PDA

View Full Version : Service Intervals

Simonk
02-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I can't say I'd ever opened the manual for my VE until I recently got a 75,000km service reminder. Every car I've ever owned has suggested a 10,000km service interval so I was surprised to see 75,000km pop up. So checking the manual I see it suggests servicing every 15,000kms. So my VZ with the exact same engine suggests 10,000kms but the VE suggests 15,000kms. I then read further to see that because my HSV is a high performance car, it needs to be brought in every 7,500kms just to make sure nothing has buggered up since the last service. Being a bit cynical about the whole thing, I closed the book and put it back in the glove box and decided to stick with 10,000km intervals.

So I was wondering what you guys are all doing. Are you really sending your cars to the mechanic every 7,500kms? Are you only changing your oil and filters every 15,000kms?

SHADO
02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Im also interested in this, as most cars i've owned i've serviced every 5,000kms or 4 months.

Why is it that these cars can hold out 15,000kms between oil changes?

Silver Spur
02-06-2011, 01:54 PM
That's easy!

VE's have bigger sumps to allow for more oil. The more oil allows greater time between services as the engine has more oil to pick up before the oil starts to go bad.

Change it every 7,500km's just to be safe.

LS3 050
02-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I then read further to see that because my HSV is a high performance car, it needs to be brought in every 7,500kms just to make sure nothing has buggered up since the last service. Being a bit cynical about the whole thing, I closed the book and put it back in the glove box and decided to stick with 10,000km intervals.

So I was wondering what you guys are all doing. Are you really sending your cars to the mechanic every 7,500kms? Are you only changing your oil and filters every 15,000kms?

I think you will find that the "standard service procedures" are recommended every 15,000km, but the recommendation is to change the oil every 7,500km.

220isenator
02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I would think it also has something to do with the fact that synthetic oils used now have a longer lifespan.

All our cars 04 Camry, 98 Senator, 08 Passat and 98 Mirage have a standard service time of 15k but a recommendation for every 7.5k. The only car we have that is more regularly serviced is a diesel Land Cruiser. This has 10k standard and 5k recommended.

In saying this I still do at least an oil/filter change every 7k.

MR323
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
My VX R8 gets done every 5,000 :D ; the VE wagon gets done every 10,000. I personally donít feel comfortable leaving the VE till 15,000 :)

07GTS
02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
was gonna say the same as SILVER SPUR they have more oil in the sump and better made now days, my bosses vito van is like 30,000km intervels, i still think ill do my gts every 7,500 tho cant hurt...

Andrew_02
02-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Interesting and very important point, the oil Coy will say their oil will last longer than you want to leave it in your engine. The filter should be changed as per the manual, the oil in a new engine: most of the wear-in / rough edges worn off in the first few 1000kms I usually get the oil changed on the first service, 3000km then go by the book, Im new to a HSV engine and drive around town a lot i.e often lucky to warm the engine up before its turned off for the day, so i check the oil colour on the dip stick once it starts turning black and usually smells time to change it. im not sure about 60-80k engines
never buy cheap oil filters

waynegto2002
02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I have mine done every 6000k, for the cost of the oil and filter its got to be peace of mind.....I would normally do it myself but I don't have a hoist or pit and the car is to low so unfortunately I take it to the dealer

07GTS
03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
also these cars have the 'engineering mode' if u go in there it has a percentage of oil life and depending on the hours driven and how u drive it stuff like that it calculates the life of the oil... to get to engineering mode u push in the left hand side scroll button on the steering wheel whilst u turn the ignition on, theres a heap of other stuff in there too, also if u want to reset the oil to 100% just scroll so its on the oil percentage and push the throttle to full and off 3 times...

VZ2MALOOR8
03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
also these cars have the 'engineering mode' if u go in there it has a percentage of oil life and depending on the hours driven and how u drive it stuff like that it calculates the life of the oil... to get to engineering mode u push in the left hand side scroll button on the steering wheel whilst u turn the ignition on, theres a heap of other stuff in there too, also if u want to reset the oil to 100% just scroll so its on the oil percentage and push the throttle to full and off 3 times...

Do the VZ HSV have the engineering mode?
And if so vow do you get to it?

Cheers

Andrew_02
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
try holding the enter scroll button down then turn the ignition on (not just to accessories) then scroll through it, if you press enter again it should clear off. similar set-up to clear the service reminder warning. on the older models (VR VS) you had to press the trip button a few times within 3 seconds.....
resetting the TPM System after a tyre rotation is F radical.

VZ2MALOOR8
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
try holding the enter scroll button down then turn the ignition on (not just to accessories) then scroll through it, if you press enter again it should clear off. similar set-up to clear the service reminder warning. on the older models (VR VS) you had to press the trip button a few times within 3 seconds.....
resetting the TPM System after a tyre rotation is F radical.

that one just brings up the menu to change things like headlight auto off times and auto lock and stuff like that.

holding the menu and set button while tunring the ignition on brings it up but the most advanced thing there is coolant temp really.

no engine oil calculation :(

oh well

cheers anyway andrew

Silver Spur
03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
What Does 0% for oil mean?

Time for a change? How long can/should you drive around for after it's hit 0%? I ask coz mines on 0% but have over 2k to go till next service!!!!!

07GTS
04-06-2011, 03:38 AM
What Does 0% for oil mean?

Time for a change? How long can/should you drive around for after it's hit 0%? I ask coz mines on 0% but have over 2k to go till next service!!!!!

yea it should be fine, it just means it needs a change but not all mechanics know about the oil percentage so they might not have reset it since new, so if its on 0% just next time u do the oil just reset it yourself to keep track...

07GTS
04-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Do the VZ HSV have the engineering mode?
And if so vow do you get to it?

Cheers

i dont think the vz had the oil percentage but they do have the other stuff in there like the ve's

VZ2MALOOR8
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
i dont think the vz had the oil percentage but they do have the other stuff in there like the ve's

Yer mate you are right they dont have the engine oil percentage