PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for tune?

MalooMan
11-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi all, I will b lookin at gettin the Maloo dyno tuned within the next few months, OTR & headers goin on, just wanted to no some places worth taking it to other than walkinshaw, I'm on northside of Brisbane. Maybe give me a rough idea wat youse paid for this sorta tune, thanks heaps.

IanR8
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
On the Northside there is only one place to go and that is PowerTorque Engines at Brendale.

I don't take my car anywhere else.

Sniper
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
On the Northside there is only one place to go and that is PowerTorque Engines at Brendale.

+1 . . . Mark McLaughlan and his team are second to none in Queensland . . . and are geniunly interested in your car and your desires!!

MalooMan
11-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah thats wat i was thinkin, thanks for the help blokes

J8NE5Y
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I have had all my work and tune done at Power Torque Brendale, highly recommended.

Kam.e3
19-09-2011, 09:02 PM
interesting everyone recomending power torque, I had an interesting experience with them and I will leave it at that ( although this was 3.5yrs ago ). Honestly I found it very hard to find someone in Bris worth recommending. and a few of my mates have had a simlilar scenario. Personal decision I guess, I ended up driving my car from Goldie to Melb to get it sorted.

MalooMan
22-09-2011, 06:47 PM
interesting everyone recomending power torque, I had an interesting experience with them and I will leave it at that ( although this was 3.5yrs ago ). Honestly I found it very hard to find someone in Bris worth recommending. and a few of my mates have had a simlilar scenario. Personal decision I guess, I ended up driving my car from Goldie to Melb to get it sorted.

Holy f@#k mate thats dtermination to get it right lol thanks for the input much appreciated, want to shed any light on the incident ?

JonosHSV
03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi all, I will b lookin at gettin the Maloo dyno tuned within the next few months, OTR & headers goin on, just wanted to no some places worth taking it to other than walkinshaw, I'm on northside of Brisbane. Maybe give me a rough idea wat youse paid for this sorta tune, thanks heaps.

I want to upgrade my clubby although not 100% sure where to get it done in Melbourne. I'm prepared to spend up to $4k providing it's worth while.

LS3 050
04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I want to upgrade my clubby although not 100% sure where to get it done in Melbourne. I'm prepared to spend up to $4k providing it's worth while.

Give the Boys at Autotechnique a call, they do top work there. Many on this forum will vouch for that. They are at Knoxfield
03 9763 1195

Pickles
04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Give the Boys at Autotechnique a call, they do top work there. Many on this forum will vouch for that. They are at Knoxfield
03 9763 1195
+1
Cheers, Pickles.

HSV085
04-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Chev's Performance Centre in Carrum Downs(03 9776 8833) & APS in Frankston(03 9783 8300) are also good shops to go too, ive personally had work done with Chev's on my last car & cant fault their work & good old fashioned hospitality.

go sick
04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
if you want the best go see the boys at autotecnique 03)97631195 top of the tree mate best service going around

eastcoastcustoms
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
we can help you out :)

we are at kedron - a stones throw from chermside shopping centre

100% satisfaction guarantee on all our work and tuning

you dont pay the bill until we know you happy :)

09 ls3 m6 maloo as our company test vehicle - happy to take you for a spin in ours.. happy to show you over our old tunes and dyno results also

just another option for all you qld guys :)

J8NE5Y
12-10-2011, 08:21 PM
eastcoastcustoms when is your website going to be up and running?

