PDA

View Full Version : GTS VE Buying Tips & the FX of lowering

HSVR8VEE-E
24-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi guys
Newby here is considering his first HSV purchase (And first performance car)
I have sat and watched carsales for around 7 months now (to get a feel for price and options) and read through some of the threads from round here
I keep coming back to a 2007 GTS

With the experience of you guys I need to learn what to look out for when buying (tips, tricks and questions) ... trust me, I need all the help I can get!

I noticed quite of few cars on the market have their ride height lowered (Normally by walkinshaw)
Is there some way of telling a pro job from a backyarder and wondered if lowering a GTS upsets the MRC? and
what is the legal ground clearance in Victoria?

Also common mods seem to be cold intake exhaust upgrade and ride height lowered, should I start with a stock vehicle or save the $ by buying with mods?
And how many K's is to many (100,000?)

Thanks again guys
Mark

Stewiecasserole
24-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice choice of ride dude. If it has been lowered by Walkinshaw then it's the biz. Cant help with legal ride heights in Vic but that info will arrive shortly.
The ride can be lowered without affecting the MRC but I think it is to a max of only 25mm...but it could be 20mm.
As for CAI or OTR mods....they're pretty straight forward and what you should be looking at it the quality of the finish as a good indicator as to a pro v owner install.
Exhausts either make it sound how you like or not....if you like it then ask who did it and ask to see the reciept...still under warranty?
Kays usually run around 25k a year for a daily driver. If the seller says it wasn't a daily driver but it has more than 75k on it for a 2007 model then I'd be thinking twice. High km will just drop the price more.....and it does depend on weather they were hard or soft kays too. See if you can lull them into a false sense of security and get them to tell you how sick their best burn-out was or what was the toughest ride they smoked or what the thing does down the quarter.....run like fark if you get an answer to any of those.
Physically check that the thing has a service history..don't just take the dude's word. Ask what type of oil he has used and how often he dropped it....usually for these engines good owners will drop it in-between service intervals.
As for stock or modded...up to you really. If you are happy with a mildly modded ride and the price is right then take it. If you are happy with a stock to either keep stock or mod yourself then spend the extra....you will know if it's worth it either way....savings v costs of modding yourself with piece of mind.

If it has had a mafless tune then be careful coz you'll be stuck with the tuner that did the original tune.....ask that question here as to weather they are any good when it pops up.
Being a 2007 model you should still be just under original warranty...if this is the case be careful if it is modded 'coz it could well void warranty. If you're not sure....take it to a dealer and ask if it is still covered with the mods....don't ring em....take it into them and let them look at it.
Well that's my 2 cents worth Mark. The rest of the gang will be along shortly with more info....and most likely better info too :lol:
Last thing....if anyone gives you sh!t saying come back later or anything smarmy or rude...just rip into em.....it's uncalled for.
Good luck and welcome.:D

HSVR8VEE-E
24-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice choice of ride dude. If it has been lowered by Walkinshaw then it's the biz. Cant help with legal ride heights in Vic but that info will arrive shortly.
The ride can be lowered without affecting the MRC but I think it is to a max of only 25mm...but it could be 20mm.
As for CAI or OTR mods....they're pretty straight forward and what you should be looking at it the quality of the finish as a good indicator as to a pro v owner install.
Exhausts either make it sound how you like or not....if you like it then ask who did it and ask to see the reciept...still under warranty?
Kays usually run around 25k a year for a daily driver. If the seller says it wasn't a daily driver but it has more than 75k on it for a 2007 model then I'd be thinking twice. High km will just drop the price more.....and it does depend on weather they were hard or soft kays too. See if you can lull them into a false sense of security and get them to tell you how sick their best burn-out was or what was the toughest ride they smoked or what the thing does down the quarter.....run like fark if you get an answer to any of those.
Physically check that the thing has a service history..don't just take the dude's word. Ask what type of oil he has used and how often he dropped it....usually for these engines good owners will drop it in-between service intervals.
As for stock or modded...up to you really. If you are happy with a mildly modded ride and the price is right then take it. If you are happy with a stock to either keep stock or mod yourself then spend the extra....you will know if it's worth it either way....savings v costs of modding yourself with piece of mind.

If it has had a mafless tune then be careful coz you'll be stuck with the tuner that did the original tune.....ask that question here as to weather they are any good when it pops up.
Being a 2007 model you should still be just under original warranty...if this is the case be careful if it is modded 'coz it could well void warranty. If you're not sure....take it to a dealer and ask if it is still covered with the mods....don't ring em....take it into them and let them look at it.
Well that's my 2 cents worth Mark. The rest of the gang will be along shortly with more info....and most likely better info too :lol:
Last thing....if anyone gives you sh!t saying come back later or anything smarmy or rude...just rip into em.....it's uncalled for.
Good luck and welcome.:D
Wow, that was both quick and informative Stewie...I know "newby questions" can be tedious.... thanks for taking the time
BTW, (on the second maket) how much does Walkinshaw suspension add to asking price?
And how many major and minor service intervals (Kms) should I be looking for

