PDA

View Full Version : springs or coilovers

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Okies
im giving in to this mod bug
im just curious what people on here have gone with
who has springs and who has coilovers.

i have been advised against the springs from ttf in south morang. the guy said the ve's drive horrible after u put springs in. and he suggested to spend the extra cash n get coilovers.

any thoughts?

Stewiecasserole
03-05-2011, 05:08 PM
LOL...that didn't take long did it:lol::lol:
I think the consensus will lean towards coil-overs. Your's doesn't have MRC does it?....not that flash being a Clubby.....less to worry about:D

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 05:13 PM
yeh i am leaning towards coilovers too.
:P im gonna give u something to worry about stewi :P sowwy i was coughing on my mint leave lollies

Stewiecasserole
03-05-2011, 05:16 PM
How so...and it's Stewie...not Atewie :lol::lol:

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
ill find a wayyy

Stewiecasserole
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
PHeeeew...you almost had me worried there for a moment......BAHAHAHAHAHA:lol::lol::lol:
Well you gotta catch up first so get ya slates on 'coz I've already started.....:lol::lol:
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/makingwaves/origami_whale_430.jpg

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
lol i shall try not to break a a sweat walking after you hahaha

VZHSVDT
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
coilovers if funds allow anyday of the week over springs!
low and high at your finger tips

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
haha tax time is my fwiend :P its like christmas.

Stewiecasserole
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
lol i shall try not to break a a sweat walking after you hahaha

LOL...here we go.......someone's got big plans......
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/E750050F882FEC78CA256F5D007F325F/$file/2004.12.02_HSV_engine.jpg

220isenator
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
LOL...here we go.......someone's got big plans......

Not you though....hey Stewie:lol:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/kezzaelizabeth/images-6.jpg

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
lol just look in ur mirror if ur infront of me. i have a sure fire way to make u stop.

plannnssss ... :P always a plan mwahahahaha

220isenator
03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/kezzaelizabeth/images6.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/kezzaelizabeth/images7.jpg

Mzsammi
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
i found it amusing the guys at ttf were nice the older guy talking to me wouldnt stop talking to me and ***uming i had np idea what he was on about til i mentioned semi slicks n he almost fell thru the window haha. then he was handing me a keyring n stickers sayin i should put it on my car ... n i said only if u do me a awsome deal ,,, :P and ill happily promote yas.. he agreed

E3GTS4me
03-05-2011, 09:18 PM
coilover's are the way to go on a ve....except a GTS lol

07GTS
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
coilovers all the way i reckon, if u dont like the hight u can change it when ever u want, im doing mine in the comming months when funds are better, found pedders do a good set, and for the gts owners they have a loom that plugs into the mrc sensors so the computor dosnt freak out with warnings...

Simonk
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Aren't the VEs coilovers standard? Anyway, the springs in mine are Pedders springs and I find they handle well and are comfortable for daily use. It's lowered maybe an inch? My car came with them so I can't compare them to standard.

The choice for you I guess depends on available funds and whether you're going to use the functionality of aftermarket coilovers. Being able to adjust dampening and ride height is pretty cool but if you're just going to set and forget them, then is it worth paying the extra? Well I say yes it is.

You can never get springs to sit exactly where you want them to as they won't be exactly the height they are advertised to be. Many people find that one side of the car is lower than the other after lowering. Also I've found that spring rates of aftermarket springs generally don't suit the amount of dampening on factory shocks. Whilst I'm happy with the Pedders springs that came in my Clubby, I bet the Pedders coilovers feel much nicer. When I lowered my VZ, I bought Kings Springs for it. I then bought Monroe shocks because the ride was too harsh. That then lowered the front too much so then got new springs for the front. Factor in all the labour and I was kicking myself that I didn't buy coilovers in the first place.

Go the coilovers. Pedders Extreme XA get a great wrap on LS1.com. Tein is the other one many use but from what I've read, the Pedders are a better unit.

Alex85_HSV
04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
hey sammy i had coilover in the front and springs rear and found the coilovers veryy bumpy and stiff

so i ripped them out inststalled monroe gt schocks all around and king springs i think the lowest at that time was ssl check out somewhere in my posts i posted a pic of my ve and it drove like a dream aye not a fan of coilovers .... i got some in my current s15 and for drifting and hammering thru round abouts its good but driving i hate em

Mzsammi
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
thanx alex..... yeh thats what i just remembered this morning was the fact they are a bit stiff. i shall have to do some more investigating
funds arent a issue for either of these.

220isenator
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Coil overs don't have to have a harsh ride. Yes the Tiens and Pedders models do tend to be a bit firmer but if you look into Bilsteins you will find they are completely adjustable for height and damping. They are also rebuild-able and can be re valved to suit your ride. You will never have to buy another suspension setup again.
These are the only coilovers I would even consider. There's a reason they come standard in all supercars.

Here's the place to go in Vic for them...

http://www.quadrantsuspensions.com.au/

Nurburg608
04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
As 220 said, the bilstiens are awesome, although i wouldn't go through quadrant unless they offer you a good deal. They quoted me $2400 just for my shocks and I got them delivered from Germany via the UK for $1200 landed :)

Haven't heard anything bad about the pedders ones either but havent used any of their suspension to personally comment.

If you are going for coilovers, what ever you do, don't skimp on quality for the sake of a few $$$. If you can get them with adjustable bump and rebound you'll be able to make the ride as harsh or as soft as you'd like.

Mzsammi
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
thanx rory :P