PDA

View Full Version : Chamois ??

jcute
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Anyone got any tips regarding drying the car - have a Black Maloo - just used a new leather chamois - was crap!! ....have now let the car dry itself ! Would appreciate any suggestions..ta j

gunsrunner
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Try something like this,
http://www.waxit.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=SM2651&cat=17
or this,
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint/microfibre_drying_towel_waffle_weave_x_large/default-33
This is the kit that i got,
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/car_care_products/enthusiasts_cloth_kit

I swapped to MF drying cloth a year ago and will never go back!!!

Stewiecasserole
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Either go with Guns suggestion or get a good synthetic one and keep the leather one for the wheels and other unpainted bits.

HSV271
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Same as the others... stopped using a fricken Chamios on the paintwork years ago and just use it on the wheels / door jams-surrounds / Engine etc. etc. etc...

1MADMAX
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I had the same problem, a leather one that was really shit, so I bought one from super cheap for around $20 and it works a treat. Only problem is, every time the car even looks a bit dusty, I have this strange urge to wash it down and dry it off all nice and shiny. Here's a tip though, get yourself some Bowdens body detail - spray on wipe off. Absolutely bloody magic stuff.

GR8T
03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Anyone got any tips regarding drying the car - have a Black Maloo - just used a new leather chamois - was crap!! ....have now let the car dry itself ! Would appreciate any suggestions..ta j

Been using these for years and find they are better than any leather Chamois on the market.

AION PLAS CHAMOIS ( Synthetic) Size 680 x 430
Made in Japan
Sole Australian Importer - SOJITZ Australia Limited (VIC)
Available at most good Auto part stores.

Just follow the directions on the tube and you be happy just like my Clubby is.

Bigdog1971
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I have been using a leather one for years too, and very happy with it. But last time I replaced it the bloke at Robbo's in Blacktown told me that leather chamois takes the wax off? Anyone heard this before?

jcute
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys ...lots of helpful info' :D

220isenator
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
I prefer to use a microfibre towel as well. Just like drying yourself really. Much easier than a chamois.

blown vy gts
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
i have a black gts firstly i wash in the shade then ok no laughn guys but i get the petrol garden blower out then blow dry majority of the excess water of and out of the spoilers as you know water drips show up easy then i use a microfibre chamios which doesn't leave lint that's my hot tip for the day lol.....

Bigdog1971
03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
So you give your car a blow job.! Now that's loving your car!!

DANMK
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
i have a black gts firstly i wash in the shade then ok no laughn guys but i get the petrol garden blower out then blow dry majority of the excess water of and out of the spoilers as you know water drips show up easy then i use a microfibre chamios which doesn't leave lint that's my hot tip for the day lol.....

hahahahhahaah you can not be serious.. LOL

220isenator
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Got me wondering how I get my car to give me a blowjob now.:o:oops:

blown vy gts
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Got me wondering how I get my car to give me a blowjob now.:o:oops:

well the way i look at it everytime i drive it gives me a hard on so i'm repaying the favour lol...:)

blown vy gts
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
hahahahhahaah you can not be serious.. LOL

oh i a my wife thinks i'm f***ing nuts doing it lol.... but it pretty well gets rid of all the streaks and being black it's a pain.....

blown vy gts
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
So you give your car a blow job.! Now that's loving your car!!

let's see how many guys will try it and own up that they had a shot at it. It's like ya first bash of ya old fella let's wait n c who owns up lmao...:):)

1MADMAX
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
now that's funny, makes sense in a way but still funny as hell. so how do you follow up the blow job on your car?

blown vy gts
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
now that's funny, makes sense in a way but still funny as hell. so how do you follow up the blow job on your car?

just put it back in the shed and cover it back up that's it very boring i know but was thinking this is a parental guidance show.....:)

Bigdog1971
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM

A smoke and a pancake.....

DANMK
04-01-2011, 01:16 AM
let's see how many guys will try it and own up that they had a shot at it. It's like ya first bash of ya old fella let's wait n c who owns up lmao...:):)

HAHAH think nah mate think your on your own with this 1:P

grange250
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Leather chamois is wonderful but they require careful attention themselves. Finding a good quality chamois can be difficult.

They have to be cleaned and then dried after use. When you are ready to dry the car, the chamois should firstly be rinsed and worked in lukewarm water to get the thing working again.

