secure then i will be moving. i have heard about the fatigue policys so that doesnt phase me one bit.

lets hope luck finds me soon. because its rather depressing at this stage.
if i see " no entry level applications need apply" flat out all the time im gonna end up throwing my laptop in the shredder haha. and here i was at the start of the year crying over the process for the air force..... this is way worse

HSVGTS125
23-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Dont limit yourself to just entry level positions. This is just their way of narrowing down who applies. They may go through all applicants and not see what they like then come across yours and it could fit.
Just don't give up. There is a job for you, you just need to find it

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 10:00 PM
you tell me that now lol. after weeks of tears and tantrums. haha. :) i cant count the amount of times i have fallen asleep with my head on my computer, or sat there n smacked myself on the head wondering if im ever gonna find something. :) u just gave a glint of hope to some degree

richo7502000
23-09-2011, 10:25 PM
im too lazy for that.

richo... be nice of ur shiney ranga clubby will be driven over by one :)

Hahaha my Clubby aint no Ranga!!!! but good to see someone takes me seriously when im taking the P!ss :D :D

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 11:25 PM
is so a ranga :) !!! hahaha what u gonna do about it?? u cant beat me up im little :P i woulda said spank ...but last time i mentioned that word it sent a few ppl into a frenzy lol

white_lie
23-09-2011, 11:38 PM
I didn't mean to come across the wrong way but to ask people for help (or potentially a job) then say you're too lazy to sift thru a couple of pages on a forum doesn't really promote oneself.

What exactly have you been applying for?
BHP and Rio have a lot of work going at the moment. Loads of jobs on their websites. Otherwise apply thru recruitment agencies like Skilled, Oneforce, Chandler McCloud, Red dirt etc.

Everyone wants people with experience these days as many companies were bitten by the boom. Where a lot of people got let thru the floodgates and certainly shouldn't have been!
It will be interesting to see what unfolds overseas, if we're headed for another "recession", you'd be much better off where you are. Newer starters are usually the first to go when things go south.

vip_holden
23-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Mate im 21 and a machinist by trade... I have recently started a heavy duty mechabic trade in leonora (wa) and am loving it, 2/1 and money is sweet... Like ppl have sed just keep applyin it took me 4 years 2 get up here.

Mzsammi
23-09-2011, 11:45 PM
hm i think you ment it come across that way. you wrote what you thought, and hey thats fine by me. except you have no idea who i am. and although it seems valid, when ur reading a million pages a day for jobs. its not exactly the first thing i wanna do on this site. and asking for a job... no i was asking for advice to which a couple of nice people have responded in private. i hardley doubt anyone on this site actually owns a mine or is in a position to hire me i knew there were a few guys on the site who work in the mines or are supervisors or trainers.. so i think i am partially safe there.

regardless i will be changing jobs. i doubt " im better off where i am" is a good comment at this point in time. the past 6 months i have had a broken nose, bruised ribs, dislocated fingers, scratches etc from my job. an industry which i have been in for 8 years.

white_lie
24-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Physical jobs out here are still quite dangerous, permanent injuries and fatalities arent out of the question if you're working with heavy machinery and you're enough of an idiot (not saying you are by any means, just pointing it out as its still all too common IMO).

But that aside, I'm saying if the economy collapses, its very common for minesites to lay people off without warning. You don't want to spend years getting your foot in the door, only to be told there's no job for you in 3 months time. Just something else to think about before you give up your career.

richo7502000
24-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Physical jobs out here are still quite dangerous, permanent injuries and fatalities arent out of the question if you're working with heavy machinery and you're enough of an idiot (not saying you are by any means, just pointing it out as its still all too common IMO).

But that aside, I'm saying if the economy collapses, its very common for minesites to lay people off without warning. You don't want to spend years getting your foot in the door, only to be told there's no job for you in 3 months time. Just something else to think about before you give up your career.

Like most things in life, More money is payed for more responsibilities and/or more risk's (both physical risks to your safety, and getting layed off readily type risks). Which is why the mines have to pay the money they do, its not because they want to Sammi and you do need to weigh up the risks Vs the rewards. There is much more to mining than the big bucks you get paid, they work what I consider to be a tough roster and live in fairly harsh locations where there isnt much to do except gamble and drink....I know many guys who couldnt handle the lifestyle and returned tail between legs after trying to break into the industry over a long period. Jump on a Jet to Newman or similar, check the place out, see how expensive everything is there (they charge lots because its remote and they know everyone earns shit loads there) and see if it really is for you.