HSVE01
25-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey mate welcome along and you have your eye on a nice ride in the GTS. I took my time finding the right one so well done for being patient and not compulsive. Don't have time for a long speal right now but I do know that brand new the W/P lowered springs set you back around $800 fitted. For me, the mod would add only maybe $250 or so to an asking price, depending on how fresh (new) the mod is. I got mine stock standard but I would have been open to a nicely modded example (with reputable brands). Like Stewie said always good to view a few receipts and ask where the work was done. Even go as far as googling the workshop etc for a bit of background. Cheers

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey mate welcome along and you have your eye on a nice ride in the GTS. I took my time finding the right one so well done for being patient and not compulsive. Don't have time for a long speal right now but I do know that brand new the W/P lowered springs set you back around $800 fitted. For me, the mod would add only maybe $250 or so to an asking price, depending on how fresh (new) the mod is. I got mine stock standard but I would have been open to a nicely modded example (with reputable brands). Like Stewie said always good to view a few receipts and ask where the work was done. Even go as far as googling the workshop etc for a bit of background. Cheers
Thanks HSVE01, seems like a great place round here!
Interesting comments re suspension
I'm looking forward to your spiel (if you have the time), I want to be prepared as I can as I'd hate to be the bunny that buy's someone’s issues ...:)
One thing I have noted though, clean, stock & low K vehicles sell through quick, was wondering if anyone have advice of the actual sell price versus the advertised price (I don’t want to offer low ball & insult people, as well as not pay to much), PM is fine if price is sensitive topic
One last thing, Initially I had my eye on a clubby thinking that a GTS was out of my reach, it seems lately that the advertised price of the two has narrowed making the GTS (to me) not only affordable buy a better buy

quityabitchn
25-05-2010, 07:54 PM
some other things you should look at is the mags and underbelly of the car. this will give you a good indication if it has been on the track or not. signs are the mags have been repainted or the under belly has scrathes on from been the gravel etc etc. maybe have holden check the car over, get them to plug the car into the computer, get them to check the auto out as well, this is a problem for you too check as it can only be done by holden themselves. check out the service history, ring the people in the book to check it out. Also you if it is not a one owner ring the people that bought the car originally and ask them ehy they sold the car. This info will be in the front on the manual. i hope i have shed some light on the subject that the others maybe did not have time to list.
But mate when you find the right car you will love it. i cant stop smiling when i drive mine..
cheers

Stewiecasserole
25-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Service intervals are at 15k with a reccomended one at 7.7k. Check the log book out as they have detailed info re servicing......mine has anyway.
Good point made by quityabitchin re track work.
Hot Blonde was selling an 08 cloubby R8 (I think) with only 11,000km on the clock.......man had left apparently so she wants rid of the ride (like that hasn't already just happened:lol:). Worth a look....could get two rides for the price of one.......that's gunna come back and smash me in the nads for sure.....but what the hey....you all know you were going down that track too so don't judge me :p
What $$$ are you finding for how many km? What's your budget too?
Happy hunting Mark.

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Service intervals are at 15k with a reccomended one at 7.7k. Check the log book out as they have detailed info re servicing......mine has anyway.
Good point made by quityabitchin re track work.
Hot Blonde was selling an 08 cloubby R8 (I think) with only 11,000km on the clock.......man had left apparently so she wants rid of the ride (like that hasn't already just happened:lol:). Worth a look....could get two rides for the price of one.......that's gunna come back and smash me in the nads for sure.....but what the hey....you all know you were going down that track too so don't judge me :p
What $$$ are you finding for how many km? What's your budget too?
Happy hunting Mark.
Yup, noticed the clubby for sale
With my head stuck with the GTS I didn’t follow the thread, but hey, if the price is right maybe I should re consider! (Er that’s for the car right :D)

Now this is going to sound nuts, and will explain the 7month hunt, as my original budget was 43K (Minimum based on advertised prices) for a clubby, ....then as time went on I realized that for 5K extra I could get into a GTS, then there was options ... and most cars I seem to like are in QLD or SA Grrrrrrr
Anyway I’d say if I could get into aa GTS for 45 K (for a good one) I'd be happy
Also noted quite a few leased cars on the market, this is why I was interested if sellers were dropping prices for guys who had cheque book in hand, I also know some car yards are ony offering 41 as a trade in (for the GTS) …. so I figured if the seller could get 45K privately they'd be happier

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 09:25 PM
some other things you should look at is the mags and underbelly of the car. this will give you a good indication if it has been on the track or not. signs are the mags have been repainted or the under belly has scrathes on from been the gravel etc etc. maybe have holden check the car over, get them to plug the car into the computer, get them to check the auto out as well, this is a problem for you too check as it can only be done by holden themselves. check out the service history, ring the people in the book to check it out. Also you if it is not a one owner ring the people that bought the car originally and ask them ehy they sold the car. This info will be in the front on the manual. i hope i have shed some light on the subject that the others maybe did not have time to list.
But mate when you find the right car you will love it. i cant stop smiling when i drive mine..
cheers