Basically, they require too much work; a good synthetic is almost as good.

nonchalant
06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I got a large Meguairs synthetic chamois a while ago..still works a treat. I've tried a leather one and didnt like it. Love the 'blowjob' idea..lol

Senator01
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Same, same....... took a while but found synthetic chamois better than leather. Also after chamiosing (thinks that's how you spell it?), I go over the car with Meguiars Quick Detailer and Microfibre cloth to get rid of any left over water marks. Brings the car up a treat and the paintwork back to looking schmick.

PPV8
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't use leather, especially on a black car. If there is any dirt still on the car, you will leave swirl marks all over it (been there done that)
Get your self a large waffle weave microfiber towel. You will dry the car in a quarter of the time, you wont be ringing it out ever 2 seconds and you are less likely to leave swirl marks in your paint.
I wash the towel in the machine after every use, just don't use fabric softener.

jcute
23-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks again all - at least most of the thread remained 'clean' !! (pardon the pun) :rolleyes:

neil73
10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
i like the idea of the blower,.. would hate for it to pick up some sand or soil and spray it all over the wet car..

when ever i use the blower in the garden, there is $h!t going everywhere.

SV300
10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Aion chamois as already mentioned. Hard to get now days but have been using for the last 20 years. I replace every 3 or years I guess looking back.

I used to detail cars and this worked well for me.

Worth the effort in getting. I also get from importer and are listed on eBay

J

blown vy gts
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
i like the idea of the blower,.. would hate for it to pick up some sand or soil and spray it all over the wet car..

when ever i use the blower in the garden, there is $h!t going everywhere.

make sure if it's a bag blower you take the bag of first but if it's just a blower start it up away from the car give it a go blow out before going on the car i havn't had any issues...:)

Smithers_73
10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Once I have completely dried the car (with MF drying towel) I get the compressor going and blow compressed air down through all of the panel joints, trims and sections where you can't dry properly with the towel. Works especially well for the honeycomb panel on the back of the E3 and then wipe down again with the towel. The compressed air also works well for blowing the water out from around the wheel nuts.

SV300
31-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Went to local Thrifty Link hardware and checked out their new layout to find that they are now stocking the Aion (old Kanebo brand) chamois in the small size.

Price was around the $20 dollar mark which is pretty good.

GR8T
31-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Went to local Thrifty Link hardware and checked out their new layout to find that they are now stocking the Aion (old Kanebo brand) chamois in the small size.

Price was around the $20 dollar mark which is pretty good.

Did you buy a new one ?

The last one I bought was very sticky when drying the car off, I have used it a dozen times now and it seems to have broken in.
I have been using these for years now,this was the first one that was like this from new.

SV300
31-07-2011, 05:43 PM
No I got from from the importer a few months ago. So got old one for boat and new one for cars.

Should last another couple of years before I need a new one.

jcute
31-07-2011, 08:56 PM
...thanks SV300 - actually went to Autobarn yesterday for some new 'products' : the chamois I now have is great and the wax is awesome .....spent 6 hours today cleaning & waxing 'my baby' - am about to try to upload some photos into 'reflection' thread. Great to see this thread is still going and hopefully assisting others :)

Pickles
01-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Haven't used a "Real" chamois for probably 20 years.
I use a synthetic one, the best one I have at the moment is perforated with little holes....I'd like to buy another like it, but can't find one. It's quite large, & I have a smaller item for doing wheels, trim corners etc.
Cheers, Pickles.

SV300
01-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I do actually remember those ones with the perforations. Very good to use and much the same texture as the Aion ones, but probably thinner feel.

neil73
13-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't use leather, especially on a black car. If there is any dirt still on the car, you will leave swirl marks all over it (been there done that)
Get your self a large waffle weave microfiber towel. You will dry the car in a quarter of the time, you wont be ringing it out ever 2 seconds and you are less likely to leave swirl marks in your paint.
I wash the towel in the machine after every use, just don't use fabric softener.

The car is about 8 weeks old now and I've noticed some slight swirl marks, which I think are from the chamois. Been using the 2 bucket method, so I assumed the car was clean.

Didn't realize a chamois could scratch the car once it's been cleaned.

ESERI3S
13-08-2011, 02:59 PM
two of the biggest leather chamois you can find have a clean surface to put the second one on and tag team em to get it done quickly to prevent watermarks.
take the car for a quick spin if you can get it up to 100km/h to blow all the water out of the crevices then a quick spot chamois and your good!

Yeah I got some of the turlewax ice spray detailer thats pretty handy too!