PDA

View Full Version : Opening Remote Ignition Key.

Listy
13-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I've seen people asking about opening an electronic car key (car key remote). The key not sitting in the housing properly and I need to take it apart to make sure it's all square before I put it back together. It looks like the plastic piece with the key release button comes off first. I'm sure there is a little release trick to it, as i don't want to force the wrong piece and break the plastic. I'm ofay with other keys just not this one. Prefer to ask than just start ripping away at it. Ask twice cut once. If anyone knows it would be helpful. Three black buttons one side one red the other.
Thanks.

Andrew_02
13-08-2011, 09:15 PM
I've seen people asking about opening an electronic car key (car key remote). The key not sitting in the housing properly and I need to take it apart to make sure it's all square before I put it back together. It looks like the plastic piece with the key release button comes off first. I'm sure there is a little release trick to it, as i don't want to force the wrong piece and break the plastic. I'm ofay with other keys just not this one. Prefer to ask than just start ripping away at it. Ask twice cut once. If anyone knows it would be helpful. Three black buttons one side one red the other.
Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum, if you have a new or newish holden/hsv and a key problem, use the spare and take the problem key back to the dealer a flip key costs $250 once you touch it unless it is an emergency issue, it will not be covered.

Listy
13-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi, thanks. I just wrapped it in electrical tape so it doesn't get anymore out of shape. I use to change the batteries on my other Holden smart key and it wasn't an issue. No reprogramming the key or any other problem. Done a few services on my previous keys but this maybe different. I don't even want to take the batteries out this time. I just want to clip it back together properly. Keys not sitting properly in the head. Squashes together but wont stay there. My son used the key as a paint can opener. Not to blame him because he's been watching me do it with my VY key for years. The VY key was so many other tools but this one is clearly just a key.

Stewiecasserole
13-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Just had both of mine replaced under warranty. Dropped the usual one and it started getting stuck opening and closing.

Listy
13-08-2011, 11:42 PM
They are under warranty, but I'm not sure if you could call it normal wear and tear.