PDA

View Full Version : holden/hsv paint

delpiero
24-06-2011, 01:08 AM
has anyone noticed how thin the paint is on these cars? i mean it all looks pretty promising until you get a stone chip and realise the paint is about as thick as a sticker and offers about as much durability as one..... not that theres anything we can do about it....

Krew-Zing
24-06-2011, 08:36 AM
totally agree with a black car..very noticable..but just another problem to show how far behind they are in a supposly upper market car..

delpiero
24-06-2011, 12:43 PM
yeh like i got no idea why its so thin? like is it to save weight LOL!

Senator01
24-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Blame Holden - not HSV. I am sure there is a Standard by which they are to paint a car and as long as they meet that then ......... my guess is one pass base and one pass clear in the factory.

delpiero
24-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Look it's just not up to scratch! They got a lot of things right but man they need to focus on their finishing! Front bars sagging, thin paint etc etc. I love the car though, regardless of it's faults!

Senator01
24-06-2011, 07:16 PM
.... I love the car though, regardless of it's faults!

Answered it in one.....I bet you the majority of other cars are similar in quality, but one thing you have that they don't........ is a super huge HSV badge ... smile big :D:D:D:D:D:D

Andrew_02
30-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Found this old thread about paint.
I don't think it is holden's paint ive had a few new holdens and once a year do long highway runs behind trucks getting peppered with small stone at times. Fact the HSV bumpers have paint that is either too thin or missing coats (prep or top coat) what are other HSV drivers doing about stone chips? 30 mostly very small on one 600km trip is about 20 years worth on a Holden painted bumper. Could this be due to the HSV parts being made of fibre glass, and should i leave it until it looks a mess and just get it resprayed with a couple of goods layers of black paint. overall im not hearing long term good feedback from any form of cover. cheers

Simonk
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the HSV bumpers are plastic, not fibreglass. As for the chips, I'm just waiting for it to get ba enough to respray. I so about 10,000kms a year on hwys and haven't really found it a problem though.

The paint thickness is crap though. You only have to look at the black paint and it scratches through to the primer. The paint on my wife's navy blue 2000 model BMW is still mint and she treats her car like sh1t.

muzzbib
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
how much would a full respray cost anyway?

like the rest of you guys who own black cars, it's such a pain, just about everything is noticeable

Aussie_DevilSV6
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
what i did was get the car covered in 'stone guard' its the clear plastic stuff, works a treat, costs a bit but means you never have to worry about the paint, stone chips or scratches ever again. when you think about how much you spend in polishing and clean products along with resprays over the years its worth while, if u are going to have a car long term. http://www.completesurfacesystems.com.au/

Andrew_02
02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the HSV bumpers are plastic, not fibreglass. As for the chips, I'm just waiting for it to get ba enough to respray. I so about 10,000kms a year on hwys and haven't really found it a problem though.

The paint thickness is crap though. You only have to look at the black paint and it scratches through to the primer. The paint on my wife's navy blue 2000 model BMW is still mint and she treats her car like sh1t.
Hi Simonk
two reasons i think they are fibreglass first i had two wm caprice black then white both when chiped showed what looked like black plastic. my e3 black shows all 30 small chips after one highway drive that are all white.
second reason i had holden fit a tow bar there are no pre cut marks should be but not there 2011 model grange not made for a towbar with gas its imposible anyway it was fibreglass and was very hard and messy to cut so much so holden had to spray the grey lower piece due to the fibre glass mess/splinters
maybe its a numbers game the e3 grange sells 130 a year cheaper with fibreglass molds?;-)

veute
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
If is fibreglass its non genuine, HSV has not used glass on any model since before VT.