PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a new E3 GTS

skooby
30-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Everyone

I am brand new to this forum....have been driving 4 cylinder Japanese turbos all my life...my latest current ride is an 09 wrx...I was recently in the process of upgrading my car to a 2011 Sti sedan or a BMW 135i but have now decided to turn to the dark side and buy a V8!!

After a fair bit of research, I have narrowed my choices down to either an E3 GTS, a FPV GT (the new supercharge one) or even the FPV F6 (I know this one is a V6 turbo but I read they are dam fast!!!).

Ok, this may be an HSV forum, but I really need you guys to help me pick my car as I have no history of Fords and Holdens. All I can say is I love how the new E3's look but from what I read and seen on youtube, the FPV's are faster (the F6) and more powerful (the GT)

Could you tell me what car you would get and the reasons why? Again, I know this is an HSV forum but please keep an open mind!

Anyway, the car will be used as a daily driver...I don't track my cars so handling isn't the most important thing to me..I just want something that is fast, yet comfortable.

The reason I'm asking on an HSV forum and not a Ford forum is because I already test drove the E3 on the weekend and absolutely love how it looks and drives...I got quoted $86k drive-away for a 2010 build E3 GTS (hazard yellow, manual with the upgraded 6 piston brakes and full size spare) but decided to have a week to do more research and to find more quotes on it.

I'm from Perth and this was through Shacks Holden in Fremantle..the car has to be delivered from the Eastern States so my question is, is this a good price? Or can I get a 2011 build at the same price? What prices are people getting one of these cars for? And does HSV usually have run outs sales towards the end of the financial year?

Secondly, does having a supercharge on a V8 feel alot nicer to drive? I am thinking of going to a Ford dealer today to test drive a GT and an F6...just so that I know how they feel...but just from looks alone, I don't think I could ever part with all that money for a Ford...they look horrible (sorry to all the Ford drivers out there!!!).

Lastly, does anyone know if the E3 will be around for a long time or will HSV have an E4/VF coming out soon?? I will keep this car for a long time so would hate if HSV comes out with a supercharge or turbo charged V8 in a few months time!!!

Ok, I apologise for the long thread but I'm really confused at the moment and any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Scotty :)

TheRealShifter
30-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Duh, get the HSV!

Seriously though, try them all out. See which one you prefer the feel of. This is crucial because you're not looking at the car when you're driving. As for power, the F6's will certainly give the V8's a run for their money in the straight line (and I believe it's a straight 6, not a V). As for when a new HSV will come out I have no idea. Don't forget if you want a supercharger you can always get one aftermarket.

Smithers_73
30-05-2011, 12:44 PM
As TheRealShifter has said, try them all for yourself cause at the end of the day it is you that will be driving the car not us. We all chose HSV's probably becuase we have a long history with the Holden badge (well at least I did/do), so very few of us are likely to be impartial to anything other than HSV :).

Price wise, I really think you can do better than that. Carpoint is your friend and you should be able to pick up a 2010 demo E3 for under $80k - just checked carpoint out and there 8 in WA alone unde that price. Don't be afraid to go to other dealers or even insterstate yourself, they can always transport the car to you. The only issue with a demo is you have to take it as it is - meaning you only get whatever the dealer has specified and no options that you may chose if ordering one from the factory.

SHADO
30-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I too have come from a world of turbo cars, having just sold my 2000 wrx, and bought an 07 GTS last week.

All i can say is wow, its a totally different ball game, instant power and constant pull, just something that a turbo car cant deliver.

I think im now a v8 person for life, nothing like being in 4th gear putting the foot down an getting an instant kick.

In saying that i have to say that i dont think the build quality of these cars are quite as good as the japs, they just tend to have more things go wrong.

Simonk
30-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Skooby. As the others said, go and test drive the two Fords also if you want to be certain about your decision. You might find they are more comfortable to sit in or the interior bits and pieces are nicer. I wouldn't worry too much about what the magazines say about which car is faster. The reality is they're all big hi powered sedans. The number on the boot lid is all about marketing and bragging rights and will be irrelevant when the next model is released anyway. For most of us here, we drive a HSV because the last car we owned was an HSV. So was the one before that. Or our Dad's had one. Even if Ford has a better product, we're not going to buy one. As a new comer, maybe you're making a choice that will determine which brand you are.

Personally I think Ford is winning the looks department. I dont' even know what the current model is called but I love the way they look. But if I were you, I'd buy the one you liked the look of best. It probably sounds silly but from a functional point of view, is there really that much difference between them all. Theyr'e all going to be nice luxurious cars when you're sitting in traffic and they're all going to put a smile on your face when you give it a squirt.

