PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure on 6lt VE Maloo when cold

Rambaugh
13-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I have had this problem on my Maloo for a couple of months. When I start it the pressure gauge is around 3000kpa then when I take off (giving it a little bit 3000rpm) the gauge goes off the dial past 5000kpa. I can only start to really push it when its at around 110 degrees after about 25 minutes. This hasnt always been the case. It was ran on E10 for a week and I found a few weeks later I started having this problem. Im now back to 95/98. The "professionals" at the local HSV dealer says its standard for them, considering I havnt always had the problem I dis-believe this. I have even had the oil changed and no luck. There is a slight loss of power at 5000kpa and although I know not to push it when its cold I do believe these cars can be driven like a V8 but shorely not only after half an-hour. Has anybody experienced this? Thanks

AdrianVEE2
13-07-2011, 01:06 AM
What kind of oil are you using
Mine starts up an the pressure gauge is a 4300kpa !
But I have changed the internals so thats quite weird that you are getting over 5000 kpa at 3600 rpm
Service it maybe or thicker oil ?
Adrian

Rambaugh
13-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks man for the quick response. Im not sure the oil, its one that Suttons Holden in Sydney use so Id say it was the right one. Then I got it serviced last week too and it has fixed the problem. Wow yours starts at 4300? I guess there all different.

Bigdog1971
13-07-2011, 07:03 AM
In the cold temperatures that Sydney is experiencing now, you should expect your oil pressure to be higher on start. Cold oil is obviously thicker and therefore the pressure will be higher before it warms up.
When the outside temp warms up, (mid afternoon) try a start then see if its any different. But make sure the engine is cold again.

07GTS
13-07-2011, 08:42 PM
sounds pretty normal to me, i dont give mine many revs when its cold but i do see the oil gauge wanting to go up high until the oil warms up, so when its cold with revs it will have alot of pressure, had this thread earlier too http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=7372&highlight=pressurehere,