PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Balancer Wobble

SHADO
29-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

Before buying my 07 gts, i got a full inspection and the inspector said the harmonic balancer had a bit off a wobble, wasnt anything too serious he reckons but said to keep an eye on it, i've also got what sound like belt squeaking noise coming from around that area which increases with engine speed.

Is a wobbling harmonic balancer something serious or can i just leave it as is?

Andrew_02
29-05-2011, 06:09 PM
interested to know the outcome of this.
why do they go out of whack? are you going through belts?
I've seen the auto V8 engine plant in Melbourne (a few years ago) the V8's are hanging on a pulley system conected to LPG they all run fine on LPG believe it or not, that way they go to Adelaide not as DG Dangerous goods and the front ballancer you are talking about is drilled where needed and the rear plate? not sure if that what the starter motor uses doubt it is drilled and rivets put in, looked like a way of blue printing the engine as the computer put the engine through the rev range, took less than 2 minutes, not sure but doubt they even had oil in them. sorry about the dribble and no answer but I would get it checked out asap the big end and main bearings are behind it

macca33
29-05-2011, 08:12 PM
It is a common occurrence on E series cars and the dealer will have a fix for it - probably replace the harmonic balancer.

cheers

SHADO
29-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Andrew_02 not quite sure i could make out half of what u said there or how its at all related to the question, but thanks for the reply.

SHADO
29-05-2011, 11:27 PM
It is a common occurrence on E series cars and the dealer will have a fix for it - probably replace the harmonic balancer.

cheers

Hi mate, thanks for that reply, makes me feel a bit better hehe, would you know whats involved in replacing the harmonic balancer?
Its pretty tight in that region it almost looks like they would need to take the motor out to replace, although im sure they wouldnt be doing that.

Also would you know how long it would take to do it, and is it doing any harm at the moment?

Finally, could it be the possible cause of the squeaking noise coming from around that engine?

Cheers

BLOWNR8
30-05-2011, 07:25 PM
moving harmonic balancer could also damage the crank, and that could lead to motor out and new crank!

MissGTS
30-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

Before buying my 07 gts, i got a full inspection and the inspector said the harmonic balancer had a bit off a wobble, wasnt anything too serious he reckons but said to keep an eye on it, i've also got what sound like belt squeaking noise coming from around that area which increases with engine speed.

Is a wobbling harmonic balancer something serious or can i just leave it as is?

Hi Shado,

I had a problem with my '06 GTS squealing on cold start-up. HSV replaced the harmonic balancer ($800) which was done with-in the day.
Unfortunately the squeal returned after a month. She is going back tommorrow, so will let you know the outcome.

macca33
30-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Harmonic balancer removal is no real drama - radiator out and a decent puller and it comes off easily - I've done quite a few on LS1s and the LS2 / LS3 /L98s are the same method.

cheers

SHADO
30-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Shado,

I had a problem with my '06 GTS squealing in cold start-up. HSV replaced the harmonic balancer ($800) which was done with-in the day.
Unfortunately the squeal returned after a month. She is going back tommorrow, so will let you know the outcome.

Sounds promising, hopefully they can diagnose the problem right away and not try to stuff me around or say its normal, or even worse try a bandaid fix like spraying lube onto it etc.

This is the first car i've bought from a dealership so not to sure as how they go with warranty work.

I think that the belts should also be changed to completely get rid of the squeak, i wont be driving the car until friday which is the day i take it in, even then i'll be taking it easy.

Im hoping they have the part on hand and dont make me come back for it.

MissGTS
31-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Hello again Shado,

Forgot to mention on the last post -
Harmonic balancer replaced - aircon and drive belts were also replaced.

Took the GTS back today. Aircon belt replaced again due to "poor manufacturing of belt".
Will have to drive for a couple of weeks before I can be sure this has fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

SHADO
31-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello again Shado,

Forgot to mention on the last post -
Harmonic balancer replaced - aircon and drive belts were also replaced.

Took the GTS back today. Aircon belt replaced again due to "poor manufacturing of belt".
Will have to drive for a couple of weeks before I can be sure this has fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that MissGTS, hopefully i get the same treatment.

Was yours done under warranty? If so what kind of warranty do you have? Im still under the 3 month statutory warranty, with a standard cover 3 year warranty following that.

Finally, was is you or the dealership that diagnosed the problem with the harmonic balancer and belts? I mean did u just go in there and say i got squeaking belts and they figured out what the problem was?
Or did you specifically tell them you know what was wrong with the car?
I just hope im not gona have to get into a sh!t fight to replace parts under warranty.

MissGTS
31-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi, I purchased the AHG Premium Warranty and the harmonic balancer was fully covered.
I recorded the squeal on my phone because it was only there on cold start-up. I told them it was coming from the front of the motor.
When she went in for a service they replaced belts, harmonic balancer and bolt.
The first time, the belts were on me, but they phoned first and suggested that the belts be replaced while they had the balancer out ($20-$30 each).
When they replaced the a/c belt again today, it was covered by the warranty.
They also informed me that the front sway bar D bushes were replaced under warranty.
Surely the issue should be fixed under your 3 month warranty as it seems to be a common problem.
Take it to HSV dealership if you can, they are more likely to just replace the part. Best of luck.

SHADO
31-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info, im taking it to a holden dealership who also work on hsv's.

I just hope they dont try to get out of warranty claims.

OHSVGTS
22-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey mate,

I had mine harmonic balancer replaced because I had the exact same problem. I got it done under warranty, its nothing major its more annoying than anything. It can cause ur engine to twitch a little while on idle but nothing serious.

Cheers