Anyway, have fun with the research and when you buy that GTS, make sure you post some pics for us to drool over.

SHADO
30-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I particuarly think ford interiors are also miles behind the hsv's, absolutely love the red leather interior in my gts, everyone that sees it is amazed.

Aaron Wilson
30-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Another one here from a turbo charged history.

2001 wrx to a 2005 STI (heavily modified) and then made the switch to a V8. (E3 Clubsport).

All I can say is do it. I will NEVER go back from a v8 now. I honestly think that people (like I used to be) that say they prefer turbo 4 cyl, have never driven a high performance v8.

The Fords are faster on paper (and probably in reality) but you know what, the HSV's are still bloody fast, and if you really want more power get it modded.

I just think that the HSV's look a million times better than the fords, I hate the decals on the GT and the F6 looks way to much like a normal falcon. Horses for courses as i know alot of people that hate the way the new HSV's look.

The ford V holden thing is no different to the STI vs EVo argument. Both have there good and bad points and in the end you drive both and choose what you like better. Simple as that.

You will love the V8, I'm excited for you.

Silver Spur
30-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh Oh, here comes another one.

Went from 2 Commodores to a modified Forester and now in a GTS.

Now I know why everyone wants one! Turbo's are nice but the power and sound of an 8 just can't be beat.

Unless you twin turbo it!!!!!:D

CLUBSPORT305
30-05-2011, 05:42 PM
skooby, DO IT!

Mzsammi
30-05-2011, 07:08 PM
haha wrong forum to be asking what to choose :P haha.

as people above have said go and test drive each one and see how u feel.
as far as looks go hsv have a look of their own but depending on your style all comes down to personal preference.
The other night while i had a good dear friend detailing my car there was a fpv in the wash bay next to us and i stood back and compared both cars. in my honest opinion the fpv seemed to be put together nicely, so is my clubby ( ve r8), as i looked more i feel i realised that i shouldnt be comparing them from the outside different lines the ford not as wide, less plastic look on the rear. so like i said comes down to what u like.

whoever said ford is behind holden interior i think u must go and look again.very similar material is in the bf xr6 bit of a disapointment non the less i do like the material.
there is alott of plastic in the ve which could have been a little bit more neater. maybe im a tad fussy coming out of a euro sri astra turbo. as far as leather goes i would have the hsv leather anyday it is incredibly soft and and looks great with the suede inserts :). i just wish the style of the seats were alot like the older model but still happy overall with the hsv, they definetly have the right idea. if i had the money i would own a fpv and a hsv.
goodluck with whatever u choose... :)

Senator01
30-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Buy the Ford dude..........

Thought I would be different to the others:)

Mzsammi
30-05-2011, 07:37 PM
lol ahh lookout :P

BushChook
30-05-2011, 07:46 PM
skooby 6 months ago i was doing my research between a fpv and hsv now i drive an e3 gts. i love the car more than life itself lol

i believe the gts will hold its value more than the gt down the track plus the touch screen is a good feature. plus the gts has reverse camera bimodal exhaust and leather seats as standard. i paid 87 for mine back in november with brake upgrade, sunroof and full size spare so i think you can get a better deal even though the stamp duty is a little higher in WA.

skooby
31-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Hey everyone..thanks for all your help!!!

I agree that I need to test drive the FPV’s before making up my mind on which way to go…I was suppose to test drive the 2 FPV’s today but it was pouring down here in Perth all day long so I have re-booked it for this Wednesday night instead….in the meantime, I’ve been shopping around for the best possible price on the MY11 E3’s and the best price I can get a manual yellow 2011 build date with the upgraded 6 piston brakes option is $88k drive-away.

Smithers_73 – I did look on carpoint and saw heaps of E3’s for under $80k but like u said, I would have to buy it as it is…unfortunately, there are no yellow ones with 6 pistons and most of them were MY10’s so its difficult to find any cheaper than $88k at this stage.

Bushchook – $87k for sunroof and upgraded brakes is an excellent price…I would be extremely happy with that…might have to tell the dealer this and hopefully they can match it..thanks for that info!

