PDA

View Full Version : VE series one clubsport or gts??

Palmer
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
hi guys

Im new to the forum and thought i would join up because im looking at getting my first hsv in the next month or so.

Im looking at getting a series 1 ve clubsport or gts and i have $40,000 to spend on one. I come from an import back ground and currently own a heavily modified Nissan Skyline( dont hold That against me:D) but since having my first child i am looking at getting a more family oriantated performance car.

My questions are

1: Is there any known faults in the series one that i should look out for??
2: Can any of the owners or previous owners give me there opinions and experiance with the series one?
3: should i get the clubsport r8 or gts and what are the main differences??
4: in whats series did the ls3 come out in and is it much better than the ls2??
5:How much should i be looking at paying for the clubsport and gts now ther around 4 to 5 years old??

Thanks for the imput in advance

sv6000_024
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
mate i just bought a series 1 clubby and paid $30000, and im happy as with it.

IanR8
02-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Mate,

I have a 07 S1 Clubsport which I have had since new and I have not have an issue with it, although I only have 20,000kms on it to date.

If you can find a Clubsport with leather the only difference between the Clubby and the GTS is the MRC Suspension, and the additional 20” wheels, apart from that the engine and brakes are the same. Is the MRC and wheels worth the extra, I think not. If the car is getting on you may have the replace the MRC shocks and I’ve heard they are not cheap.

Cost wise, clubbies are in the high 30's too low 40's and the GTS is mid to high 40's

Good luck

gerry9029
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I've got a series one clubsport and it's a great car. I've heard they have a couple of warranty issues, I haven't had a problem with mine but like IanR8 mine also has low km.

The ls3 came in mid 2008, I doubt you would get one in good condition for 40k. I've never driven one so couldn't say if there's much of a difference but just putting an otr on the ls2 will make up the difference in kw.

07GTS
04-09-2011, 11:51 AM
yea i have the gts and am totaly lovin it, i got the gts because basicly i have always wanted one, and as said above the gts has the good leather/swade seats, the 20'' wheels and mrc all standard but the rest is the same as the clubsport, i picked mine up at the start of this yea with only 13k on the clock and im just at the 20k now and havnt had any problems but its still young, if u pick up a good r8 with leather you will be more than happy and i dout u would miss not having mrc supension, it is good but i have coilovers now and do not miss it at all myself, and yes mrc costs alot to replace if u get a leak...

Mzsammi
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
he i have the series one clubby mine just clicked to 90,000k's, manual. i am very happy with mine, most common fault is the indicators there is a wiring fault but it is easily fixed, depending if u buy it from a dealer or not it can be fixed. mine does not have leather. i came out of a AH astra turbo sri with heated leather seats. im kind of glad i dont have the leather as there is no heating in them and im a big sook. but for around 3k send it to walkinshaw and you can have leather put in :). i searched for a series one gts i have to say i was fairly disapointed i found although some had low k's they looked worse for wear, they may look shiney and nice in photos but in person they had worn interiors, they drove likme theyd done bathurst and never been serviced, i think i found 2 i considered but i wont buy a car i cant test drive, and if they wont negoiate to some degree they can kiss a sale goodbye. i also refused to own a red or black car. for personal reasons 1 being i live on a dirt road and black gave me headaches beyond beleif with my astra. i settled on my clubby and am happy. i saved money on the car itself and the insurance :). i have had my clubby for a few months now i still forget that i actually own it, and i always get compliments on it :) you wont be sorry with whatever way u go.

Palmer
06-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys i think i will try and get a decent r8 as i want to lower it or put coilovers aventually in the car and im not to fussed about leather seats. i am leaning towards a white or silver one with under 50,000km. How many mods will i have to do to the clubbie to be pushing 300rwkw???

IanR8
06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys i think i will try and get a decent r8 as i want to lower it or put coilovers aventually in the car and im not to fussed about leather seats. i am leaning towards a white or silver one with under 50,000km. How many mods will i have to do to the clubbie to be pushing 300rwkw???

Apart from the normal OTR, Exhaust and Tune which will give you between 260 to 270rwkw, to make 300rwkw you will either have to put in a Cam or Supercharger it.

07GTS
06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
i think with a full exhaust and cai+ tune u can get round the 260-270rwkw, but for the 300rwkw u will prob need to do a cam or simular aswell, if ur going to spend $40k u should be able to get a very nice ride and yea the white is nice in the ve's i reckon...

