PDA

View Full Version : Stereo upgrade - VE Maloo

09R8Maloo
09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to upgrade the stereo in my VE Maloo by replacing the door speakers with 6.5" comp splits, adding 2 10" subs and amps etc etc. I'm also going to have Dynamat Xtreme installed in the whole cabin to help with sound...

I'm after any recommendations as far as where to go to get the work done and also which places to avoid... I'm in Canberra, but am willing to travel to Sydney if that's what it takes to get the job done right.

I'm also open to any suggestions and ideas which people may have from knowledge and/or previous experience with these installs, especially in a ute...

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated...

gunsrunner
09-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry can't help with Canberra, but my 2 bob anyway.
Listen, Listen, Listen. to as many different setups as you can. Your ears will hear sound differently to every one else.
Grab YOUR favorite cd and take your time, make sure the settings are on zero and make a note of the boxes or demo board they are mounted in. ie. ports, dacron.
Once you have a good idea of what you want, ask the shop to set your system up in a demo board or car if possible, if they really want your business, this should not be a problem.
If you are going for something they recommend, then more than likely they will have it in a car to listen to, but remember cars sound different from one to the other.
Last but not least, buy once. Get the right stuff in the first place, if you can not afford a component, then make sure you have the right connections so it can be fitted later. ie . 1 sub but get a big enough amp to drive the second when you want it.
A couple of quick suggestions.
Tweeters,
Polycarbonate- bright and can get harsh at volume.
Titanium - bright and will handle more volume.
Soft Dome - Parachute silk, mellow and smooth normally.
Mid Base,
Need to be tough and have a large or good quality magnet structure and good cooling, these speakers do the most work and the hardest frequency range for there size.
Sub Base,
Bigger is better, for boxes and subs.
I used to sell a lot of tens, because customers ask for them, thinking they would be more punchy, but when they didn't get the amount of base they wanted they would buy bigger. The thought was that a ten inch is lighter and moves faster so should be punchier, but, if you were trying to produce the same level of base from 10's and 15's, the 10's would need to move say 30mm and the 15's would only need to move 10mm so the 15's are faster, as long as you have the right amount of power for them and the right sized box.

Hope this helps!!!!:oops:
Sooo many choices,

gto461
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
fhrx in sydney are excellent...1 tip for ya when ya check out shops to fit it ask for some pics of other jobs they have done,this will give ya an indication of their expertise...in my ute i mounted an alpine pdx amp (nice and small but powerful) between the seats and a 10 inch sub behind the passenger seat.

09R8Maloo
14-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Lads,

Thank you very much for your helpful comments... they're greatly appreciated. I'm not a very stereo savvy person so having others perspectives/ideas/suggestions onboard is always a great help.

I've already set aside a few grand for the stereo, not so much because I want to spend that amount of cash, but more for the fact that I don't want to be short of cash when the time comes to do the install.

I looked up FHRX in Sydney online and they definitely do some awesome work... I'll have to go up and have a look once I get back from my deployment mid May...

Tahnks again lads...

dannym81
09-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I've just bought a new e3 maloo and trying to research new stereo upgrades. Has anyone installed the walkinshaw Rockford fosgate system into their maloo or are there some better options for the same price??

timmy975
09-05-2011, 05:50 PM
^^Could you let us know what is actually included in that deal and the cost's involved if possible?
I've bought 2 amps, 2 x 8'' subs, 3.sixty sound processor, dynamat and a set of component speakers. I'm now doing the install myself thanks to Simonk and E3GTS4me for their detailed info. I had a quote for $1300 just for the install itself which included a couple pieces of mdf and tuning. Can't wait for the weekend so I can start on the install!!

dannym81
09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
This is off their website:

Walkinshaw Full Audio Upgrade > by Rockford Fosgate
Designed specifically for Walkinshaw Performance by Rockford Fosgate this upgrade increases the original 230 watts to 1000 watts of audiophile excellence.
The system includes:

• Multi Channel Amplifier
• PEQ Remote Subwoofer
• 500 Watt Dual Voice Coil 12inch Subwoofer
• Custom Tuned Subwoofer Enclosure
• High Performance 6inch Full Range Speakers in all doors

Suitable for Holden VE Commodore, Long Wheel Base and HSV E Series. With the latest VE/WM series of Vehicles comes a NEW and DYNAMIC Premium Audio Upgrade Engineered to provide these Vehicles with an Unparallel Sound System, which fully integrates with the factory audio control unit.

All fully integrated with the factory audio system, all you need to do is decide how loud to play it.

vvThis is all the info i could find and costs $1800 inc install. This is however in a sedan so less a couple of speakers and not sure where they're gonna fit the 12" sub. Gonna call em tomorrow.

