PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on new paint

HSV MAX
26-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi All, My Vt Clubbie is getting a full respray( panther Mica) and im wondering what is the best method and product to protect virgin paint and keep it looking as new.

any tips would be great Thanx

1MADMAX
26-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Love your work, there's nothing like an HSV loolking it's best with a pristine paint job. I am needing to do the same with my beasty on account of previous owner not being careful, how much is the respray costing you? I don't want to change colours or anything, mine is ignition I think it's called... I wonder how much it would cost to respray? So if you don't mind sharing the numbers, how much?

cheers

HSV MAX
27-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Ya Maxy, Including removing all the small ripples, shopping trolley pock marks and the factory blemishes was going to cost me $4500 BUT as allways happens when your chasing a top job, more is found once you scratch the surface!!
Ive had to replace the rear spoiler due to bad casting at HSV, front bar had a crack in it, rust around the factory sunroof, rust in front screen pillars due to dodgey windscreen fitment so ive just factored in another $1000 so far and i still have to fork out for the color sanding as i want her to be as smooth as glass( prob another $200).

Soooo much money but shes worth it.

Im putting up some more pics soon of the rust and prep work.
Hope this helps mate

1MADMAX
27-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, I had no idea it was that expensive, but as you say it is totally worth the money... I can't wait to see your pics as the project develops. I wonder though, how are you ever going to be able to park anywhere without armed guards and dogs protecting your ride? However, it'll be far to nice to leave at home..... I know I would have to go out in it as often as I could, just to enjoy it to the MAX! :D Ah one day I will, one day. I think the toughest part will be not being able to drive and enjoy my ride while the work is being done, I guess it's a bit like wanting the cake and wanting to eat it too!
Good luck with your project, I hope there aren't too many more surprises there for you.

Krew-Zing
04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
What about i think its called "clear lacker"

would it effect the paint in anyway?

because i was thinking of getting my car resprayed and then have a few coats of clear lacker put over it as a thicker buffer for any minor/medium things that might happen to the paint.

HSV MAX
08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Ummm, if you mean clear lacquer as in paint, yes im getting 3 extra coats so if any marks do appear in years to come ive got a few extra microns of clear to color sand away before i get to the paint, but it doers cost a few $$$ more tho but well worth it i reckon, just dont go stupid and bung on loads of extra clear as it makes the whole car look plastic and you start to loose body sharpness

Krew-Zing
11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Ahh cheers man yeh thats what im talking about.

put up some pics when its done :):)??

HSV MAX
11-11-2010, 08:19 PM
No wuckers mate, ive put some new pics up in another thread, its all one color now , just gotta get all the bolt ons bolted on