Hahaha I loved how you said you love your E3 more than life itself…I showed my wife this and she rolled her eyes and said we were a bunch of idiots lol

I agree at the end of the day, both the HSV and FPV are great cars with awesome power so I should buy the one that I like the look of better – which for me is the HSV – both exterior and interior…in terms of resale value, is it true that the GTS will hold its value better than the FPV? What about the GTS vs the R8? I could easily buy a MY11 R8 for less than $70K..this is $20K less than a GTS!!! Do you guys think the GTS is worth $20k more than the R8? An Sti is worth $20k more than a standard rex but it has heaps more power, better suspension and brakes, 6 speed as appose to a 5 speed gear box and other cosmetic differences so its definitely worth it..but anyway, I’m purchasing a GTS for the name and for its resale value later….

Anywho...I’ve only driven the E3 once but I can’t get it out of my mind…been thinking about driving it again all day long…I can’t wait to own one…it’s like a drug and I need more!!! I totally understand why people say once you own a V8, you won’t want to go back to a 4 cylinder (or even a V6 for that matter!)….I can still hear the roar of the engine and the sound of the bimodal exhaust on the GTS in my head!!!! Drove my stock wrx around today and it sounds no different from my wife’s Holden Barina…*sigh*

grange250
31-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Consider a Senator; price will be similar - a little more exclusive. Straight line speed isn't everything. When you do your test drives, how do the passengers feel? As the driver, you are anticipating what the result will be but the passenger is only on the receiving end. My Grange is a 2004 and is still a pride and joy, apart from the front scraper.

SHADO
31-05-2011, 02:21 PM
In saying how much i love my 07 gts, i simply could not justify spending 90k on a holden for the current E3.

For that type of money you could buy yourself something like a bmw 335i twin turbo, which is in a whole different league to the hsv - inside and out.

GR8T
31-05-2011, 03:04 PM
In saying how much i love my 07 gts, i simply could not justify spending 90k on a holden for the current E3.

For that type of money you could buy yourself something like a bmw 335i twin turbo, which is in a whole different league to the hsv - inside and out.

I'll give you 90K tomorrow if you can buy me a new 335i turbo BMW.
I think you will find they don't make twin turbo 335's now, they are single turbo.
And if you are looking at the twins they would have gone through the depreciation stage already, not like buying a brand new HSV.
Horses for courses.

Senator01
31-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Consider a Senator; price will be similar - a little more exclusive. r.

Very good call .. Apart from the big brakes and 8kw, my Senator 6M has everything and more. But again it comes down to personal choice..

I did see 2 GTS together (white and black) in Melbourne that had the Senator rear lip instead of the wing. Best of both worlds???
Found out though this wasn't an HSV fit, rather a dealer fit to meet customer needs.

Whatever you choose you will enjoy it more than the ricers, that's for sure...;)

SHADO
31-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I'll give you 90K tomorrow if you can buy me a new 335i turbo BMW.
I think you will find they don't make twin turbo 335's now, they are single turbo.
And if you are looking at the twins they would have gone through the depreciation stage already, not like buying a brand new HSV.
Horses for courses.

Howbout an 2009 335i for example, im pretty sure their still twin turbo.

Dont get me wrong im not bagging hsv's cos i love mine, but i just cant justify 90k for one.

Blckice
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Without reading the whole thread- Im from perth and got mine 2011 black with upgrade brakes for slightly more than that... Is that price with the delivery charge (freight cost from the east about $1300 from what I got told if I wanted one from east)
I got mine from city motors and in my opinion they where great...

Blckice
01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
How about an R8 then spend the 20k saved on a supercharger, exhaust etc from active automotive ??? Just a thought....

At the end of the day you should go for something yu like the look of...

BushChook
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
or even through walkinshaw and still keep your warranty

Audi
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Blood oath boys, totally agree. The GTS is great and you get fruit but if thats your top budget i'd rather a supercharged clubby any day with the gts what it is today.
Read any car mag and you'll see how the blown fpv has a dated chasis. It's the total opposite for hsv.

iCat
02-06-2011, 08:34 AM
coming from the dark side but with a decent liking for both the big fords and holdens, from a girlie's point of view i have always found the fords easier to drive, lighter steering, seats far more forgiving if you are a lightweight, doors not so heavy and not such huge blind spots. now don't shoot me down, no offence to anyone here, i have always thought of the big holdens as men's cars. they just seem way too big and heavy for me anyway, and always have been right through the models that i have driven. i'm far more happier to be an accessory in a holden than to actually drive one. ;)

skooby
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey all

Finally we got some good weather here in Perth so I managed to take a GT for a test drive yesterday...my first impression was that it wasn't as ugly in the flesh...in fact, it looked quite mean and aggressive...the interior was definitely not my cup of tea though. But my God, when I drove the car, nothing seemed to matter anymore! It totally blew me away!!!! I was so impressed with the raw power and extremely responsiveness...it really is one bloody awesome car to drive!!

