PDA

View Full Version : MRC Question

SHADO
25-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi All,

I've just purchased an 07 GTS, had an independent inspection done, all was good except one of the rear shocks was weeping and needed to be replaced.

I've told the dealer to replace it before i pickup the car, my question is, how will i be sure that they've put an original MRC shock in there? Is it possible that they could just throw in any normal shock for example from an R8?

Would the MRC light come up on the dash if its not installed properly?

Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

Stewiecasserole
25-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Pretty easy....get it independantly checked again.....sure the dude would stick his head under for free considering you have just been there.
Plus you should get a MRC fault.

SHADO
25-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Well it was a mechanic that came out to the dealership to do the inspection, I paid $240 for it, so he wouldn't just come out without me paying again.

I guess I'll just have to count on the MRC light, only problem then is whether they change the shock at all. Do u think if I called the Holden workshop their getting it serviced at they would tell me what's gone into the car?

colt75
25-05-2011, 11:22 AM
just pop your head under it. and have a look.

im sure it will come with used car warranty anyway, so at a later stage if its still leaking, just take it back..

SHADO
25-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeh i still think it'll be hard to make sure before i take it home while its at the dealership, espec with the wheel on.

I guess their playing ball now cos i havent paid for the car yet, but once they have my money i have a feeling they wont care as much.

Silver Spur
25-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Oooh I have a MRC question to!!!

Can you drive around with it on all the time or is it better left off and switched on when you need it?

I just don't want to damage anything if i leave it on all the time!!!

Noodle
25-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Can you drive around with it on all the time or is it better left off and switched on when you need it?

I have an E3 GTS, I don't think there is such a thing as switching MRC totally off. It is just a selectable settings for your car suspension. In a GTS, I can choose either Performance mode (which gives more comfortable ride) or Track mode (which gives firmer ride but less body roll on cornering). Switching it totally off I assume is like removing the suspension from your car? A total no-no.

Silver Spur
25-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I forgot it has two settings, thanks for the reminder!!!:lol:

SHADO
25-05-2011, 04:15 PM
So then how does it work in the E1 GTS?

The MRC button is either on or off, when you press it, it lights up indicating track, what setting is it on when the light is off?

gunsrunner
25-05-2011, 04:30 PM
The same Performance(off) or Track(on).

Why don't you mark the shock with a small scratch or marker, then you would now if it has been replaced.

Not sure if running in track mode is causing the leaks these shocks are suffering, but i try to not use track too much, especially if i know I'm going to be going over speed bumps.

hsv.286
25-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Dab a liquid paper witness mark on it. Stewie was rite in saying a fault should show on the mrc and they have a big yellow mrc sticker on the side of them too and not easy to swap to a standard shock if they dealer is shonky.. Ps, performance mode is off and track mode on as runner explained.cheers..

SHADO
25-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Well the cars at the dealership so no chance of marking it, they told me it's booked in to replace the shock in the morning, but I was told that the guys from roseberry Suttons are pretty honest and wouldn't try to pull dodgys.
So I'll just have to give it a look as much as I can and rely on trust.

MLCGTS
25-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I have an 08 GTS, my understanding is that pressing the button turns it onto track mode. Leaving it off just makes it work like a normal shocker. Ye sthe weeping rear shocks is a known problem, and I would just ask for some evidence it was changed, like th einvoice from a holden dealer. If the system is not connected (o rnot connected because it is non mrc shocky on there) a fault light will come on, it is the little check MRC letters above the mode button

Stewiecasserole
25-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Mines seldomly been off from new....nearly 2 years and 32 kays

colt75
26-05-2011, 12:53 AM
i turn mine on when i plan on doing some hard cornering, or want stiffer suspension for whatever reason.

turn it off if i want a comfortable ride or going over speed bumps.

but i cant say i can tell the difference between the two..

SHADO
26-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok so they've called me again this morning and guaranteed me that they would be putting an MRC shock in and supplying me with a copy of the invoice.

fingers crossed hehe

colt75
27-05-2011, 12:05 AM
yeah your probably overthinking it.

i doubt a big company like that would put themselves in a position to be sued.

SHADO
27-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I know im overthinking, but its not like its happened before.

I remember reading on a forum - might of been this one, bout a hsv that went in for a service, he marked his initials on the oil filter, and still had the same filter on there after the service, even though they charged him for it.

So dodgy dealers arent exactly a rare occurence.