PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy brand new SS ute or Maloo

VTi_b0i
31-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey all, I'm new to buying Aussie cars, so far I've only owned Jap cars. I'm looking to buy a brand new ute through my business. I'm tossing up between the SS-V series 2, SS-V series 2 Redline, or the Maloo R8.
Realistically I'd LOVE a Maloo, but is it really worth spending the extra cash for it? It's not to be used for work other then occasionally (im a truck driver). I am getting rid of my toy aswell to save for a house so I'd like to be able to take the ute for the occasional track day for abit of fun
Thanks in advance
Christian

0757hil
31-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Pay the little extra for the R8 - if you are anything like the rest of us - you will be happy with the ssv for a little while - but then you will wish you bought the Maloo. If you try to modify the ssv to be like the maloo -- $$$ +. So buy the right one in the 1st place. Hope this helps

VTi_b0i
31-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks mate. I just really want to figure out if the Maloo is worth the extra 20 odd thousand dollars. And what it's like owning a hsv, like wear and tear costs. Anyone here got a Maloo?

TRN19R
31-05-2011, 02:13 PM
At the end of the day you need to buy within your means. That said if you can afford the Maloo, i would say you would be pretty stupid not to go with that.

SS vs Maloo R8 hmmm, no competition really. Good luck mate, wen u do get the new ride post it up on the forum.

VTi_b0i
31-05-2011, 05:23 PM
are HSV's overly expensive to maintain?

VTi_b0i
31-05-2011, 05:36 PM
my god! i just did two quotes for insurance. one for SS V Redline, $2500. Maloo was $4100! WTF
that was with JustCar as ive been with them for like 6 years. I know im only 24 but that is a rather big price difference

Rgmast
31-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I traded an SSV ute for and E1 Maloo (both were new). The Maloo is just awesome im glad I got the Maloo. Bought when the government were offering the 50% rebate. So got the SSV 1 financial year and then the Maloo the next financial year both with the 50% rebate( I have my own business).

As for service etc they will be slightly more cos they will use a better oil and also when it comes time to do your brakes they will also be more.

I have the usual mods on my Maloo, Full KPM 2.5 exhaust. Dus OTR, lowered and tune. Have 274 rwkw.

If you can afford it go the Maloo you wont regret it. Plus u get more looks in the Maloo :)

VTi_b0i
31-05-2011, 06:28 PM
thats exactly what i was looking for! someone that has owned both! haha im glad you liked the upgrade and never looked back!
i really do want the maloo, im just worried about the extra costs... insurance seems to be a decent chunk more but im guessing because its worth 20k more... times like these i wish i was 25 already! lol

Rgmast
31-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah didnt give insurance much thought cos im 35 rating 1 and live in a good suburb. $1300 a year and wasnt much more than the SSV .

Maybe consider the SSV until u are 25 if all those little things add up .

I just give em my credit card and grin

VTi_b0i
01-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Well I'm 25 in October lol so If I pay monthly, I'll pay higher rates for 4months then it'll go Down? Haha I have a maximum no claim bonus, not that, that seems to do much

VZ2MALOOR8
01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
my god! i just did two quotes for insurance. one for SS V Redline, $2500. Maloo was $4100! WTF
that was with JustCar as ive been with them for like 6 years. I know im only 24 but that is a rather big price difference

Man that is a crazy price price. I have a vz maloo insured with rac and only paying 1300. I looked into get a ve and even that was only gonna be 2500 for 55000 insured.

When I tried just car for my vz they wanted over 2gs

I reckon try a different company mate

LS3 050
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Agreed, id look around for a few different quotes. Do a search on this forum, Insurance Costs from different companies has been discussed on here before.

VTi_b0i
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Im not sure what's triggering these prices but I got similar ones from all the major companies! The qoute I end up going for tho I'll actually call them myself because this is ridiculous! Maximum no claim bonus, no accidents or license suspensions in more then 3 years. Only thi g I can think of is it being business use or where I live but I live off the street so if anyone wanted to steal it etc would have to walk up a 50m driveway uphill lol

DanV
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Sounds a bit steep to me. I 24 when I got my VE maloo and insurance was around $1900 through just cars. Also being over 25 this year made absolutely no difference to the premium still around the $1900 mark.

VZ2MALOOR8
02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Man that is a crazy price price. I have a vz maloo insured with rac and only paying 1300. I looked into get a ve and even that was only gonna be 2500 for 55000 insured.

When I tried just car for my vz they wanted over 2gs

I reckon try a different company mate

Oh and I forgot to mention before I'm only 21

Was 20 when I origanly got the issuance tho

VTi_b0i
02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Well bit of an update yesterday...
I BOUGHT A MALOO! lol I'm pretty fcuking Pumped! I hope all goes well and I can pick it up soon! Gotta find a good insurer now lol

LS3 050
02-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Good Job, Welcome to the world of HSV...you wont be disappointed :cool:

VTi_b0i
02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks mate :-) can't wait to pick her up lol I wonder how long before the mods start haha

Audi
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice work dude. You'll be stoked!! get some pics up when you pick her up asap...

VTi_b0i
05-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Lol will do mate! It seems like the longest wait ever! Haha

Aercom
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Well bit of an update yesterday...
I BOUGHT A MALOO! lol I'm pretty fcuking Pumped! I hope all goes well and I can pick it up soon! Gotta find a good insurer now lol

Need some pics!!!! On ur insurance - business use will be killing it a bit of the price- VE should be cheaper than vz since they are harder to steal and harder to smash (ESP EBD etc) sure I am late 30's - rating 1 - no business use and always garaged etc still only pay just over $800 per year for an e3 clubby through allianz

VTi_b0i
08-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow! That is cheap! I am guessing the fact I put business use is the reason it's going up so much. I havent actually bothered doing another qoute yet. I think I'll do one now

Bit of an update: called the dealer, he told me it looks like the car won't be there till NEXT Thursday :-( it's currently in the hsv factory in Victoria, so it won't be ready till atleast next Friday for me to pick it up! I'm pretty devostated! I was hoping to get it this week! That will make it two and a half weeks since I bought it

VZ2MALOOR8
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Wow! That is cheap! I am guessing the fact I put business use is the reason it's going up so much. I havent actually bothered doing another qoute yet. I think I'll do one now

Bit of an update: called the dealer, he told me it looks like the car won't be there till NEXT Thursday :-( it's currently in the hsv factory in Victoria, so it won't be ready till atleast next Friday for me to pick it up! I'm pretty devostated! I was hoping to get it this week! That will make it two and a half weeks since I bought it

man that would be so hard!

once i found my Maloo and then had to wait 2 days for finance, that was hard enough.

but it will be worth the wait, i can guarantee that one :D

VTi_b0i
18-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Picked it up yesterday guys/girls :-) I took pics but I duno how to upload to forums from my iPhone haha
I'm very very happy with it so far! Sounds very mean and looks damn aggressive! Lol I love driving it but damn it's thirsty! I have only revved to like 4k maybe 5 times, I've put 150ks on it and it's at just over half a tank left lol

timmy975
19-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Well done on the new purchase. Looking forward to some pics. Fuel consumption doesn't get any better, I've had mine for over a year and only get approx 350k's out of a tank but I'm not complaining, I drive a sweet ute as do you too:twisted:
What colour did you go?

VTi_b0i
22-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks mate! I ended up getting blue and couldn't be happier :-) I'll start a show off thread today when I get home

VZ2MALOOR8
22-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Enjoy it mate!

Now go out and flog some jap cars :)

Will make you feel even better ;)