PDA

View Full Version : Buying an hsv this weekend

gto461
09-11-2010, 05:31 PM
hey all, new to this forum and want to ask you guys and girls some advice.
i am headin to sydney on the weekend to buy an hsv gto z series and was wondering if there is anything in particular i should be looking for.
i have a vy ss ute now so i know the leather wear on the drivers side seat is something to look for...is there anything else to check for
cheers

macca33
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Being the owner of an LS-engined car already will see you in good stead. With a GTO, I'd look for ORIGINAL if possible, otherwise, mods that are not too over the top. I'd consider heads / cam okay, but anything else and I'd be getting it checked THOROUGHLY.

Also, be sure to get the FULL history of the car, logbook, any HSV certificates, original owner details, how many owners there have been, etc. If the car is a one owner, you'd be fairly right, as they were expensive when new, so would have been purchased, for the most part, by mature-aged and responsible people. Of course, there are exceptions.

Check for wear and tear on the seats - the alcantra, or whatever it is, is hard to find and VERY expensive to replace.

Also, check the GM and HSV build plates in the engine bay. The HSV build plate should be dated post-GM build plate date by around a month or maybe a couple at most. Check the engine number - does it match the original one in the logbook, if not ask why not.

Do a HSV authentication on the HSV website, to ensure it is what they say it is.

Also, do a REVS check - VERY important and to be honest, is $50 well spent. You can do it online and the report should tell you the previous owners anyway.

Check the bottom of the front / rear bars and sideskirts to ensure they are not smashed up / cracked and that they are still the oem PLASTIC parts.

Check the brakes - if they are premium brakes and there is a decent lip on the disc, it may be close to replacement time which equals big bucks, so there may be some bargaining room there.

Ran out of ideas, but you get the drift - check EVERYTHING!!

cheers

gto461
09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Being the owner of an LS-engined car already will see you in good stead. With a GTO, I'd look for ORIGINAL if possible, otherwise, mods that are not too over the top. I'd consider heads / cam okay, but anything else and I'd be getting it checked THOROUGHLY.

Also, be sure to get the FULL history of the car, logbook, any HSV certificates, original owner details, how many owners there have been, etc. If the car is a one owner, you'd be fairly right, as they were expensive when new, so would have been purchased, for the most part, by mature-aged and responsible people. Of course, there are exceptions.

Check for wear and tear on the seats - the alcantra, or whatever it is, is hard to find and VERY expensive to replace.

Also, check the GM and HSV build plates in the engine bay. The HSV build plate should be dated post-GM build plate date by around a month or maybe a couple at most. Check the engine number - does it match the original one in the logbook, if not ask why not.

Do a HSV authentication on the HSV website, to ensure it is what they say it is.

Also, do a REVS check - VERY important and to be honest, is $50 well spent. You can do it online and the report should tell you the previous owners anyway.

Check the bottom of the front / rear bars and sideskirts to ensure they are not smashed up / cracked and that they are still the oem PLASTIC parts.

Check the brakes - if they are premium brakes and there is a decent lip on the disc, it may be close to replacement time which equals big bucks, so there may be some bargaining room there.

Ran out of ideas, but you get the drift - check EVERYTHING!!

cheers
hey macca thanks mate...he has done a head and mild cam package as well as otrcai and zorst all carried out by sonny at marranos...sonny has done some work on my car and i know his workshop is one of the best...the guy says he bought it new and is now buying a new merc,,,its got 30000 on the clock looks pretty bloody good....will check out what ya said...thanks again and will post some pics if it becomes mine...cheers

macca33
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Well, if it's been maintained by Sonny and belonged to one of his good customers, then I reckon you'll be onto a plum rig mate. Any work he does is 100% on the money.

cheers

Stewiecasserole
10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Good luck with it all gto...hope to be seeing some pics up real soon :D

Macca....love the new signature too.:D:D:D:D

Pickles
10-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Being a VZ GTO owner myself, I can absolutely confirm that you're buying a classic, & that you'll be very happy.
Macca's "rundown" covers just about everything, nothing I can add there....just make sure you get all the HSV documentation, original compendium etc, maybe the owner still has the "owner's own" free gift that he got when the car was new....you could ask him anyway.
Looking forward to the pics.
Cheers, Pickles.

gto461
10-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Being a VZ GTO owner myself, I can absolutely confirm that you're buying a classic, & that you'll be very happy.
Macca's "rundown" covers just about everything, nothing I can add there....just make sure you get all the HSV documentation, original compendium etc, maybe the owner still has the "owner's own" free gift that he got when the car was new....you could ask him anyway.
Looking forward to the pics.
Cheers, Pickles.