Great tips, thanks!
Quick question though, would the owner mind if I ask them to take it down to a dealer for a health check?, And has anyone had experience with this if car is located interstate?
Your right I canít wait till the day it all happens...
I've given youtube a beating in anticipation

Stewiecasserole
25-05-2010, 09:50 PM
This one has been advertised in the HSV owners club mag her in Vic....I assume your in town somewhere? Has been there for a number of months and you might be able to smack her down quite a bit....I'd start at 10k under and work up if your interested.
The ads is on page 20 of the mag which is in PDF format.

http://www.hsvownersclub.com.au/download/May%202010.pdf

let me know if the link doesn't work.

scottsr8
25-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I think around 20,000kms and about $48,000k to $50,000 would be a good starting point. And also brakes are a big $$$ fix if worn at around 3k also as far as im led to believe the MRC suspension on the GTS is also around $1000 a corner to replace which soon adds up on to purchase price if need be!
Also check to see that it has original rims on it at $8500 with original tyres they are pretty sought after second hand in good condition because ya dont want to get stuck with fakes worth stuff all and most probably failing one day...

LS3 050
25-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Great tips, thanks!
Quick question though, would the owner mind if I ask them to take it down to a dealer for a health check?, And has anyone had experience with this if car is located interstate?
Your right I canít wait till the day it all happens...
I've given youtube a beating in anticipation

You will be able to take any car that is for sale to a mechanic for a "health check" no problem. If the seller doesn't oblige, WALK AWAY, they obviously have something to hide!!! You wear the cost for the inspection, but you will get piece of mind in the end.

If the car is interstate, look up/google their local yellow pages - pick a mechanic and ask seller to drop car off there for an inspection at your cost. This eleviates problems with seller getting inspection from "dodgy brothers mechanics" that he just may be mates with who could write a dodgy report in his favour.

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I think around 20,000kms and about $48,000k to $50,000 would be a good starting point. And also brakes are a big $$$ fix if worn at around 3k also as far as im led to believe the MRC suspension on the GTS is also around $1000 a corner to replace which soon adds up on to purchase price if need be!
Also check to see that it has original rims on it at $8500 with original tyres they are pretty sought after second hand in good condition because ya dont want to get stuck with fakes worth stuff all and most probably failing one day...
Wow.. thanks, Err sorry for the dumb arse Q but how do I spot a fake?

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 10:24 PM
You will be able to take any car that is for sale to a mechanic for a "health check" no problem. If the seller doesn't oblige, WALK AWAY, they obviously have something to hide!!! You wear the cost for the inspection, but you will get piece of mind in the end.

If the car is interstate, look up/google their local yellow pages - pick a mechanic and ask seller to drop car off there for an inspection at your cost. This eleviates problems with seller getting inspection from "dodgy brothers mechanics" that he just may be mates with who could write a dodgy report in his favour.
Ok, makes perfect sense, thank you

scottsr8
25-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow.. thanks, Err sorry for the dumb arse Q but how do I spot a fake?

The fake rims dont have HSV cast into the back (behind the spoke/s) just feel around behind the rims or when you get a mechanic to inspect get them to have a look. also if all the rims are 8" wide there is a problem as the rears are 9.5" wide.

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 10:30 PM
This one has been advertised in the HSV owners club mag her in Vic....I assume your in town somewhere? Has been there for a number of months and you might be able to smack her down quite a bit....I'd start at 10k under and work up if your interested.
The ads is on page 20 of the mag which is in PDF format.

http://www.hsvownersclub.com.au/download/May%202010.pdf

let me know if the link doesn't work.
Worked just fine thanks, Im actaully around the corner from Lower Plenty (Im in Viewbank)
BTW, PM sent

Stewiecasserole
25-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Go here and look at post # 22 from Richo
http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=5834

HSVR8VEE-E
25-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all ... better get to bed!

HSVR8VEE-E
27-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Must be a miss print, I contacted the seller, turns out the vehicle was sold last year & Hot Blonds is also gone

Stewiecasserole
27-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Never mind .....plenty more rides out there......and the odd hot blonde too...... am I right Missy? :D
Damn straight I'm right :lol:

HSVR8VEE-E
27-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Never mind .....plenty more rides out there......and the odd hot blonde too...... am I right Missy? :D

Your gonna get me in trouble!

Stewiecasserole
27-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Your gonna get me in trouble!

Sweeeeet......I'll have some company when I get banished :D

richo7502000
27-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Hahahhaha thought u only had eyes for HRD Stewie....:rolleyes:

Stewiecasserole
27-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Hahahhaha thought u only had eyes for HRD Stewie....:rolleyes:

Sshhhhh:mad: that was suppose to be a secret.....now what am I going to say to Z man?