Noodle
12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi, may I ask what is the purpose of a 3rd party tune for your car? Is it just to gain a few kw power or will it improve your fuel efficiency? I'm asking because my 2010 VE E3 GTS (auto) is consuming around 18L/100km around urban Sydney since I own it the past 5 months. I'm wondering if it is a bit too high as I am not a lead-foot driver.

eastcoastcustoms
13-10-2011, 11:09 AM
hey J8NE5Y .... soon hopefully.. i have finally bitten the bullet and fired the part time web designer who has left me with a half finished website for the best part of a year and hired someone else

paying an arm and leg for the re-development but it is now underway

should be finally up finished and fully functional by december

NOODLE - all of the above.. a tune should net some fuel economy gains and afew extra kw.. the big thing with the factory mapping in ve commodores is that they actually ping / detonate their *** off through the midrange ... this then causes them to drop onto their low octane maps etc, causing losses in fuel economy and efficiency etc

more power can also work out with better fuel economy also - more torque means less pedal effort required to accelerate and maintain speeds etc - a more efficient engine uses less fuel

we recently did a e3 clubby with baby cam and htv1900 blower - which saw ave readouts of around 11 l / per 100 with normal driving :)

the autos will always have slightly higher fuel economy readings than the manuals, but a good tune should see you bringing that ave fuel figure down a few l's / per 100

my own maloo - went from 18 down to sub 15's from the addition of exhaust otr and a tune... from the factory i could never crack 400 kms to a tank out of her... after the work and tune, always 500 +, unless im giving it a consistent hiding

crackelaktor
13-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Have just dropped my car with 3500kms in for a tune at Castle Hill Performance. David and Dale seem like nice honest blokes so hopefully they can help get the best out of this E3 GTS. The only mods on the car are a VCM OTR. I am told to expect a 15-20rwkw improvement from what I have now. We'll see......http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa3afb9-3cf8-40fa.jpg

dannym81
13-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm getting 450 to a tank and that's with a blower. Mostly freeway driving but I do still give it a hiding.

crackelaktor
13-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Have just dropped my car with 3500kms in for a tune at Castle Hill Performance. David and Dale seem like nice honest blokes so hopefully they can help get the best out of this E3 GTS. The only mods on the car are a VCM OTR. I am told to expect a 15-20rwkw improvement from what I have now. We'll see......http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa3afb9-3cf8-40fa.jpg

Picked up the car. Not sure if I can feel any difference at all. Car with OTR made 227.6rwkw and after tune made 264.7rwkw. Surely I should be able to feel this when driving. I am now wondering whether the right map was loaded as the tuner loaded the original tune to show me the before run as he forgot to capture it on the dyno sheet. The way the car feels, it could still have the stock tune by mistake. I will speak to them to see what's going on.....http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa3afb3-6047-ddcf.jpg

Noodle
13-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I am only interested in a tune to get a few extra kw's and more important better fuel economy than what I get now, not really interested in mods. Castle Hill is not too far from when I live (Rockdale) though still takes up to 45 minutes drive. Any other recommendation in Sydney for just a tune? Cheers.

crackelaktor
13-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Picked up the car. Not sure if I can feel any difference at all. Car with OTR made 227.6rwkw and after tune made 264.7rwkw. Surely I should be able to feel this when driving. I am now wondering whether the right map was loaded as the tuner loaded the original tune to show me the before run as he forgot to capture it on the dyno sheet. The way the car feels, it could still have the stock tune by mistake. I will speak to them to see what's going on.....http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa3afb3-6047-ddcf.jpg

Will be going back on Saturday morning for a check, but the car feels a lot more sluggish down low. Even though the dyno graph shows an extra 37rwkw, it feels very sluggish and hesitates compared to before the tune. If there isn't a simple answer, I will get the tune reflashed back to standard as the car felt stronger before.....lesson to learn here, if it feels good, just leave it. A good way to throw $880 down the gurgler. To be fair to the tuner, we haven't yet had a discussion about returning it back to standard and what that means from a cost perspective. I still reckon the map that shows 264rwkw is not the one I am driving on.

hsv.286
13-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Get it spun up again on the dyno just to double check,the car should be more responsive even with the 30 extra kw. As it's your hard earned $$.. Hope all goes well mate..:)

crackelaktor
13-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Get it spun up again on the dyno just to double check,the car should be more responsive even with the 30 extra kw. As it's your hard earned $$.. Hope all goes well mate..:)

Yep. Will do. Very disappointed but I'm sure the guys won't let me down. I spoke briefly with the tuner who suggested he removed timing down low so that it didn't rely on the knock sensors but I didn't understand this so will go back on Saturday and see what the go is. I was happy to see an extra 37kw on the sheet, but was let down when I drove off. Will keep the forum updated.

