PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on Paint Work

VZ2MALOOR8
11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
hey all!

i have a few little scratches in various spots over my Maloo
some of them just look like there only in the clear coat but some are into the paint work.

what would you recommend to get these out?

Ive heard rubbing compound is good but if applied to long it can damage paint work.

also i have stone chips that are done to the metal.

any help would be greatly appreciated???

Cheers

Audi
11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't think you can remove them just hide them. Use a clay bar then tech 2.0 wax and see how it comes up. If they are bad you should maybe use a very fine cut on the scratches first. But I really try to avoid this stuff.

GR8T
11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
hey all!

some of them just look like there only in the clear coat but some are into the paint work.

Ive heard rubbing compound is good but if applied to long it can damage paint work.

Cheers
Take it to your preferred panel shop for some pro advice !

VZ2MALOOR8
11-06-2011, 07:23 PM
yer my current polish hides them good but after a few days of dirt getting on the car they can been seen again :(
and yer the cut/ rubbing compound would be my last option.

and i dont really have a preferred place as Ive never had body work done before.
had one accident in me last car but RAC took care of the whole thing.

i was just looking around and Turtle Wax have this scratch remover polish stuff that come with a chip stick that's meant to fill in the scratch/chip then polish over it to blend it in.

might give that one ago

cheers guys!

GJ227
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
i like the meguiars scratch ex then the tech wax 2.0 give that a bash see how you go.

GJ227

Senator01
11-06-2011, 08:57 PM
hey all!

Cheers

Where are you located??

Audi
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
He's in Rockingham W.A

Senator01
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
he's in w.a

Thanks Audi, was wondering as I have noticed a few eastern and vic guys on the Random Orbital polisher thread. Thought they may be able to meet up and give that a go...

hektikhsv
12-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Like a few of the boys were saying Meguiars Scratch X is great stuff. Hit the car with the clay bar then scratch x and use a good quality glaze to finish her off... As for stone chips theres not much you can do about them but a trick we used to use in the panel shop was to touch up the stone chip as best as possible to get colour coverage over the metal and then slightly fill the chip with 2 pack clear that has hardener in it, let it dry and then lightly block it back with 2000 grit micro fine wet and dry paper then compound polish it back to gloss... If your unsure about it or have doubts as to how much paint you have to work with then don't try this as you can make a real mess of it... Good luck with it mate.

VZ2MALOOR8
12-06-2011, 09:48 PM
cheers for the advice guys

just an update i bought the turtle wax colour cure withe the chit stick.
all i can say is it does NOT do what it says it does
the polish is ok tho

next weekend i will go buy the Meguiars Scratch X, a clay bar and tech 2.0 wax (this wax is bloody expensive i must say)

just wondering is the tech two wax a liquid wax or a paste?

VZ2MALOOR8
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
just answered my own question. lol

so now my question is which is more effective?

Audi
12-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Silly you u just went got that turtle poo. Who sugested that stuff?
Tech 2.0 is a liquid wax/polish.

VZ2MALOOR8
13-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Silly you u just went got that turtle poo. Who sugested that stuff?
Tech 2.0 is a liquid wax/polish.

Yer I know I regret buying it now.
I bought it before I read these replies.

I do use the turtle wax ice liquid wax and that is great stuff. Car feels like glass after. So smooth.

But will but the other stuff this weekend for sure

Can never have enough cleaning products :)

Simonk
13-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I see the tech 2 wax comes in a paste or liquid. Has anyone got an opinion as to which one is better or easier to use? Are they applied differently?

Simonk
13-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Also, will the tech 2 remove the hologram looking marks caused by the clay bar?

Senator01
13-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Have been spending the last few days using Scratch X and Tech Wax 2.0 in paste form. Have used Meguiars for years and years with exceptional results.

If you are doing this by hand then if I could suggest geting a decent open weave cloth and folding within itself to form a very firm ball pad that fits nicely in the palm of your hand. This works a treat and gives you a more firm and controlled application. ... if you have a RO polisher then that is even better..

GJ227
13-06-2011, 10:44 PM
i like the liquid wax becuase in between polishes you can use the liquid with some windex sprayed over as a quick detail and the more cots the harder it gets.

GJ227

MR323
14-06-2011, 12:40 AM
My method of polishing, buff the whole car with 3M Compound Rub polish with hard waffle buff pad which is white in colour (gets rid of 95% of scratches some scratches may need a bit of a wet rub)

Next buff the car again with Meguiars finishing polish with a very soft waffle pad which is dark grey in colour

Next seal the paint with a good quality paint sealant and then wax it with Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 in paste form.

Check out my car in the my ride section, I have done all the above but no wax as of yet did get time to do it but it look like a show car :D
http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=7930

Please note if you do not know how to use a buffer, DO NO TRY ON YOUR CAR, YOU WILL BURN THE PAINT, if you do make sure you set aside aleast two days :)

VZ2MALOOR8
14-06-2011, 07:35 AM
My method of polishing, buff the whole car with 3M Compound Rub polish with hard waffle buff pad which is white in colour (gets rid of 95% of scratches some scratches may need a bit of a wet rub)

Next buff the car again with Meguiars finishing polish with a very soft waffle pad which is dark grey in colour

Next seal the paint with a good quality paint sealant and then wax it with Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 in paste form.

Check out my car in the my ride section, I have done all the above but no wax as of yet did get time to do it but it look like a show car :D
http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=7930

Please note if you do not know how to use a buffer, DO NO TRY ON YOUR CAR, YOU WILL BURN THE PAINT, if you do make sure you set aside aleast two days :)

That looks extremely good mate.
Paint work looks as good if not better then new!

But yer I dont have a spare two days ATM.
Might have to take some time of work and give that ago ;)

delpiero
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
id probably go for the meguiars ultimate compound rather than the scratch X....autoglym hi def wax fills in scratches very well too!

Simonk
18-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I've found Mothers Scratch Remover works a little bit better than Meguiars Scratch X. The Meguiars is still a great product though. My wife had a car park boom gate come down on the boot of her car. The Mothers worked a treat and got rid of most of the scratches.

VZ2MALOOR8
18-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I've found Mothers Scratch Remover works a little bit better than Meguiars Scratch X. The Meguiars is still a great product though. My wife had a car park boom gate come down on the boot of her car. The Mothers worked a treat and got rid of most of the scratches.

Will have to give that one a try when I get it back from the panel beaters :(