My problem is, I still love the looks and gadgets of the E3! So immediately after leaving Ford, I went back to HSV to take another test drive...when I saw the E3 again, I knew it was the car I really wanted..I was thinking that if the E3 felt 90% as good as the GT did, then I would no doubt buy the E3 since it had the overall package..but to my disappointment, it didn't compare to the GT as much as I would have liked! Its hard to describe what I mean but basically, the E3 was not as responsive as the GT....maximum torque felt like it came in too late whereas in the GT, it came on much sooner and stayed there all the way to the redline!!!

My dilemma now is shall I spend $88k for looks and gadgets (and dont get me wrong, a pretty decent drive) or spend about $70k and on a car that I don't really mind the looks off but absolutely love the way it drives??!

I understand I can buy an R8 and spend the $18k I saved in modifying it..but I don't really want to modify my car for resale reasons.

I think I will end up with the HSV as my wife absolutely hates the looks of the GT and you know what they say..happy wife, happy life!

Don't get me wrong, I will still love the E3 but for anyone out there thinking of buying either one, if its raw power and grunt you want..then the GT is definitely the car for you..but if you're like me and want a car with power, looks and cool gadgets, then the HSV is the perfect overall package.

Senator01
05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Whatever you do skooby, once you lay down the cash don't rue your decision... so make sure you get EXACTLY what YOU want.... your wife will be more forgiving than you think.

Plus buy her some flowers.... they always work.

Rat_Boy
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Mate, Im getting (in 20 sleeps) a HSV GTS E3 2011 build with red leather package for $79,890 drive away. (QLD)
The paint, leather and rust protection is $2495 though.
Still, I'm happy with this price.

Rat

Smithers_73
05-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Mate, Im getting (in 20 sleeps) a HSV GTS E3 2011 build with red leather package for $79,890 drive away. (QLD)

Rat

Geez, nice. which dealer are you stealing that from? Is it a demo or custom order?

Rat_Boy
05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Mate pm me and I'll tell you which dealer. One nearest to me could do 86k I found another for 83k but yeah 79890 was best price in qld. It's a brand new GTS 2011 e3.

TheRealShifter
06-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Its hard to describe what I mean but basically, the E3 was not as responsive as the GT....maximum torque felt like it came in too late whereas in the GT, it came on much sooner and stayed there all the way to the redline!!!

That's probably the blower in the GT. Remember the HSV doesn't have one of those. I understand not wanting to modify the car, but if you really love the car, why sell it? I reckon see if you can find someone with a blown R8 or GTS and ask them to give it a bit of a test drive before you make up your mind. But otherwise I'd say go with the one you enjoy driving the most. You'll get over gadgets and you'll only see the outside of the car when you're outside the car. The most important part of a car is driving it coz that's what's it there for.

skooby
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Rat

Hey Rat_Boy...great price on the E3! Did this include the 6 piston brake upgrade?

If I was to get an R8 and decided to add on a supercharger, would I still have full warranty and also how much would it cost me to do?

Cheers :)

Smithers_73
06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Not sure about the price or other performance shops, but if you go with the Walkinshaw performance products (supercharger, exhaust etc.), you can get a driveline warranty whilst the car is still under new car warranty.

Blckice
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
That's probably the blower in the GT. Remember the HSV doesn't have one of those. I understand not wanting to modify the car, but if you really love the car, why sell it? I reckon see if you can find someone with a blown R8 or GTS and ask them to give it a bit of a test drive before you make up your mind. But otherwise I'd say go with the one you enjoy driving the most. You'll get over gadgets and you'll only see the outside of the car when you're outside the car. The most important part of a car is driving it coz that's what's it there for.

Great idea- why dont you go and see active automotives in Canningvale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIwisNdp4A you might be lucky to get him to take you for a drive...???? Maybe worth a try..???
I'll be going to see him to get a Cam, exh and otr fitted soon.. :-)

neil73
07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
ok..ok,.. so after months of looking and serching web sites im days away from signing up for a new E3 GTS..

im getting a novated lease, as for the next 2-3 years i'll be doing +40,000km, and feel as though i should get in before the lease benefits dissappears in 2014.

after deciding the car a couple weeks back,. i really want the gts, but they a bit pricey, so was looking at the commy sportswagaon,. they look pretty cool,.. anyway after the decision, was the colour,.. how good does the white look???? white is what im picking.

