PDA

View Full Version : Vz HSV GTO Coupe

gdzook
19-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Guys,
This is my first post as I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Hsv Gto. I was looking for opinions about the price etc.
It is a black 6 speed 06 GTO with black interior. It is really clean and has 96000km(down side). It has hsv service history and a few mods like stainless exhaust and to be honest I am not 100% sure of the factory options such as brakes etc. The dealer is asking $46900 and will only take $46000.

What do you guys think?

Scott

Krisiun
19-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Fair price I say.

gdzook
19-10-2010, 09:13 PM
i think it seems ok its a pity the dealer is such a pain, they refuse to budge even for cash and wont return phone calls, I may just have to give into them!
Scott

gdzook
19-10-2010, 09:43 PM
sorry to be a pain guys but the only other gto i am interested in is a tough one which way do u think i should go? So the other one is a vz 05 black 6 speed gto with 29k's and can be bought for 44k. The only problem is it was badged vxr monaro and sent to england where its owner decided to move here and bring his car with him, to his knowledge it is the only one in the country as when holden issued compliance papers and plate they had never done it before. Does this make it worth more or less long term? if this car stayed in oz it would be a no brainer but its a bit of a tough one as i said.

Scott

Pickles
20-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't like the sound of either of those cars, one is not an Aussie GTO, & the other has done high ks.....there are a few about, & you can do better.....so DO NOT be in a hurry......I've owned a VZ GTO myself from new, and I can tell you they are a magnificent vehicle....we've done 73Ks in ours.
You should be looking at a low K ORIGINAL vehicle, with all HSV books, compendiums etc, & a full service history.
For signs of tough use/neglect etc, take a close look at the driver's seat bolsters....careless owners rub against them as they get in & out causing wear on the edges.....it is not cheap to fix.
There are three different brake options.
If you have any further questions, post 'em up.....but when, & if, you buy one, you'll be stoked.....6 litres of LS2 in a Coupe.....ya can't beat that.....and don't worry about the A4.....it works very well with the LS2.
Cheers, Pickles.

gdzook
20-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your reply I agree on both points in my head but the only other issue is money, do you think if I wait an 05 or 06 will come up around 46k? most of the ones I have seen are a lot more expensive, I am happy to wait if you guys think one will come along.

Scott

Pickles
20-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Check out Car Sales. com.....there's always plenty on there for around the $50K mark & a bit under.
A friend of mine picked up a ripper with 42ks on it for under $50k....remember, the asking price is just that....the asking price....they're not that easy to sell....everything is negotiable.....if you can pay $45/50k, you'll eventually find a good one.....be patient.
Cheers, Pickles.

grange250
21-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Don't worry about the Km distance driven, it is how they came about that is the issue. A taxi and an interstate cruiser can have the same Km but the wear and tear on the cruiser will be negligible. Used to taKe a vehicle NSW/WA round trip three times a year. If that 40,000 had been constant city driving, the damage would have enormous; as it was, it was only a minor brush with a kangaroo.
Service always at the same place? Services always on time? All paperwork for additional work? Look for the original owner name in the LogBook and try to contact. You might even find out the trade price and reason traded. Dealer might even welcome a contact with the previous owner as a sweetener to purchase.
The purchase price is a relatively minor concern; the cost through life will be the important one.

Pickles
21-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Don't worry about the Km distance driven, it is how they came about that is the issue. A taxi and an interstate cruiser can have the same Km but the wear and tear on the cruiser will be negligible. Used to taKe a vehicle NSW/WA round trip three times a year. If that 40,000 had been constant city driving, the damage would have enormous; as it was, it was only a minor brush with a kangaroo.
Service always at the same place? Services always on time? All paperwork for additional work? Look for the original owner name in the LogBook and try to contact. You might even find out the trade price and reason traded. Dealer might even welcome a contact with the previous owner as a sweetener to purchase.
The purchase price is a relatively minor concern; the cost through life will be the important one.
Grange, I hear what you say, & I take your point about a long distance cruiser, but ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, mileage is very important on a car like a GTO, particularly if it's going to be your "toy", "pride & joy", or long term keeper etc.
There is always the exception of course, but most cars generally do the same sort of use, if I'm buying a VE Commodore as an everyday hack, I would always try for the lower K car, but in a classic like a GTO, I wouldn't settle for anything but.
I've never seen a super hi k GTO, but I've seen a few with around 100ks on them, & the ones with 40/50ks are always superior, particulary with respect to the leather seats, stone chips etc etc.
There are of course cars that have done a lot of Ks that are still OK, but if you get a low k car that's been well looked after, it will be better, or at least...it should be!
Of course, we do agree on service history!
Some people do not have a problem with Ks, I'm one that does, particularly when I'm buying a classic. My experience has been that although I may have to pay a bit more (not ridiculously more!) to start with, because I don't have to make any repairs etc to bring the vehicle up to my requirements, Im better off paying a bit more for what I feel is the right car! And, even if I do the repairs, at extra cost, I've still got a high K car.
I certainly don't expect anyone or everyone to agree with me, so I'd welcome your opinions.
Cheers, Pickles.

VX15ANNIV
21-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Just for your info... a mate spotted one in a yard in Launny this week, little bit older than what you are looking for as it is a 2003 with 46ks and asking around the $46k, we thought that was a bit rich even though the vehicle is a beauty.
Red with red leather.

gdzook
22-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys for all your help, I ended up buying the aussie one with 96k as I took a dealer friend with me and he was suprised buy the condition and lack of wear on the interior etc, got it for 45k with 3 year holden warrantee and it is a one owner with full service history at the same place, only 1 or 2 chips otherwise great condition.
Drove it home today in peak hour m5 traffic which was fun, coming from a gt forester it is very very different in a good way.We only do about 6000k's a year so hopefully I will have it a very long time.

