PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox noise normal?

johnny5x
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I have an 09 clubby and ive noticed that the manual gearbox has a grinding noise through gears 2,3,4. Its quite faint but noticeable and only when the car has been driven and warmed up for a while. Mine has the M10 transmission in it with 37,000 kms.

Someone told me that it could be the main shaft bearing. Is this normal amongst these cars? It seems for the better word quite an agricultural box.

I test drove another clubby before i bought this car at a dealer and its gearbox was very loud. It sounded sh*t house which is why i didnt buy it. It was louder then the engine!

It doesnt bother me so much but just wondering if others get the same thing.

gerry9029
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Don't have a problem like that in mine mate. Maybe take it in to the dealer, could get it fixed under warranty......

macca33
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I'd be checking with a reputable Lxx mechanic / workshop first, to see whether there is an issue and have that person write you a letter if there is. Once armed with said letter (if applicable) go and see your HSV dealer and get the issue sorted.

Also, consider getting some Penrite MGO70 put in the gearbox - it is great stuff and really quietens them down, as well as improving shift quality.

cheers

johnny5x
20-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Fair enough. Well i brought the issue up with HSV but they said they couldnt hear anything on the test drive.

Something just doesnt seem right though. I find im having to baby the gear changes to prevent the transmission from feeling like it is clunking backwards and forward, particularly in lower gears.

I notice it more downshifting, if i go from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd and dont release the clutch out really slow (and i mean really slow) the transmission or input shaft or something feels like it may be loose and you get a clunking noise backwards and forwards. It is very noticeable. And this occurs at low revs and high revs so its not like i am punishing the box or anything.

I shouldnt have to baby the gearbox like this. Its starting to become annoying and i have other manual vehicles that dont do this at all nor have i experienced this before with any car. Either this is a common problem, or not a problem at all, and others are just used to it but considering this is not a cheap vehicle by any standards i would expect it to be smooth as. If this is just how they are im going to be very hard pressed to be buying another one on my next purchase

Next time you take yours for a drive, try it out and see if you get the same clunking noise as mine and post your results

07GTS
20-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Fair enough. Well i brought the issue up with HSV but they said they couldnt hear anything on the test drive.

Something just doesnt seem right though. I find im having to baby the gear changes to prevent the transmission from feeling like it is clunking backwards and forward, particularly in lower gears.

I notice it more downshifting, if i go from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd and dont release the clutch out really slow (and i mean really slow) the transmission or input shaft or something feels like it may be loose and you get a clunking noise backwards and forwards. It is very noticeable. And this occurs at low revs and high revs so its not like i am punishing the box or anything.

I shouldnt have to baby the gearbox like this. Its starting to become annoying and i have other manual vehicles that dont do this at all nor have i experienced this before with any car. Either this is a common problem, or not a problem at all, and others are just used to it but considering this is not a cheap vehicle by any standards i would expect it to be smooth as. If this is just how they are im going to be very hard pressed to be buying another one on my next purchase

Next time you take yours for a drive, try it out and see if you get the same clunking noise as mine and post your results

i noticed this clunking noise u talk of in mine aswell only when downshifting from 3rd-2nd not under much load, this is my first manual so i just thought it was just a normal noise, mine dosnt do it all the time and i can drive around without causing the noise aswell, the only thing i could think that it was is when u start slowing down with ur brakes and then use the gears a little to slow down too the driveline is at a different speed to the car so it has a spot where the slack in the diff, unies, g-box etc goes from loaded acceleration to loaded deceleration and causes the noise, if i give it a light rev when changing down it usually wont make the noise, hope that makes sense and maby helps...

johnny5x
20-07-2011, 11:07 PM
07GTS exactly mate. Im glad im not the only one. Tomorrow i will try to give it a quick rev down shifting see how that plays out. Just seems odd to me thats all. Still doesnt explain the slight rattling grinding noise when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd mainly.

ESERI3S
31-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah I always do the heal toe match revs on down change whether driving hard or just day to day driving, it puts less stress on the engine and driveline, plus it makes it sound more like a race car!!! haha

PEJ60L
05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a 07 r8 , had a noisy chatter on idle and sticky shifts, changed the oil to penrite mgo70 and noise is totally gone and shifts are so smooth now.