can anyone give me any reasons why i should not get the new E3 GTS??? the current deal is $70k net,.. but i got all the taxes etc to pay on top of that,.. i'll be ring around the next few days to see if the local guys can do any better,..

currently own a CV8 monaro 2002 which im about to sell,. shame to see the beast go,. but its time for an upgrade..

how cool is that bimodal exhaust??? decided not to go the brake package,. might opt for different rims later on..

skooby
08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey All

OK, so after many many sleepless nights going through all of my options and taking all of your comments onboard (eg I should buy a car that drives the best... or I can't see the car when I'm sitting in it...or gadgets are fun but I will get over it...or buy my wife a bunch of flowers LOL) I have decided to buy a FPV GT)...as much as I love the overall package of the GTS, my heart keeps pulling me back towards the awesome rawness of the supercharger!

My plan is to keep the GT for awhile and hope that HSV will one day put a supercharger on their cars because in all honesty, if HSV had a supercharged engine, it would be the PERFECT Aussie muscle car!

Thanks again for all your help and hopefully HSV will chuck a supercharger on their GTS's in the near future so that I can finally call myself a Holden guy!

Cheers everyone
:)

TheRealShifter
08-06-2011, 10:39 AM
can anyone give me any reasons why i should not get the new E3 GTS???
Not if that's what you want (and are happy to pay for).

TheRealShifter
08-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Hey All

OK, so after many many sleepless nights going through all of my options and taking all of your comments onboard (eg I should buy a car that drives the best... or I can't see the car when I'm sitting in it...or gadgets are fun but I will get over it...or buy my wife a bunch of flowers LOL) I have decided to buy a FPV GT)...as much as I love the overall package of the GTS, my heart keeps pulling me back towards the awesome rawness of the supercharger!

My plan is to keep the GT for awhile and hope that HSV will one day put a supercharger on their cars because in all honesty, if HSV had a supercharged engine, it would be the PERFECT Aussie muscle car!

Thanks again for all your help and hopefully HSV will chuck a supercharger on their GTS's in the near future so that I can finally call myself a Holden guy!

Cheers everyone

Good. I'm glad you chose the car you were most happy with. Now get out, this is an HSV forum :P Haha just kidding. Hope to see you stick around and eventually get the HSV you dream of.

skooby
08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Good. I'm glad you chose the car you were most happy with. Now get out, this is an HSV forum :P Haha just kidding. Hope to see you stick around and eventually get the HSV you dream of.

haha it was actually a lot of your advice that helped me make my decision!!!! Now that you're kicking me out...do you happen to know a good Ford Forum that I could join instead?

And yes, will definitely float around here and wait for my dream HSV to arrive one day.

Cheers
Scott

TheRealShifter
08-06-2011, 12:12 PM
haha it was actually a lot of your advice that helped me make my decision!!!! Now that you're kicking me out...do you happen to know a good Ford Forum that I could join instead?

And yes, will definitely float around here and wait for my dream HSV to arrive one day.

Cheers
Scott

I think I might cop some flak for that. *engages deflector shields*
Hahaha. I wouldn't go joining any Ford forum though. It's bad enough you choosing to buy a Ford let alone hang out with Ford people. Plus they're all bogans :P Stay here and maybe we can convince you to like the GTS more. Seriously though, have a go at a blown GTS or R8. You may decide it's worth getting one and modding it. I don't think it will affect resale that much, and if need be you can always remove it. Consider the Walky ones. They're tied closely with HSV so many people will consider it a legit enhancement and who knows, maybe it will affect resale positively. But if your heart is set on the F(l)ord then by all means...

I'm going to tell you my little story of when I bought my Clubby.
I tried out a Falcon XR8. Fully optioned. It really was a nice car. It was quick, no doubt about that. But I didn't really feel all that comfortable in the drivers seat. I felt a bit cramped. I sat in the back seat and felt even more cramped. I'm only 6ft by the way, so fairly average. The boot was not much of a boot. I carry a bit of music equipment around and I really doubted I could fit my cab in there.
Went to Holden. Even the Cruze felt more spacious than the Falcon. Tried an SV6 and it was great. Very smooth and it really didn't feel like it had that much less power than the XR8. The drivers seat was comfortable, not cramped. The back seat was like sitting on a couch in your lounge room. The boot was big and had no funny angles so I knew I could fit whatever I needed to in there. The only thing I felt was not so good was the plastics seemed a little cheaper and not quite as well fitted as the Ford, but it was no big deal. Then I tried the Clubsport. Same overall design as the SV6 so I knew I'd like it. And boy did I like it. It drove like a dream, and it actually felt sounded like a V8, unlike the XR8 that just felt and sounded like a powerful car. I was instantly in love and put a deposit on that day. So one of the big things for me was the overall design of the Holden versus the Ford. I felt that the Holden design really suited my needs and how I felt as a driver. The plastics I could deal with so long as I loved the drive. And I do. Unfortunately I didn't get to try one of the FPV's as my local Ford dealer didn't have any in manual (I will not 'drive' an auto) but I didn't really need to because the only difference would be the power, maybe the sound and handling, but the overall design would still be the same as the XR8.