E3GTS4me
14-10-2011, 07:30 AM
yes you should defineatly feel the extra power....something just doesnt seem right, hope you get it sorted mate

crackelaktor
15-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Another hour spent on the dyno this morning and the car feels better down low. Thanks to Dale at Castle Hill for the retune and help.

JonosHSV
19-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Looking to increase proformance on a budget!! !

Hi,
I have a Clubsport 317kw and looking to liven it up abit. i have been considering doing the Walkinshaw 'power pack' upgrade although open to ideas.

Whats are you thoughts?? (im based in Melbourne, Vic)

Kam.e3
03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Took a while to get back, have been away,

Basically had a vz thunder and took it into power torque n got what I thought was OTR, 3:9s and a tune. When I got the ute back it ran like shit, couldn't idle, couldn't even get more than 300klm out of a tank of premium!,! Speedo wasn't even calibrated for the diff gears. Over 2 months took the thing back many times finally had the shits hard. Was finally informed by them that my computer was locked and they didn't have the code for it, so in fact my car had never been tuned for the OTR. Was a rubbish piece of service and I had a mate who was pissed about the results he got there as well. I was a big fan of high torque on the gold coast though. But eventually headed south for dyphillipo headers, exhausts high flows, fixed the OTR and tune finally got diff gears right went cam also, rip shifter pro, 2 x 12" subs amps etc, 20" white super sports, was stoked with the final product. Sold that now and a have a maloo, starting to look at getting that supercharged.

Hope you got yours sorted

R8133
26-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Guys,
Spoke to Autotechnique and APS today, I told both places my car is stock and that l want a VCM Otr and tune on my LS3.317 they came back with:

APS - expect around 380rwkw
Autotechnique - around 340 to 369 rwkw, I did say the car will be running 100 octane fuel.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers

fatass88
26-11-2012, 09:53 PM
I am only interested in a tune to get a few extra kw's and more important better fuel economy than what I get now, not really interested in mods. Castle Hill is not too far from when I live (Rockdale) though still takes up to 45 minutes drive. Any other recommendation in Sydney for just a tune? Cheers.

hi ive been to a few of the big name tuners in sydney and had some dissapointing results from them but i highly recommend sams performance,he is a top bloke and definetly knows how to tune these holdens and guarantee you wont be dissapointed.

07GTS
26-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Guys,
Spoke to Autotechnique and APS today, I told both places my car is stock and that l want a VCM Otr and tune on my LS3.317 they came back with:

APS - expect around 380rwkw
Autotechnique - around 340 to 369 rwkw, I did say the car will be running 100 octane fuel.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers sure they are rwkw or fly kw..? maby rwhp..? or is that ment to be 280rwkw etc not 3, that is alot otherwise from a standard engine with only an OTR, u havto have alot of work or a s/c to get 380rwkw

LS3 050
26-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Yep, what 07GTS said! You either have your kw and hp mixed up or rw and fw mixed up?? A stock 317 is roughly 235 - 245 rwkw. An OTR and tune from autotechnique should bring it up to around 260 - 280rwkw. Mine with OTR Cat back and tune from Autotechnique made 264rwkw back when thats all i had done

R8133
27-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Yep, what 07GTS said! You either have your kw and hp mixed up or rw and fw mixed up?? A stock 317 is roughly 235 - 245 rwkw. An OTR and tune from autotechnique should bring it up to around 260 - 280rwkw. Mine with OTR Cat back and tune from Autotechnique made 264rwkw back when thats all i had done
Sorry guys, suppose to be
- Aps said around 280rwkw
Autotechnique said between 240 to 260

Aps also said in the future if l need a exhaust and a retune they would NOT charge again for retune where as Autotechnique will charge 450, have ppl have good responses with APS? Leaning towards them?