They say the new system is increased from 230 to 1000w. Do you have your specs and where you gonna mount all your hardware??? Why only 8"? Because theres no room for boxes?

timmy975
09-05-2011, 07:56 PM
$1800 sounds really cheap. I guess it should be cheaper again for a ute? I've seen people put 10's where the factory subs are with a bit of custom work but I think it might be a bit of an over kill for one set of speakers. The 8's I purchased are 250 RMS each so they will put out a fair bit of noise but I'm not sure if they will be a straight swap as they are 120mm deep. Depending on were your seat is, a 12'' in a box will fit behind the drivers seat and an install should be fairly straight forward with the help given on this site.
I'm planning on putting one amp under each seat, the processor behind the glove box and dynamat the doors and rear of the cabin.
Have you got any other ideas or thoughts on what you want or just go with what they are offering?

Cheers

dannym81
09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah $1800 is sounding cheap the more i read. I used to do all this stuff myself when i was younger but cant be fagged now. Let me know how you go. Will call walkinshaw tomorrow to get some more info tomorrow. Will let you know how i go.

The processor your talking about is that a LOC as there are no line outs from the factory head unit?

E3GTS4me
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM
$1800 does sound cheap.....would like to know some model numbers of what it consists of, so far I have spent $2100 just in speaker and amps.

timmy975
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the processor is different to a 'plain' LOC. It comes with software were you can tune your system with better accuracy and more to your liking. It also boost's up the output voltage and makes a clean signal..or something like that anyway. Although they are not cheap, I highly recommend it when keeping your stock head unit.

E3, if you don't mind me asking what have you purchased?? Any guide for install costs?

Cheers

dannym81
09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Heres some more info on the pack they offer. Keep in mind i think its based on a sedan. Hope it helps.

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/products/default.asp?content=ve&id=28

dannym81
10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
New update.
Premium upgrade: 12" sub, door speakers, amp $3375 installed
Upgrade: 12" sub, amp $1800 installed

E3GTS4me
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the processor is different to a 'plain' LOC. It comes with software were you can tune your system with better accuracy and more to your liking. It also boost's up the output voltage and makes a clean signal..or something like that anyway. Although they are not cheap, I highly recommend it when keeping your stock head unit.

E3, if you don't mind me asking what have you purchased?? Any guide for install costs?

Cheers

yeah no problem....Polk audio speakers front MM5601 rear MM561 Amps are Alpine PDX series 100watt rms per channel (speakers) and 600watt mono block for the sub which is a Focal 27 V2 Polyglass plus associated wiring and plugs. If you were getting this installed by a pro I would budget on about $400-$500

dannym81
10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Priced the same Rockford fosgate gear today at local installer but with better 6.5" for $2300 installed. Walkinshaw total rip off. He said he's done about 100 of them and said they sound awesome.

timmy975
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Danny, Wow $3375 installed is a huge price for what you are getting. Have you changed your mind or had any other thoughts?

E3, I couldn't find any info on MM5601, are they MM6501? If so, they seem to be an excellent speaker which can handle plenty of power. Those Alpine amps are also very impressive. Good choices.

EDIT: While I was typing you had already answered my question.

E3GTS4me
11-05-2011, 06:35 AM
yes sorry MM6501 and MM651

dannym81
11-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Um yeah i have. Went to car audio place and got some really good info. Decided on a rockford amp upgraded from original package some really nice $900.00 maestro 6.5 splits and a rockford 12". Heaps of dynamat sound dedening in the doors and a cool base control knob under the seat. Oh and the processer. Installed for $2750. Dont think thats too bad.

timmy975
11-05-2011, 08:12 PM
German Maestro's are top notch. I have a set also but mine aren't that pricey. Which processor did you go with? My brother has a RF amp and 12'' punch sub in his ute and they sound really strong. Good to see people not doing the upgrade half ass'd. :twisted:

E3GTS4me
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
my upgrade is getting done today, cant wait

timmy975
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
^^ How did it all go?

dannym81
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah. how did it go? spoke to him about the processor and he said hes done hundreds of ve installs. Showed me this little thing that costs $50 bucks. He said guaranteed to work the best. Does that sound right.

He also said no need for dynomat across the back but double up on the doors and you wont regret it.

All this research and i dont even pick my maloo up till tomorrow. YEEEEEEEHAAAA

E3GTS4me
12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
^^ How did it all go?

Didnt quite get it all finished.....alot of work to get done in a day but hopefully by lunch time tommorow I'll be listening to it.

timmy975
12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure if you can find a processor for that cheap. It might just have been a LOC but I'll gladly be proved wrong.
I've been told by a very reputable shop that dynamatting the rear of the cabin works wonders as it greatly reduces road noise's. Ill definitely be doing the rear when the time comes around.

E3 your not wrong about being a big job, half your interior is dismantled! Looking forward to reading the end result.

dannym81
20-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Cool. I'll look into that a bit more. Got yours all done e3?

E3GTS4me
22-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Cool. I'll look into that a bit more. Got yours all done e3?

check my other thread

Kam.e3
19-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey,

Definitely get it done outta Canberra I got mine done in bris though, I got custom 12" type R sub behind drivers seat, type R splits twin alpine amps and had the factory head unit converted to run tv and DVD, still looks completely factory but is an awesome set up with crisp clean sounds, all up cost $4700. Well worth the money.
Let me know if you want some more details.
Good luck
Ps don't bother with bdl or audio tech