Scott

Pickles
23-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys for all your help, I ended up buying the aussie one with 96k as I took a dealer friend with me and he was suprised buy the condition and lack of wear on the interior etc, got it for 45k with 3 year holden warrantee and it is a one owner with full service history at the same place, only 1 or 2 chips otherwise great condition.
Drove it home today in peak hour m5 traffic which was fun, coming from a gt forester it is very very different in a good way.We only do about 6000k's a year so hopefully I will have it a very long time.

Scott
CONGRATULATIONS....You have bought a classic....the only Coupe with a 6L LS2...You will LOVE it....I feel good just sitting in mine!
Some ownership/driving impressions would be good.
Cheers, Pickles.

HSV V8
23-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Excellent news, yeah the km's didnt bother me when buying mine condition is way more important to me :)

Mine has 106k on it and is in better coniditon than the ones i was looking at with 60k/70k on the clocks, plus i bagged it for $7k cheaper lol

Anyway get piccys up :)

gdzook
23-10-2010, 09:36 PM
thanks guys i will put some pics up soon, i may do some before and after as on friday it is going to the fella who does my paint protection it takes 12 hours and he dvd's the whole process... i cant wait!
As for driving i didnt get to do much today but my wife was doing power runs with her friends even though she can only just reach the pedals! I love the sound it is addictive to say the least. From the 5.0l i have owned before this thing is decidedly grumpy it almost sounds worked but as i havent owned a hsv before i assume they are all like that which is cool.
Compared to the forester it does feel a little heavy in corners but the power delievry is much more linear, another thing that is good is that in the 2.5h of m5 trafiic I was in yesterday I wasnt getting heaps of looks like I used to in my supra or skyline but only from people who know what it is. This is a good thing as we wont be affraid to drive it like we would be if it did draw lots of attention. Anyway I will post pics soon.

Scott

Pickles
24-10-2010, 01:21 PM
"Paint Protection"?......what do you mean by that......surely not that stuff that dealers try to sell you on a new car?
Cheers, Pickles.

gdzook
24-10-2010, 03:09 PM
No not the dealer stuff its an american product called glaire infinity plus and I was a sceptic but once I did it I was converted! This guy is a fanatic and the way I see it if anyone is willing to guarantee their product and dvd the process it is worth it. Once its done I would love to show people who would like to see it as the difference really is chaulk and cheese. They buff the car, clay block it use a prep coat and then apply two coats of glaire. Look it up on the net, I spent weeks researching products before I bought my new forester xt and it really is great.

Scott

gdzook
24-10-2010, 04:54 PM
here are some pics please excuse them as they were taken from my i phone but these will be the before pics.

Scott

HSV V8
24-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Looks sweet :)

Cant wait to see the detail piccys :)

Krisiun
24-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Very nice, enjoy the GTO. Black looks tuff!!

surfwagon
25-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice GTO, looks in great condition.

VX15ANNIV
25-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Well done gdzook, looks tops, but you know black is hard to keep clean so I hope you enjoy washing..:-P

gdzook
25-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys for all your input and well wishes and yes black is a pain but I really feel it is the right colour the the gto so its worth it.
On another note I went for a drive tonight and have decided that this is the best and coolest car I have owned and I have had a few! I thought my TT Supra was fun to drive but when you get up this thing 160kmh comes up mighty fast and that sound OMG. I can really see me owning this car for a long time as I cant see anything else I would want in a car, to me it has it all. So from now on I am completely converted from turbo cars this is so much fun. Everyone should own a hsv at some time I sure wish I did earlier. It may not handle as well as some of the jap cars I have had but who cares everything else more than makes up for it.

Scott

nonchalant
26-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Car (and paint) looks sweet :)

Im wondering if the stuff they used is the same stuff I used on my car. It used to be sold through www.paintprotection.com.au but last time I looked it seems they have changed the product they market. Im sure the one they used to sell was called infinity plus..I'll take a look at the bottle when I get home. But yea if its the same gear its awesome and unlike any other polish I've used before. Plus its hard as nails and dirt doesnt seem to stick to it as easily. As they advertised on their site, driving the car in the rain actually cleans it lol. I know they used to offer a professional service on their site to have someone apply the treatment for you but you can also do it yourself for a lot less $$

gdzook
26-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes thats the same one but its an upgraded version of the same product, I have had it applied professionally and done it myself befor and certainly paying him to do it was a better end result, I cant wait till its done and take some photos it should be better than new.

Scott

gdzook
31-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi guys here are the after pics, I dropped it off friday at 10am and picked it up today at 3pm he was working on it most of the time and it really is a beautiful job, there are a few imperfections he found but in normal daylight you cant see them, I will post a u-tube link of the whole process tomorrow.lt's amazing how bad the paint looks once it is de-waxed and all the dealer product used to hide stuff is removed.

gdzook
31-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Here is a before pic in the same white light.

surfwagon
31-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The after pics look awesome, great work.
Wish I had the time and patience to get mine to that standard.
My whole car looks like the guard behind your wheel in the before pic after a weekend away to Mudgee.

gdzook
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM
if anyone else is interested I am sure I could get him to do it for trade price for members. It cost $750 and for that he did nearly two days work! I also paid another $250 for the leather and fabric protection and it looks like a brand new car!

Scott

gdzook
02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
heres the u-tube links

http://www.youtube.com/user/glareforyou#p/u/7/yeR-Wsetl6U

&

http://www.youtube.com/user/glareforyou#p/u/10/dHC5OogGEkA

Scott