I have no idea what the point of me telling you that was, but maybe it might help you think of some other things.

So in conclusion, chocolate is pretty good.

neil73
08-06-2011, 08:44 PM
cant believe it,.. finally decided on the white E3 GTS 2011 (no upgrades), but there is none in WA, aparently only 4 in australia.

does anyone know how to locate the 4 so i can speak to the dealers?

skooby
10-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I think I might cop some flak for that. *engages deflector shields*
Hahaha. I wouldn't go joining any Ford forum though. It's bad enough you choosing to buy a Ford let alone hang out with Ford people. Plus they're all bogans :P Stay here and maybe we can convince you to like the GTS more. Seriously though, have a go at a blown GTS or R8. You may decide it's worth getting one and modding it. I don't think it will affect resale that much, and if need be you can always remove it. Consider the Walky ones. They're tied closely with HSV so many people will consider it a legit enhancement and who knows, maybe it will affect resale positively. But if your heart is set on the F(l)ord then by all means...

I'm going to tell you my little story of when I bought my Clubby.
I tried out a Falcon XR8. Fully optioned. It really was a nice car. It was quick, no doubt about that. But I didn't really feel all that comfortable in the drivers seat. I felt a bit cramped. I sat in the back seat and felt even more cramped. I'm only 6ft by the way, so fairly average. The boot was not much of a boot. I carry a bit of music equipment around and I really doubted I could fit my cab in there.
Went to Holden. Even the Cruze felt more spacious than the Falcon. Tried an SV6 and it was great. Very smooth and it really didn't feel like it had that much less power than the XR8. The drivers seat was comfortable, not cramped. The back seat was like sitting on a couch in your lounge room. The boot was big and had no funny angles so I knew I could fit whatever I needed to in there. The only thing I felt was not so good was the plastics seemed a little cheaper and not quite as well fitted as the Ford, but it was no big deal. Then I tried the Clubsport. Same overall design as the SV6 so I knew I'd like it. And boy did I like it. It drove like a dream, and it actually felt sounded like a V8, unlike the XR8 that just felt and sounded like a powerful car. I was instantly in love and put a deposit on that day. So one of the big things for me was the overall design of the Holden versus the Ford. I felt that the Holden design really suited my needs and how I felt as a driver. The plastics I could deal with so long as I loved the drive. And I do. Unfortunately I didn't get to try one of the FPV's as my local Ford dealer didn't have any in manual (I will not 'drive' an auto) but I didn't really need to because the only difference would be the power, maybe the sound and handling, but the overall design would still be the same as the XR8.

I have no idea what the point of me telling you that was, but maybe it might help you think of some other things.

So in conclusion, chocolate is pretty good.

haha even though I never ended up converting to a holden guy...i feel as though Im cheating on u guys!!!! I've joined the Australian Ford Forum and am now very close to signing up for my GT!
Funny how u mentioned that u would never drive an auto because that is my biggest dilemma atm...not sure if u guys want to read this but here is what everyone over at the ford forum are saying about the new ZF 6 speed auto on the GT's!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11333435

TheRealShifter
10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
When I tried the XR8 I actually drove the auto variant ('twas an '09 FG with ZF 6 spd) first while we waited for the guy that had the manual one to bring it back to the dealer. It was boring as all hell. It really just felt like an auto. Plus I didn't feel like I was driving the car, just making it go and stop. That's why I only drive manual, I like to drive my car.

Don't worry about what anyone else says. If you want an auto, get an auto. If you want a manual, get a manual. They will never be the same, not even with 'sports shift', so what it comes down to is how you like to drive. Daily driving in Sydney traffic might warrant desire for an auto, but I've driven my Clubby into Melbourne in peak hour and I really couldn't care less that I had to use my clutch. Maybe when I get older and my knees are wearing out then just maybe, but for now I like the control I have with a clutch and stick. So YOU decide what YOU want.