Mzsammi
24-09-2011, 08:44 AM
*bangs head against wall some more*

Senator01
24-09-2011, 09:08 AM
...... the past 6 months i have had a broken nose, bruised ribs, dislocated fingers, scratches etc from my job. an industry which i have been in for 8 years......

And you are contemplating joining the Airforce ...... the injuries above are mere flesh wounds compared to what you will get if you join the Blue brigade .....:p:p

Mining is where the quick bucks are atm ... so good luck if you head that way.

For interest, a mate of mine told me of jobs on the offshore rigs .... someone doing general duties (cleaning, laundering, etc...) was getting upwards of $200 to $250K annually. Something like 2 weeks on 1 off, etc...) Not bad for folding sheets. ..... Rig operators/workers were nearer $400K. For someone young, single this would be a good gig for a year or 2.

Mzsammi
24-09-2011, 09:12 AM
haha the look of releif washed over my dads face when i said i am considering mining . he didnt want his lil girl to go n play in warzones haha.

yeh i am almost young and single haha so even offshore stuff would be fun. :)

white_lie
24-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Everyone's got a mate's mate that is a cleaner on the mines/offshore that earns 200K :rolleyes:
Realistically, if you worked in construction doing 4/1's (or longer stints) as a cleaner or similar, you would be around 100-120K... Month on at a time, with 84 hour weeks and 1 week off isn't a very friendly lifestyle. You'll make good coin but you'll certainly be working for it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be cleaning half the rooms of guys i've worked with!

Not trying to stop you from joining the mining industry, but like mentioned, it's not all roses and easy money all the time!

How about "investing" in yourself so you don't have to start all the way at the bottom? Get yourself some tickets and then see how you go.

scottsr8
24-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Not trying to stop you from joining the mining industry, but like mentioned, it's not all roses and easy money all the time!

How about "investing" in yourself so you don't have to start all the way at the bottom? Get yourself some tickets and then see how you go.

Exactly mate!!

Mzsammi what tickets do you have??

gunsrunner
24-09-2011, 09:25 PM
If you really want to get in do a coarse, there are plenty.
Here is an example Cert 2 in Process Plant Operation, it is a 10 week coarse that costs around $900 and will give you the in you need.
http://psc.challenger.tafe.wa.edu.au/Search/courseDetail.aspx?initialLoad=yes&id_training_product=233134&id_course=W515&keyword=Process%20Plant%20Operations

cheers

Mzsammi
24-09-2011, 10:10 PM
at the present time i only just did my hr lic. have been looking at courses too.

GR8T
24-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I deliver fuel to mines everyday of the week, if you are prepared to relocate,try the hot spots in NSW at the moment as follows,
Whitehaven Mining- anywhere in the Gunnedah basin stretching from Narrabri in the north west down to Werris Creek which is only 50 klm south of Tamworth this is the new Hunter Valley and it is going to be very big.
Ulan basin - Mudgee area, new mines have just opened up here as well called Wilpinjong and Moolarben which are only 25 minutes from mudgee which is a great little town.
Both of these sites employ a lot of Females, best of luck to you Sammi !

Mzsammi
24-09-2011, 10:53 PM
thanx hunni :)

HSVGTS125
24-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I would hold off on doing anything like a Cert 2 or 3 in Process or Mining. Because Mining differs so much from site to site having a Cert 2 or 3 may be a waste of money if it covers sections that the employer does not have. This would be better off done when you work there.
Plus a Cert 2 or 3 generally shows proof of experience in these areas which you dont have. It would only be textbook experience which is nothing like the real world. Plus its not a requirement of employment with a lot of companies. They'll put you through it once your employed.

Id suggest making sure your first aid is current and doing a Generic Coal (Black Coal) or Metalliferous induction. You'll still have to do an induction once you start but already having one shows you've done the minimum (Aust Standard). Also if your targeting Coal you could do a Coal Board Medical (same as any medical but Coal think they're special).

Mzsammi
24-09-2011, 11:25 PM
haha thanx hsvgts125. you have been a great help. i really appreciate it. :)

TheRealShifter
26-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I've also been looking for mining jobs. I'm wanting to get into driving the "big yellah trucks" or operating other machinery. The super pit in WA offers traineeships, but you have to live in the Kalgoorlie area. I'm mainly after FIFO or commutable job. THere seems to be a lot of websites that give advice on getting mining jobs without any experience, but most seem to want to take your $$ to do it.
My cousin-in-law is a surveyor and recommended trying to get in as labour-for-hire: groups like MACA (www.maca.net.au) hire out labourers to mines and apparently if they like you enough a mine might take you on themselves.