PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a 2001 VU maloo R8

Steve O
12-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey,
I'm new to the forums and am looking at buying a 2001 maloo r8. I was wondering if there is anything i should look out for apart from the usual (clutch shudders, smoke, cv's).
Also what are the vu maloos like in general as i dont see too many of them around, although that may just be my area i guess.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Gaffa
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey mate,
I recently purchased a 2001 maloo with 95000km on the clock. Make sure you get a pre purchase inspection before hand as I didn't and it ended up costing me 4 grand to get the ute up to scratch. Apart from that little mishap its an absolute pleasure to drive and I'd defiantly recommend them. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me!

young maloo93
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
hey mate. got a red vu r8 maloo. very mint car but these days they always have a problem or two. mine has a brake shudder every know and then but thats it. you had any luck?

Oldslowdriver
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
We have been looking for a VU Maloo. We already have a VX R8 and would like a ute to match.

Reading the review on Wikipedia shows only 301 Series I being built and 483 Series II.

Not a large production I know. To make matters worse we are in New Zealand and want a RED Maloo and Automatic.

Does anyone have any figures as to how many were produced in each colour and how many are automatic?

I saw a listing somewhere saying that there were way less Auto's than manuals.

E3VAN
20-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I was given a list about 5-6years ago from HSV Customer Service on how many of VU Maloo's were made (both std & R8) how many were manual and how many were auto.. in regards to the colour.. HSV dont keep that on record (or so i was told) you would have to go back thru all the build sheets to work out how many of every was built in what colour...

not a great deal of help i know, but its what i was told at the time...

Best thing to do would be contact HSV themselves, if you have one already, im sure they would be willing to help out if they can....

Cheers Rohan

Oldslowdriver
21-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.