Simonk
10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
ok..ok,.. so after months of looking and serching web sites im days away from signing up for a new E3 GTS..

im getting a novated lease, as for the next 2-3 years i'll be doing +40,000km, and feel as though i should get in before the lease benefits dissappears in 2014.

after deciding the car a couple weeks back,. i really want the gts, but they a bit pricey, so was looking at the commy sportswagaon,. they look pretty cool,.. anyway after the decision, was the colour,.. how good does the white look???? white is what im picking.

can anyone give me any reasons why i should not get the new E3 GTS??? the current deal is $70k net,.. but i got all the taxes etc to pay on top of that,.. i'll be ring around the next few days to see if the local guys can do any better,..

currently own a CV8 monaro 2002 which im about to sell,. shame to see the beast go,. but its time for an upgrade..

how cool is that bimodal exhaust??? decided not to go the brake package,. might opt for different rims later on..

The lease benefits may have already disappeared for you. Check with your accountant but you need to have committed to the car before 10 May.

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00279822.htm

Simonk
10-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey All

Cheers everyone

Even though you've made the wrong decision, I'd love you to post some pics of the GT when you get it. I think they look great. Personally I would have picked the car that I liked the look of best and felt most comfortable sitting in. If I was buying a car solely for performance then I wouldn't get either of them.

220isenator
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11333435

How dare you link that forum here.:lol:

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessiona...t/00279822.htm

And this is even worse:)

skooby
20-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Even though you've made the wrong decision, I'd love you to post some pics of the GT when you get it. I think they look great. Personally I would have picked the car that I liked the look of best and felt most comfortable sitting in. If I was buying a car solely for performance then I wouldn't get either of them.

Hi All

I have finally managed to upload some pics of my new GT....didn't have a chance to wash it this weekend due to the continuous rain here in Perth..luckily the dirt doesn't show up as much on these pics :)

I had it tinted from Tint-a-car (Midnight Express) - wanted Octane but is illegal on the factory window due to it having an existing greenish tint.

Loving the car atm!! The looks is definitely growing on me too...hehe hope you all can appreciate a great car...

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb381/skoobydoo22/?albumview=slideshow

Simonk
20-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I think it looks great. I hate to admit it, but if I was in your position I would have chosen the Ford also. It's styling is a bit more subdued than the GTS while still looking tough. Enjoy your new ride and maybe we'll see you in a HSV one day when they pick up their game.

iCat
20-06-2011, 08:39 AM
i just looked at the pics - ohhhhhhhh my god ...... that is SOOOOO hot ..... ooohhh yeah!! :D

jkhsv
21-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I've had my new GTS for 3 weeks now and LOVE it !!!!!!

I got a Hazard yellow, 6 speed manual, big brakes.

The EDI is unreal in the HSV...and for now the bimodal exhaust is doing the job :D

skooby
22-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks guys! I absolutely love the car! Look forward to driving it every day!

I still love the HSV heaps too! Love the E3 in the Hazard and still see a couple on the street and wonder... what if?

Will definitely get a HSV one day...it can't hurt having both a Ford and a Holden in the same garage hehe

At the end of the day, they are both wonderful cars and I would have been happy with either one.

neil73
22-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I've had my new GTS for 3 weeks now and LOVE it !!!!!!

I got a Hazard yellow, 6 speed manual, big brakes.

The EDI is unreal in the HSV...and for now the bimodal exhaust is doing the job :D

mate,. im in perth too,. should be picking up the E3 GTS tomorrow,. what a joke trying to gte the paper work sorted between the lease company and the car yard..

i went white,...manual,.. standard brakes,. will probably change the rims though.. where in perth are ya,.. ive only seen a white one on the freeway..

what you mean "doing the job"???

jkhsv
23-06-2011, 10:40 AM
mate,. im in perth too,. should be picking up the E3 GTS tomorrow,. what a joke trying to gte the paper work sorted between the lease company and the car yard..

i went white,...manual,.. standard brakes,. will probably change the rims though.. where in perth are ya,.. ive only seen a white one on the freeway..

what you mean "doing the job"???

I live in Bassendean.....

At the moment the bimodal is sufficient but you can't beat a decent zorst system....when I put a blower on mine i'll do the zorst too....:D

prospect
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Hello everyone, recently joined the forum and rather than start a new thread, thought I'd post on this one here.

Simple but at the same time, difficult problem!! I want to purchase my first ever HSV and need some advice. I basically have approx $40k and want to know what would be the best HSV to get for that amount.

I've seen maybe a couple of Clubsport R8's, 2008 models. What should I look for in terms of usage and also what is a good KM range for cars that old?