hey thanks pickles i am getting very excited...one question tho for you ...did you get the rear window spoiler as this is one piece of kit i will be putting on her
cheers

Pickles
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
hey thanks pickles i am getting very excited...one question tho for you ...did you get the rear window spoiler as this is one piece of kit i will be putting on her
cheers

We ordered our car from new, and YES, we did specify the rear roof spoiler,deflector. HSV did not want to fit it, because they said it wasn't an option on the VZ....it's a long story!!!.....but,....eventually they did....so it shows on our build papers. We also have the 6 piston AP/HSV brake option....Ours is a yellow auto with the yellow seat option. We love it.
Cheers, Pickles.

STod.
10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I think i know the one your talking about. Good price for the kms and aftermarket bits. Its also enough power for the street IMO, mine has just over 300rwkw.

Cant remember if it had a sunroof or not but if it does, check it thoroughly to find any signs of leaks. Usually its just a seal replacement but sometimes it can be a re-fitting job which is very expensive.

It may also be worth getting it checked by a professional mechanic, one that is familiar with HSVs. Some use a paint thickness gauge to detect refinishes. I was almost about to a buy a GTO then got this done and found that it had been rear ended (dealer knew the whole time).

also check 1st to 2nd shifts.

But macca pretty much summed everything up nicely.

I was in your position about 6 months ago and ended up buying one. Have never regret it, and im sure you wont.

Good luck with it.

gdzook
10-11-2010, 07:59 PM
you will be very happy I have only had mine a few weeks and it is by far the best car I have owned.

Stod, which dealer were you looking at the gto you had inspected? The reason i ask is because after I purchased mine and when it went to paint protection he picked up it has had paint on the rear end and I wonder if it was the same car. It doesnt change how I feel about it though and I got it for a decent price and will keep it for many years to come and I am planning for a respray in about 5 or 6 years when we stop driving it as often.

Scott

STod.
11-11-2010, 01:52 AM
gdzook, it wasn't your one. The one you bought looked to be in extremely good condition even considering the kms. A lot of them do get resprayed, but doesn't necessarily mean it has been in an accident.

The one checked out was with a non HSV dealer in the ACT. When the deal fell through with me, a couple weeks later the same car popped up in Sydney at a HSV dealer as a holden certified car. Really opened my eyes to dealerships. Just feel sorry for the guy that bought it, but then again he probably doesn't know, so its all good. And he is probably enjoying the car just as much as I'm enjoying mine.

gto461
11-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I think i know the one your talking about. Good price for the kms and aftermarket bits. Its also enough power for the street IMO, mine has just over 300rwkw.

Cant remember if it had a sunroof or not but if it does, check it thoroughly to find any signs of leaks. Usually its just a seal replacement but sometimes it can be a re-fitting job which is very expensive.

It may also be worth getting it checked by a professional mechanic, one that is familiar with HSVs. Some use a paint thickness gauge to detect refinishes. I was almost about to a buy a GTO then got this done and found that it had been rear ended (dealer knew the whole time).

also check 1st to 2nd shifts.

But macca pretty much summed everything up nicely.

I was in your position about 6 months ago and ended up buying one. Have never regret it, and im sure you wont.

Good luck with it.

cheers stod, i have emailed sonny and he said the car is immaculate and not a thing wrong with it...will suss out the 1st to 2nd gear changes as ya said...also no sunroof but might get one put in not sure yet...also will be swapping the diff gears to 3.9s i reckon and a procharger in the future...am so hanging out to check it
thanks again fellas

gdzook
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
stod,
God I hate dealers its no wonder they have such a bad name as an industry whole! which dealer in sydney did it go to? I am not sure we are aloud to say but it would be nice to know so other people dont go there. What colour is your gto? I am really so impressed with mine and I think everyone should own a hsv at least once!

Scott

btw, if the gto in question in this thread is a silver 05 on car sales it looks really nice and i'll bet you will be happy.

STod.
12-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Yeah i bought mine with mods, Sams performance did them. Sam said the guy who did the mods never asked about price, and only the best parts went in it. Gives you peace of mind. And a supercharger would be insane, definitely in the future for me, but leaning towards a HVT.

gdzook, not sure which dealer it was, i live in perth so its hard to remember sydney dealerships. I think i have a photo of the car and you can see the background of the dealership so you sydney guys will probably know which dealer it was. If i find it ill post it. And mines black, yours looks mint after you had it detailed.