PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust pipe size

v8cars
08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I'am thinking about building a custom exhaust for my maloo.

What size exhaust pipe is used on a standard LS3 Maloo:confused:

I'am looking at taking out the center section from behind the oxygen thingy back and using straight pipe and custom rear mufflers.

All i want to do is improve the sound, i dont care about power as its only my daily drive.

Is there a crossover pipe on the standard system... Is it that center muffler:confused:

I dont like crossover pipes... i dont run them on any of my other V8's

So i want to do away with it...... it wont effect the ecu or oxygen thingy will it.:confused:

And before anyone says it i know the reasons for having crossovers blah blah blah :p

Like i said all i want is the sound not performance... i can drive my XY or my XB coupe or my valiant charger when i want performance.:D

Cheers Damian.:cool:

SHADO
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I believe the standard size is 2.25 inch.

I reckon the main contributor to sound will be changing the rear mufflers, but larger pipe diameter also loudens it up i believe...

OHSVGTS
11-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey mate!!

I have a VE GTS and I just recently put a full twin 3 inch WP system on it with high flow cats and WP 3 inch extractors.

Sounds amazing. I could not be happier. Its got a really nice crisp sound (doesnt seem to drone out). It is quiet loud though so Im not sure whether you would want the pipes that big being a daily?

Give Power Torque a call @ Brendale, speak with Shaun he will give you some great advice :)

J8NE5Y
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I also have the full WP dual 3inch system on my E3 maloo. From in the drivers seat its loud but not excessive, from behind the car its crazy! My mates have commented on the crackle and pop and typical V8 noises it makes. I love it. Highly recommend the guys at Power Torque/Walkinshaw Performance Brendale.

stampy
12-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I've just put a 3" Catback X-Force on my LS3 and are very pleased with the fitment and sound, not as much drone as I thought there would be.

SHADO
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I've just put a 3" Catback X-Force on my LS3 and are very pleased with the fitment and sound, not as much drone as I thought there would be.

Agree here, if you choose to go x-force dont listen to all the people that go on about drone, it barely exists with the 3" x force.
I just recently got one on my LS2 with a set of headers, exhaust sounds great, not loud in car, but from outside i've been told people can feel me coming before they hear it...

rodders188
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Another option is the pacemaker catback, havent heard one , but they have really good quality looking mufflers.
Hitech exhausts ive been told, have quality mufflers as well, although xforce make a quaility system for a great price, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

v8cars
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info.

I had the walkinshaw 3inch system and headers on my 09 GTS and it sounded like poo.:o

It was ok to start with but when it built up with carbon it just sounded like rubbish.

I dont like these pre made brand named exhaust systems...i've heard them all and most of them the sound is fake or just sound like a rice burner.

Most of them are made to make a so called V8 supercar sound and i dont like the V8 supercars of today.:mad:

And there made "not to drone" which i find is a joke... all engines drone if you hold them at certain revs.:-P

Also i dont like stainless steel it has a tinny noise to it.... give me mild steel any day.:D

None of the pre made systems have that REAL V8 sound that i'm after.

So i want to get a custom system made up.

Does anyone know any good exhaust place in Perth SOR that can do custom work.:confused:

Thanks again.:cool:

rodders188
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info.

I had the walkinshaw 3inch system and headers on my 09 GTS and it sounded like poo.:o

It was ok to start with but when it built up with carbon it just sounded like rubbish.

I dont like these pre made brand named exhaust systems...i've heard them all and most of them the sound is fake or just sound like a rice burner.

Most of them are made to make a so called V8 supercar sound and i dont like the V8 supercars of today.:mad:

And there made "not to drone" which i find is a joke... all engines drone if you hold them at certain revs.:-P

Also i dont like stainless steel it has a tinny noise to it.... give me mild steel any day.:D

None of the pre made systems have that REAL V8 sound that i'm after.

So i want to get a custom system made up.

Does anyone know any good exhaust place in Perth SOR that can do custom work.:confused:

Thanks again.:cool:

Good luck with a custom system, you might get a V8 sound like no other and a drone free system hopefully, that doesnt sound like a ricer,

sikhsv
15-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I put the 3 inch xforce system on my 2010 maloo then a month later i ripped it out and put in pacemaker extracters and a custom exhaust. it now sounds heaps better than the xforce. but i also have the biggest cam possible that can fit in so not sure if thats why it sounds alot better now

Kev5757
10-10-2011, 12:17 AM
hey all i have an 08 gts i put a 3inch wilkinshaw piece of crap on it,the quad tip with the single outlet is a joke.i have recently put a full 3inch Di Filippo exhaust system on sounds fantastic.

AdrianVEE2
14-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Gday mate!
I have 1 7/8 pacies into a unresonated (straight pipes) 2.5 inch cat back (hi tech mufflers) and these guys make their exhaust systems in bathurst haha
its louder thean most then loud 3 inch exhausts ( i have big cam and supercharger!) but even on a stock LS3 with OTR it sounds nuts
i can post a sound vid if u like