PDA

View Full Version : 04 Hsv Senator

khello
27-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Hi guys, im new to the site. I was hoping to get some infomation regarding what to look for when looking at a HSV to buy. In Particular the 04 HSV Senator.
This is the ad for it http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=324894499

Im also unsure if the spoiler on it is factory/factory option or been changed?

Any advise will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

whiteman69
27-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi guys, im new to the site. I was hoping to get some infomation regarding what to look for when looking at a HSV to buy. In Particular the 04 HSV Senator.
This is the ad for it http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=324894499

Im also unsure if the spoiler on it is factory/factory option or been changed?

Any advise will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Looks pretty good and very rare in a 6 speed. I would get a mechanic i know and trust to give it a good once over. The usual things like brake rotors and pads for HSV`s can be expensive to replace. Also gearbox noise and front end rubbers etc. Does it have a good service history? If it all looks good i`d go for it.
Could not hurt to take it for a couple of test drives!:)

macca33
27-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I've only got one thing to say to this - BUY IT NOW!

white_lie
27-10-2010, 11:58 AM
The spoiler has been changed to the Clubby/GTS style one.
I prefer the Senator style but you should be able to track one down if you want to change back.

It looks like a nice ride.

grange250
27-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Probably being a Senator, it has been well looked after. The top end models usually get treated a little kinder but you have to be prepared for the usual consumables.
At that mileage, it could be coming up for its second pad/rotor change and possibly wheel bearings - consumables. My WK Grange is now over 200K and apart from pothole damage last week, is in great shape. Find a good service agent and you'll have a dream drive for years.

surfwagon
27-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks fine to me and yes the rear spoiler has been changed.
I prefer the senator spoiler myself as from behind except for the senator badge this looks like a clubby or GTS.

hsvls2
27-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Not 100% sure but didn't the VY/VZ Senators only come in auto? pretty sure they are the VY GTS wheels as well, sure the VY Senator had the 'wider style' 5 spoke wheel.

Cheers.

macca33
27-10-2010, 09:45 PM
There were definitely manual Y series Senators - I've seen a few and up until recently, was the owner of a very special manual VX Senator, that was in one piece. Nowadays, thanks to a moron, it is a bit shorter and rougher than it was. :mad:

You could also option the larger rear spoiler when ordering the car.

A simple check is to look at the Holden compliance plate - Trans should read MM6.

cheers

zclubby
27-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Not 100% sure but didn't the VY/VZ Senators only come in auto? pretty sure they are the VY GTS wheels as well, sure the VY Senator had the 'wider style' 5 spoke wheel.

Cheers.

I thought the same, only autos. I guess you learn somthing new everyday. Now that I have learnt something I can go to bed.

There aren't VY GTS wheels either.

XR8TEDVY2
28-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Nice ride !! The wheels are VX GTS lookalike wheels btw.

whiteman69
29-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Probably being a Senator, it has been well looked after. The top end models usually get treated a little kinder but you have to be prepared for the usual consumables.
At that mileage, it could be coming up for its second pad/rotor change and possibly wheel bearings - consumables. My WK Grange is now over 200K and apart from pothole damage last week, is in great shape. Find a good service agent and you'll have a dream drive for years.

Yes this one does, but i have seen some beaten up senators and granges about.

khello
29-10-2010, 04:39 PM
hi guys,
a big thank you to all that posted here. some great advise and tips.
I went and had a look at the car today and unfortunatly it was not as good as the pictures may have suggested.
-the drivers seat had a decent sized cut/tear in the leather
-the general condition of the leather interior was old and tired. (doesnt help that its a cream colour i guess)
-front bumper and bonnet have a millioin paint chips and require a respray

also learned that the owner is a plasterer and was using this as a work hack and hence the poor condition of the interior.

It is a real pitty that a car of this calibre was used in that way and allowed to get to that condition.

But other wise the car seemed really good and i wish it was in better condition because i would have jumped at it. i still do wonder if its still worth me getting it and then getting seats re-covered and resprayed??

cheers

MR323
30-10-2010, 11:45 AM
But other wise the car seemed really good and i wish it was in better condition because i would have jumped at it. i still do wonder if its still worth me getting it and then getting seats re-covered and resprayed??

cheers[/QUOTE]

Mate, in all honesty it's not worth it, as by what your saying is that the car was used for work therefore meaning that it has not been look after therefore future problems. Now for the seats it will cost you 3000+ to recover the seats plus 800+ respray the front.

Just be patient and look for a better one