In addition, what are the general servicing/running costs of HSVs in that age group. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for you time in advance!

Regards.

J8NE5Y
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Mate look around, you can probably get an E2 or if you are very lucky, an E3 for that price.

prospect
20-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Been looking for some time now, no E3's for $40k, even if I stretch to $50k I can't find an E3.
Any recommendations of where to look? I've been using carpoint and carsales up till now.

Thanks.

Sic Emo
20-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I have my E3 SV Black Clubsport for sale on car sales for $65K with only 3800km which I think is a steal if you can stretch you budget well worth the extra

prospect
20-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I wish I could extend to $65k, but it way out of my budget, struggling to hit $50k.

I often wonder what jobs people have here to drive HSVs. Actually forget them as they are at least reasonable, what about all the BMW/Audis I see. They're ridiculously expensive here and yet so many people drive them!!

220isenator
20-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Lots of people drive those types of cars but not that many actually own them.

HSV085
21-07-2012, 07:38 AM
For 40k this one's a pretty good deal - http://carsales.mobi/private/details/hsv-clubsport-2009-12763155.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

R34
22-07-2012, 02:40 PM
I had a look at a new Senator last week.
I was mightily impressed with the car other than the quality of the paint (too many years with German cars perhaps)
Anyway the salesman said that Senators were hard to get as the factory had closed for a month.
Seems strange when there are 55 2012 Senators for sale on carsales.
What sort of money do these cars go for as the local dealer wants $93k (sunroof + 20" wheels) while I see over east the asking price is $83k or less. Would it be better to buy off a dealer ex east (did this with an Audi and saved $10k on a $60k car)
My preference would be to order a Senator with all the options including LPI and am happy with a delivery next year.
Any advice or contact to talk to would be appreciated.

Or should I wait for the VF/E4?

Senator01
22-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I had a look at a new Senator last week.
I was mightily impressed with the car other than the quality of the paint (too many years with German cars perhaps)
Anyway the salesman said that Senators were hard to get as the factory had closed for a month.
Seems strange when there are 55 2012 Senators for sale on carsales.
What sort of money do these cars go for as the local dealer wants $93k (sunroof + 20" wheels) while I see over east the asking price is $83k or less. Would it be better to buy off a dealer ex east (did this with an Audi and saved $10k on a $60k car)
My preference would be to order a Senator with all the options including LPI and am happy with a delivery next year.
Any advice or contact to talk to would be appreciated.

Or should I wait for the VF/E4?

I have an E3 Senator for sale. Check this thread ... you might be interested? http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?8469-E3-Senator&p=91520#post91520

R34
22-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Awesome looking car mate but I want a new Auto
Cheers

Senator01
23-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Awesome looking car mate but I want a new Auto
Cheers

Well buy my car and put a new auto in it??? :D

KMAN
16-08-2012, 08:26 AM
I personally think the dealer wants to much. You can get one in great condition for 70 something thousand and if you really dig around you may be able to get one for even less than that.

R34
21-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I personally think the dealer wants to much. You can get one in great condition for 70 something thousand and if you really dig around you may be able to get one for even less than that.

$70k? I'm talking a new car here mate
Anyone advise a dealer willing to negotiate (and one that doesn't suck his teeth ,quote $10k ,claim no one has ever ordered and frown when I ask about LPI :-) )

white_lie
21-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Where have you been?
I would look at Shacks, City's, Melville or Brian Gardners... probably in that order, shop around but I can't justify buying new

Pickles
21-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Ain't read this thread from the start.
However, if I was thinking of buying ANY HSV now....I wouldn't.
I'd be waiting to see what 2013 reveals...in the VF. If I didn't like VF, then that's fine, because there would be some simply AWESOME deals available for "runout" VE....it ain't rocket science....it's just the way it is, & what ALWAYS happens....so, WAIT, & make sure ya're prepared (ya've got the dollars), & see what becomes available.
Cheers, Pickles.
Cheers, Pickles.

R34
22-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah if it wasn't for the VF coming I'd buy now.
Thinking of hanging on until June if a VF/E4 is released by then but the dealer knew nothing
Must admit the E3 is not my favourite as I think the E1 looks better

jkhsv
28-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I have my 2011 E3 GTS 8,300km coming up for sale....$65k. PM me if interested...

bonners
28-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Already...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

jkhsv
29-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Already...

Had it 14 months Adam.....

bonners
29-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Means it's just bedding in.... ;-)

jkhsv
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Means it's just bedding in.... ;-)

True...an exceptional buy for someone !!