07GTS
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Apart from the normal OTR, Exhaust and Tune which will give you between 260 to 270rwkw, to make 300rwkw you will either have to put in a Cam or Supercharger it.

ha ha same response and i was going to say supercharger too :D

PJDM1980
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Mate,

I have a 07 S1 Clubsport which I have had since new and I have not have an issue with it, although I only have 20,000kms on it to date.

I've done 70,000 in this year alone on my '06 GTS and it has 170,000 all up no drama's yet. It's got the red and black interior which i think looks a million dollars.

whiteman69
14-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi all,
Rather than start another thread on the same topic i thought i would ask a couple of questions in this one.
After the recent death of my VZ clubbie i am in the same boat as the original poster in that i too am looking to upgrade to a VE. I already knew about the 08 upgrade to the LS3 but is there any other differences between say a 06 and a 08 in interior or exterior. As posted earlier a clubbie with leather is nice but i think the rear seats are still a bit different to the GTS are they not?
Now what about auto V manual? I test drove a low Ks 06 GTS auto the other day and i must say i was not to impessed with the auto(my clubbie was manual). Is there much of a difference if i was to use sports mode or manual change the auto?
Another thing ive noticed is the massive price differences for basicly the same cars. ie. someone asking $47,000 for a 06 clubbie then another similar 08 for $39,000. Same with the GTS. I missed a cracker last week ,LS3 upgrade, sunroof,Red leather, sat nav, 60000 Ks advertised for $42,500.
Thanks in advance for any info.

07GTS
14-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Hi all,
Rather than start another thread on the same topic i thought i would ask a couple of questions in this one.
After the recent death of my VZ clubbie i am in the same boat as the original poster in that i too am looking to upgrade to a VE. I already knew about the 08 upgrade to the LS3 but is there any other differences between say a 06 and a 08 in interior or exterior. As posted earlier a clubbie with leather is nice but i think the rear seats are still a bit different to the GTS are they not?
Now what about auto V manual? I test drove a low Ks 06 GTS auto the other day and i must say i was not to impessed with the auto(my clubbie was manual). Is there much of a difference if i was to use sports mode or manual change the auto?
Another thing ive noticed is the massive price differences for basicly the same cars. ie. someone asking $47,000 for a 06 clubbie then another similar 08 for $39,000. Same with the GTS. I missed a cracker last week ,LS3 upgrade, sunroof,Red leather, sat nav, 60000 Ks advertised for $42,500.
Thanks in advance for any info.

yea i think seats are simular just the layout/style of the gts seats are different, just had a look on the hsv wedsite and the gts has 'performance leather' and the clubsport has 'sports cloth/leather' as far as i know the exterior is the same 06-08 maby just the placement of the 'clubsport' badge on the sides are slightly different, hmmm auto or manual... manual has the 3.7 diff, auto has the 3.27, i had autos my hole life but i couldnt buy a performance car in auto so i got a manual and love it, u can tune the autos to shift firmer and to suit ur driving style, aah sounds nice i would have loved a sunroof in mine but i just couldnt pass up a gts with such low k's when i got it, i kept an eye on the market for just over 6 months before i found what i wanted, hope some of this helps and good luck :D

SHADO
21-11-2011, 01:56 PM
In my opinion the red leather that comes in some of the GTS's is a show stopper, really makes the car stand out when next to a normal clubby/gts, so besides the MRC and the rims, the red leather was probably the main reason i wanted the GTS

Palmer
26-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the replys i have been looking around for the past few months and i have not found one that had everything i was after.

Due to a recent news (another baby on the way) I have decided not to go into debt and get a ve series clubsport and instead save for a house deposit.

I still want to get into a clubsport but am now looking for a VR/VS series as i have always loved there style and shape. My budget is from 6 to 8 thousand what can i expect to Buy for that kind of money?

I have found a couple on car sales in s.a. for around the $8000 mark that look like they are in good condition but as i live in nsw i can't go and see them personally. If any owners of these models of clubsport can give me any info on what to look out for and mabey what they paid for theirs and there condition it will be much appreciated.

Thanks again

LS3 050
26-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi mate, if these cars are in Adelaide, Daniel (sv90) may be able to check them out for you. Shoot him a pm with more info.