PDA

View Full Version : Amps on boot lid

gto461
22-01-2011, 01:17 PM
hey has anyone installed amps on underside of bootlid...i was thinking of installing 2 alpine pdx amps but people say i might have overheating issues...is this cause they are upside down?...i have seen amps installed this way at car shows and in mags and was wondering about any issues that might crop up...anyone got any ideas or advice...cheers

zclubby
22-01-2011, 02:39 PM
All depends on how hard you work the amp. The fins on the side of the amps are there to assist with the cooling, just like an air cooled motor (like a motor bike). When you install the amp upside down they dont work to well because as we all know, heat rises. And in this case it rises to the bottom of the amp where it is flat.

In saying that I have a small amp upside down under my rear tray running 2 6X9s and have never had an issue. Would be concerned if you were thinking of running a couple of subs at over half the amps ability though.

Hope this helps

jahi2008
22-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe you could fabricate up a bracket so that the amp isnt upside down?
just need two brackets,powder coat them the same colour as your car and hide any cables in black corry hose through the boot.
bit of stuffing around,havnt seen it done that way b4.

gto461
22-01-2011, 04:42 PM
cheers fellas...not sure what to do now...will keep thinkin of a way 2 keep some boot space free

white_lie
22-01-2011, 04:52 PM
IMO they'll be fine.
I've mounted amps upside down numurous times and never had problems. Obviously it's not ideal for the amp's cooling efficiency as said above but it can still work.

Otherwise if you want the boot space free, squeeze them under the front seats or on the sides of the boot or on the boot floor with a false floor over the top (you'd lose about 10-15cm depending on the thickness of the amps and wood you use).

gto461
22-01-2011, 07:30 PM
thanks white lie...i was thinkin of a false floor...sounds like the next best thing...cheers

Stewiecasserole
22-01-2011, 11:55 PM
I've read that apart from the heat issues (which white_lie seems to have dispelled) there would be an issue with the ground wire due to the extra length. This apparently is resolved by using a thicker than normal ground wire.
Don't see why you don't just wack em up under the rear parcel shelf or to the side......save the boot lid for a screen or some 6"ers and tweeters.
Maybe check out some of the galleries on the audio installer web sites to get an idea what can be done and what types of amp racks are available. Seen some wicked drop down ones that tuck the amps up under the parcel shelf with the boot closed and let you have 'em displayed witht the boot open.
Remember....google is your friend :D

gunsrunner
31-01-2011, 04:46 PM
As long as you use good quality amps and as said don't crank the amp to much, most time you will get away with it. but you will reduce the life span of the amp, heat is bad for all electronics.
The problem is the FETS are mounted on a circut board, with the amp the right way up heat rises away and to the heat sinks, when mounted upside down the heat goes straight into the circut board and wont get disappated away. eventualy you will start to get dry joints and that causes higher current draw and more heat and then a componant will fail and you have a dead amp.:mad:
We also live in Oz which is hot in the boot on a good day!!!!
The best idea is the bracket to mount the right way up, or another position. My favorite is under the seats, in the aircon if possible, but don't do this in a 4x4 that likes water crossings.

gto461
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I've read that apart from the heat issues (which white_lie seems to have dispelled) there would be an issue with the ground wire due to the extra length. This apparently is resolved by using a thicker than normal ground wire.
Don't see why you don't just wack em up under the rear parcel shelf or to the side......save the boot lid for a screen or some 6"ers and tweeters.
Maybe check out some of the galleries on the audio installer web sites to get an idea what can be done and what types of amp racks are available. Seen some wicked drop down ones that tuck the amps up under the parcel shelf with the boot closed and let you have 'em displayed witht the boot open.
Remember....google is your friend :D

any pics of the drop down racks...cant seem to google(find em)

RazorSharp
19-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Yer mate I have in my VS Commy. All I did was cut up a peice of sheet metal stuck the amp onto it upside down using screws and bolts. Then drilled more holes around the amp on the sheet metal and then placed the pieces nice and firmly to the boot using nice big bolts so it won't fall like so:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2rfeds4.jpg

gunsrunner
20-02-2011, 02:28 PM
If you don't need to have the amps on display, there is a ton of room in the rear panels, you could fit a couple of pdx's on each side.
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n521/gunsrunner/IMG_0142.jpg?t=1298168773

This is why we bought the older model that had a much bigger boot :D