PDA

View Full Version : Hsv wheel cleaner (fail)

duck
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
:mad:I was given a bottle of the spray on HSV wheel cleaner (made by sonax) by my local dealer free of charge to try as my usual eagle one product was out of stock, Well I tried it today (on my 07 ve maloo with cold wheels) and #$%^ me it cleaned the rims real good, RIGHT TO THE POINT IT MADE THE PAINT RUN ON MY CALIPERS, anybody else had a similar disaster, (yes i followed the instructions)

Pickles
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
:mad:I was given a bottle of the spray on HSV wheel cleaner (made by sonax) by my local dealer free of charge to try as my usual eagle one product was out of stock, Well I tried it today (on my 07 ve maloo with cold wheels) and #$%^ me it cleaned the rims real good, RIGHT TO THE POINT IT MADE THE PAINT RUN ON MY CALIPERS, anybody else had a similar disaster, (yes i followed the instructions)
That is a not uncommon occurrence.....Many of these wheel cleaners advise keeping the stuff off the calipers for that very reason...as the paint on the calipers is nowhere near as durable as rim finishes.
I have used that product, but only on the rims....I do the brake calipers with a weak dishwashing fluid mix & a soft brush.
Cheers, Pickles

Stewiecasserole
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds like an acid based cleaner. What did it say on the can as far as what not to spray it on? If you've followed the instructions and there was no warning then get them to respray your calipers.

Stewiecasserole
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Mmmmm I'll take back the acid based comment. Just googles the product.
Try sending an email to Sonax expressing your utter dissapointment in the fact that the product should match the application it is marketed for.....and that they should have taken into consideration that the paint could melt as pickles pointed out due to being weaker than rim finishes.
Stand your ground.
mailto:sonax@sonax.com.au

LS3 050
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
The sonax wheel cleaner usually comes as a freeby when you buy a new hsv, i got some with my car and know of others getting it with theirs. I've used it heaps on my rims without caliper paint problems, It does a great job getting the brake dust and other crap off the rims, and i haven't been trying to avoid hitting the calipers with it either.

Did you deliberately spray it on the calipers, or are you talking about overspray?

scottsr8
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I use it and spray it directly on the calipers and never had a problem! Have used a good 15-20 bottles

Pickles
05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I use it and spray it directly on the calipers and never had a problem! Have used a good 15-20 bottles
Well I say, good luck to you, and I'm glad it's worked that way for you. What sort of brakes do you have?
I have the AP/HSV 6 spot brakes on the GTO, & I would NEVER do that....even the smallest amount of brake fluid marks the paint on them, so you can imagine what a powerful wheel cleaner would do!
Cheers, Pickles.

VZHSVDT
06-06-2010, 05:27 PM
same thing happened to me i sprayed some onto the wheel and thought it would be safe for the caliper to. instead i saw some nice orange paint running :mad:

scottsr8
07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Well I say, good luck to you, and I'm glad it's worked that way for you. What sort of brakes do you have?
I have the AP/HSV 6 spot brakes on the GTO, & I would NEVER do that....even the smallest amount of brake fluid marks the paint on them, so you can imagine what a powerful wheel cleaner would do!
Cheers, Pickles.

I have ve clubby they are still like brand new!! and of course brake fluid will mark paint its one hell of a bloody lot harsher than a wheel cleaner thats been tested many times. Think about it a bit :roll:

Pickles
07-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I have ve clubby they are still like brand new!! and of course brake fluid will mark paint its one hell of a bloody lot harsher than a wheel cleaner thats been tested many times. Think about it a bit :roll:
Well you're very lucky aren't you.....because there's some on here that have had the problem.
Cheers, Pickles.

scottsr8
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
well maybe they have changed the finish on the 08 onwards models because i know of atleast 5 other owners that swear by this gear!! Must just be a dodgy batch.
At the end of the day they are a budget performance car made with budget in mind!!! so we cant really expect too greater quality parts.

Did you try and clean your brakes with brake fluid wouldnt suprise me by the sounds of it!!

LS3 050
07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Mines an 08 model, and as i said i've used sonax wheel cleaner without any problems, so perhaps they have improved the caliper paint finish?

quityabitchn
07-06-2010, 06:41 PM

does it have any expiry date?

duck
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Spoke to the dealer, they reckon the same thing,

duck
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
well maybe they have changed the finish on the 08 onwards models because i know of atleast 5 other owners that swear by this gear!! Must just be a dodgy batch.
At the end of the day they are a budget performance car made with budget in mind!!! so we cant really expect too greater quality parts.

Did you try and clean your brakes with brake fluid wouldnt suprise me by the sounds of it!!

no dill brain didn't you read the original post

scottsr8
08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
no dill brain didn't you read the original post

If you read through the other post it wasn't directed at you bell end :rolleyes:

Dazzz
08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I know this thread is a bit old but no one has mentioned that the sonax wheel cleaner turns a red/orange colour when it reacts with brake dust.

Are you sure it re-acted with the paint on the calipers or was it just the cleaner?
--
Dazzz