James88
27-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys, suppose to be
- Aps said around 280rwkw
Autotechnique said between 240 to 260

Aps also said in the future if l need a exhaust and a retune they would NOT charge again for retune where as Autotechnique will charge 450, have ppl have good responses with APS? Leaning towards them?

All Aps's website links seem to go no where. http://apsservicecentre.com.au/
Their Website does not seem to have a very good first impression.

I have had Autotechnique's OTR and tune for a while now and love it.

R8133
27-11-2012, 07:37 PM
How much did you get with the OTR and tune? Yours a 6.2?

LS3 050
27-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Aps also said in the future if l need a exhaust and a retune they would NOT charge again for retune where as Autotechnique will charge 450,

Hmmm, are you sure that is right in regard to Autotechnique charging you $450 for a retune??? I have had my car tuned there 3 times over the years when doing extra mods, and this has not been the case.

R8133
27-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Definitely mate, spoke to them over the phone today and it's $450 for a retune when l add another performance part.

R8133
27-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Has anyone on here had their LS3 tuned by HPF in Dandenong?

HSV085
28-11-2012, 12:27 AM
My e3 is tune and maintained by aps, cant speak highly enough of them. If you already have a tune done by them you wont get charged again if you get other work done, mine is full zorst aps intake and maf tune and is a manual and it makes 296rwkw.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

R8133
28-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Mate that is unreal! Hope l do make the right decision by choosing Aps over Autotechnique just my past experiences haven't been great with my old cars with different work shops!! This time around should be God blessing!

hotrodtwo
28-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Elite Aoutomotive are suppose to be the guns in Brisbane.They are in Archerfield.I have only heard good reports. http://www.eliteauto.com.au
I have no affiliation with them nor do I get any fovours from them.

R8133
28-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm from VIctoria.

R8133
12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Anyone else share any info as which workshop to go too?
Cheers

07GTS
13-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Anyone else share any info as which workshop to go too?
Cheerscountry vic or city..? i know a country tuner if ur in the north central area...

R8133
14-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Just spoke to APS and they recommend going 1 7/8 headers with twin 2.5 exhaust over twin 3 inch exhaust. What do you guys reckon?

R8133
14-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Okay now I'm confused, got off the phone fron LSX garage and the recommend the 3 inch exhaust over 2.5 inch exhaust with what APS recommended? LSX garage also recommend 200cell cats over 100 cell cats?
What are your thought people's?

Have peoples had good experiences with LSX garage in Hallam?
Cheers

R8133
15-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone?

Sniper
15-12-2012, 04:59 PM
If you want you car to be a little harsh & noisy and make a little less torque low down - go the 3 . . . if you want your car to be nice & quick off the line under normal driving conitions . . . go the 2.5 . . . 1 7/8 in pipes need plenty of cylinder pressure to deliver a performance result . . . so for me 1 3/4 is plenty . . . and on a stocker LS2/3 . . . 1 5/8 will do the job

If your chasing a Dyno number and bragging rights at the bar - go big and you may get it by a couple of HP . . . but if you want to go fast from 1200 rpm to 4000 rpm . . . use some descretion

Look around other threads and the info is all here on the forum . . . I think the reason nobody is replying to your question is that this topic has been done to death many times in the past

rodders188
15-12-2012, 06:45 PM
How does your car feel at the moment with stock system? Crisp? going 7/8 headers if i read correctly on the pacemaker website are for supercharged engines. Personally from experience the 3/4 give a solid punch in the mid range to top end but down low are are sluggish off the line untill you really hit the high revs. If you dont plan on a cam , maybe go 1 5/8 with a twin 2.5'' system for best all round driving. there are many for bigger and other for real world driving conditions, not every one drags there cars and the way traffic lights and traffic congestion are these days in the cities you cant get out of 2nd gear...